fave sitcom from the 70's

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
1. MASH: Has to be the old episodes. Henry Blake, Trapper and Frank Burns were funny. BJ, Potter and Winchester were not. It was like night and day. The series pretty much ended for me when Blake died in the plane crash.

For me it's the opposite. I couldn't stand Blake and love Potter.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
jamez25 said:
One Day At A Time- I still have a huge crush on Valerie Bertinelli
I hate to admit it, but I still do to. I remember seeing her on Touched By An Angel and she had gained a lot of weight, but the feeling was still there. So, it must be real! :p:

blindzebra

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
For me it's the opposite. I couldn't stand Blake and love Potter.

The problem with the later shows was they lost their edge, and ran out of story lines.

Early you had the silliness of Blake.

The dual bad guys in Frank and Hot Lips.

The bit parts of Klinger and the Padre.

The bond of Trapper and Hawkeye.

The heart and soul of the show, in Radar.

The later shows had a fatherly Potter.

A pompous Winchester and a lame Hot Lips.

A major role for Klinger.

An almost parody of a friendship between BJ and Hawkeye.

No Radar.

It sadly went on far too long, Potter for Blake or BJ for Trapper it could have survived, but not having Frank, the softening of Hot Lips, and swapping Radar for Klinger killed it, IMO.

Reaction score
I wasn't born until 77, so I don't have a clue about some of these...

as far as reruns...

Mash
Sanford and Sons
Three's Company
Charlie's Angels

and maybe not 70's, but The Fall Guy...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
M*A*S*H was one of my all time favorite shows. It had everything.

Taxi was just hysterical. Silverbear, I remember that scene and agree, it was great.

The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Ted Baxter is one of the all time great TV characters.

The Carol Burnett Show was the funniest.

The Dean Martin celebrity roasts were hilarious.

All in the Family was classic.

The Red Skelton Show was always fun.

The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson is still the king of talk shows.

Irving Cowboy

The Chief
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Taxi was just hysterical. Silverbear, I remember that scene and agree, it was great.
That episode that was mentioned above and the one where Louie picked up some kid who took all his money by betting him on different things... finally the kid made a bet with him and if he won the bet he could drive the cab. Well of course the kid won and scoots over to Louie's seat and the first thing he does is pulls out the pillow that Louie had been sitting on saying "I don't need this pillow" and the look on Louie's face...

Hostile said:
All in the Family was classic.
By far my favorite... my wife just sent me season 4 to watch out here. Every day I try and watch a new episode out of the first three seasons I have already. I was dying the other day when Archie explained how and why God cursed women with menstruation... or, as Gloria called it, God's "mistake". Archie says "Hey, HEY! God don't make no mistakes, that's how he got to be God...". Then he goes on to say "Adam and Eve, they had it pretty soft there in paradise, they didn't even know they was naked... then one day, Even told poor Adam to eat that apple, God got sore at 'em, told them to put their clothes on and get the hell out of his garden... "

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Different Strokes and Good Times.
I was too young to get Archie Bunker but family watched it.

Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley were 60's shows that just stretched into the 70's right? I watched a ton of epidsodes of each but it seems they were all reruns.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Irving Cowboy said:
That episode that was mentioned above and the one where Louie picked up some kid who took all his money by betting him on different things... finally the kid made a bet with him and if he won the bet he could drive the cab. Well of course the kid won and scoots over to Louie's seat and the first thing he does is pulls out the pillow that Louie had been sitting on saying "I don't need this pillow" and the look on Louie's face...

By far my favorite... my wife just sent me season 4 to watch out here. Every day I try and watch a new episode out of the first three seasons I have already. I was dying the other day when Archie explained how and why God cursed women with menstruation... or, as Gloria called it, God's "mistake". Archie says "Hey, HEY! God don't make no mistakes, that's how he got to be God...". Then he goes on to say "Adam and Eve, they had it pretty soft there in paradise, they didn't even know they was naked... then one day, Even told poor Adam to eat that apple, God got sore at 'em, told them to put their clothes on and get the hell out of his garden... "
I watched the episode with Sammy Davis Jr. last night and laughed just as hard as the first time I saw it. The look on Archie's face when Sammy kisses him on the cheek is priceless.

Irving Cowboy

The Chief
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I watched the episode with Sammy Davis Jr. last night and laughed just as hard as the first time I saw it. The look on Archie's face when Sammy kisses him on the cheek is priceless.
Yep... did you know that episode is in the Guiness Book of World Records as the longest continuous laugh of a live studio audience in television history??

"Excuse me, Mr. Davis... but do you take cream & sugar in your eye?" :)

Irving Cowboy

The Chief
Reaction score
jterrell said:
Different Strokes and Good Times.
I was too young to get Archie Bunker but family watched it.

Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley were 60's shows that just stretched into the 70's right? I watched a ton of epidsodes of each but it seems they were all reruns.
No, Happy Days started up in the early 70's... I used to like that show but not as much as I liked Taxi and All in the Family...

I know this is about sitcoms, but my favorite all time shows during the 70's where Emergency! (which just happens to come out on DVD on August 23, my birthday) and the Six Million Dollar Man. How many of us ran around making those silly bionic sounds every time we lifted a rock or broke a pencil?

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
Mark me down for the old Bob Newhart Show. Howard Borden (and his brother, Warden Gordon Borden) killed me on that show. When it's my deal on poker night, I always call out at least one game of 5-card Sneeho...

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Chief said:
There were only three that I liked during that decade:

3. Taxi: The prelude to Cheers and the other clever, well-written sitcoms that were to come in the 1980s.

I agree with that. As someone whose TV memories start in the 80's, I always thought Taxi was one of those timeless sitcoms that reminded me more of the comedy revolution that began with SNL.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
The dual bad guys in Frank and Hot Lips.

Hot Lips cons everyone into throwing a surprise party for Frank.

Hot Lips- "You see Frank, they all LOVE you!!!!"

Frank- It was their hate that fooled me."

Soap- when Burt thought he could make himself invisible.

Taxi- MariLu Henner :gent: o yeah

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I forgot one of my favorites. I loved Barney Miller.

One of my favorite episodes was when Wojo's girlfriend made hash laced brownies and Yamana was high as a kite.

Barney comes over and asks him how many he ate and he motions him in close then whispers in his ear, "mushi, mushi."

I also loved how Fish talked about feeling good for the 1st time in years.

DLK150

The Quiet Man
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I forgot one of my favorites. I loved Barney Miller.

One of my favorite episodes was when Wojo's girlfriend made hash laced brownies and Yamana was high as a kite.

Barney comes over and asks him how many he ate and he motions him in close then whispers in his ear, "mushi, mushi."

I also loved how Fish talked about feeling good for the 1st time in years.

I had forgotten about Barney Miller, but I remember that episode as well. I can see Yemana when he was saying that, with his lips pursed up when he said it. :)