Favre: McNair 'doesn't deserve' exile

cowboyblue31

Reaction score
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (AP) -- Brett Favre, who has been treated like family by the Green Bay Packers while deciding if he will leave or quit, criticized the Tennessee Titans' exile of Steve McNair.

"All of the things he has done for that team," Favre said Thursday. "He really has been the face of that team for the last 10 or 11 years, the one bright spot really. To be treated that way I think is really unfair. He doesn't deserve it ... It is not right."

The Titans on April 3 had a team trainer tell McNair, co-MVP in 2003, that he could not work out on the team's property until they can reach a deal reworking his contract. They fear an injury would put them on the hook for $23.46 million under the salary cap.

Favre and McNair have the same agent, Bus Cook.

McNair agreed to a six-year extension with Tennessee for $47 million in June 2001, a deal reworked often to provide the Titans with much-needed salary cap space until now. The Titans declined to pay a $50 million option to extend his deal, which now runs through 2006.

The players' union has filed a grievance on McNair's behalf, charging the Titans breached his contract.

Favre declined to comment about his own playing future, but he made the comments before attending a fundraiser for the Chattanooga football program as a guest of coach Rodney Allison. He was quarterbacks coach at Southern Mississippi when Favre played for the Golden Eagles.

Favre also described Terrell Owens, who played at Chattanooga, as a "phenomenal player, we all think that. I think every team that picks him up thinks that they can maybe change the way he approaches things.

"Dallas is loading up and if he can give them the year that he gave Philly his first year they feel like they'll be in the Super Bowl," Favre said.

"I don't know if there is a player out there who is as dominant as he is, when he wants to be. I know he can't be covered. He is his own worst enemy or has been. But would I have loved to have signed him? Sure."As Favre arrived at Chattanooga's Finley Stadium, he was greeted outside by a Packers fan displaying a sign: "Favre's No. 1 fan from Thailand" and stopped to be photographed with him.

"Jack" Wattanawongsawang, 33, of Chattanooga said he has been a Packers fan since moving to the United States 10 years ago and later getting introduced to football on a visit to Lambeau Field.

Wattanawongsawang said he wants Favre to make decision on his playing future based on "what is best for him. I want it to be best for him. As a Packer fan I'd like to see him as long as I could."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/04/20/bc.fbn.favre.mcnair.ap/index.html

stilltheguru

Reaction score
***?

who cares what brett has to say these days?:rolleyes:

im gettin sick of that guy

Pokes28

Reaction score
Just like Javon deserved to get a raise, but because Brett sided with the club over the player, he came in and was injured. Had Brett just shut the hell up, Walker probably would have stuck to his guns.

I've been sick of Favre ever since the Barry Sanders 2000 yard season when he said "it would be a travesty if I didn't win the MVP this year." So he ended up splitting it with the guy that truly dominated the league (2000 yards in the final 14 games).

David Harrell - Pokes
dwh

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cowboyblue31 said:
Favre also described Terrell Owens, who played at Chattanooga, as a "phenomenal player, we all think that. I think every team that picks him up thinks that they can maybe change the way he approaches things.

"Dallas is loading up and if he can give them the year that he gave Philly his first year they feel like they'll be in the Super Bowl," Favre said.

"I don't know if there is a player out there who is as dominant as he is, when he wants to be. I know he can't be covered. He is his own worst enemy or has been. But would I have loved to have signed him? Sure."
There's a way you can throw to him Brett. But it requires a move south.

:wink2:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
stilltheguru said:
***?

who cares what brett has to say these days?:rolleyes:

im gettin sick of that guy

Well... apparantly... you do. Since you did click on the thread.

:cool:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Brett Favre need to shut his stupid mouth! He's holding his ballclub hostage by not making a comittment...and he wants to talk about McNair?

McNair has to shut his stupid mouth also! The Titans are just making sure that he does not get injured and have to pay huge amounts of money, unless he redoes his contract! That just business!

And T.O. better shut his stupid mouth too, and win the Boyz a SuperBowl

And really, why would any culture, of any race, want to keep a name like Wattanawongsawang! I bet that dude could not spell his last name until he was like 24 years old! But he says, just call me "Jack"! :eek: What if "Jack" were a football player? How do they put that name on a jersey? What about his personal checkbook...is there enough room for a name like that on his check? Does this "Jack" go through some serious Sharpies everytime he has to sign his name? I mean, come on, here! "Jack" only has one vowel in his last name! :confused: OK! Let's see how many WORDS you guy/gals can come up with out of his last name?

I see a "song"..."saw", "watt"....? Anymore words that you can come up with? :p:

Gibby!

Pom Pom Waving Shill
Reaction score
5Stars said:
McNair has to shut his stupid mouth also! The Titans are just making sure that he does not get injured and have to pay huge amounts of money, unless he redoes his contract! That just business!

McNair isn't the one doing the complaining. And it's just business to the fact that he's forcing the Titan's to honor a contract he signed in good faith :p: I think more players should do it, and have always thought so. Don't give me a crap contract worht 50 bijillian if your only going to pay me 5.

calico

Reaction score
I agree with his thoughts on McNair, but Brett needs to realize that he needs to shut his mouth. It is none of his DAMN business what is going on outside the Packers organization. He has his own damn problems and he needs to let the Pack move on with their damn lives.

ghst187

Reaction score
I like how punk*** players appeal to the team as "family" when it serves their interest but appeal as "businessmen" when that's in their interest.
Bang Cartoons had it right on by showing Favre holding the Packers hostage, that's exactly what he's doing. They are stupid to allow it. May they rest in the best their moronicism is making.
McNair shouldn't be too terribly upset, Tennessee is about 5 years away from being competitive and Steve hasn't played 16 games cumulatively over the last 5 years. Poor poor Steve...
Favre has enough problems of his own, he needs to **** about anyone else. He needs to retire himself. Of course, I am somewhat enjoying seeing him burn a lot of his fans, the entire Gaybay franchise, and his legacy. What a punk.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Favre isn't holding the Packers hostage. They drafted a QB in the first last year. If Brett retires they won't be drafting another one in the first this year. The roster bonus has been moved to July.

Get a grip, People. The only thing worse then him taking his time would be for him to rush to a decision. If Troy Aikman had been in the exact situation I'd HOPE that cowboys fans would have enough class to let him take his time.

And about the "Brett shouldn't worry about anything outside the Packers organization" comment, well unless I assume you're a cowboys fan. You shouldn't worry about anything outside the cowboys organization. How the **** does Favre taking his time making his decision effect YOUR team?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Rack said:
And about the "Brett shouldn't worry about anything outside the Packers organization" comment, well unless I assume you're a cowboys fan. You shouldn't worry about anything outside the cowboys organization. How the **** does Favre taking his time making his decision effect YOUR team?

Why don't you just SHUT UP! :laugh2: :D

:star:

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Rack said:

I'll put two more stiches on your nose! Don't yell at me! Boy! :D

HEY, just for fun!

:dissskin:

TAKE THAT! SUCKER RedStinks!

Are you a Cowboy fan?

If not...you are going to have problems! Do Not Bet Against the Cowboys this year...

YOU will loose....!:rolleyes:

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
5Stars said:
I'll put two more stiches on your nose! Don't yell at me! Boy! :D

HEY, just for fun!

:dissskin:

TAKE THAT! SUCKER RedStinks!

Are you a Cowboy fan?

If not...you are going to have problems! Do Not Bet Against the Cowboys this year...

YOU will loose....!:rolleyes:

16-0!