Favre vs. Romo

jchocolate82

Reaction score
I was looking at this debate on another board and wanted to see what you guys thought. Who do you think is better right now Romo or Favre and dont point out the obvious about Favres legacy cause we're not idiots and realize favre has done a lot in his career to be consider one of the greatest ever. The question I'm asking for debate is who is better NOW. I'll even except who will finish with a better legacy once both careers are said and done

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
For this year I'd take Romo. For Favre at the same age I'd take Favre. When Romo is 38 I might take Favre at 38 over him.

It is very hard to compare a 26 to 27 year old QB to a 38 year old one and have it be equitable.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1738426 said:
To be fair, Green Bay's WRs and RBs pale in comparison...
You do realize Romo is throwing to Crayton and Hurd, right? I'd take James Jones, Greg Jennings, and Donald Driver over Crayton and Hurd.

jchocolate82

Reaction score
right now I would have to take Romo as far as Legacy that would be hard but if Romo can be anywhere as durable as favre has been I think he can have a better legacy because JJ will do anything to give Romo the weapons to succeed as long as he keeps playing at a high level to keep the team competitive.

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Right now, I'd take Romo, much younger and bit more elusive. Favre still possesses strong arm and is playing better than last few years, he is having a great season and it's simply amazing that at his age he is playing at such a high level. Major props from me.

DawnOfANewD

Reaction score
theogt;1738432 said:
You do realize Romo is throwing to Crayton and Hurd, right? I'd take James Jones, Greg Jennings, and Donald Driver over Crayton and Hurd.

What happened to Owens and Witten (and Glenn when he's healthy)? Owens + Witten + Crayton + Glenn + Hurd + 2 decent pass-catching RB's in Jones and Barber > than whatever GB can throw out there. Their WR's only have good numbers because their running game sucks so they have to throw all the time. Their last game notwithstanding, Favre has had to deal with no running game to speak of this season.

Anyways, Romo > Favre. Favre is such a primadonna. I love how he takes the entire offseason to decide if he's going to return for another season or not. Romo on the other hand seems like a genuinely humble and nice guy.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
theogt;1738432 said:

No I did not know that Romo was throwing to them. :rolleyes:

So you would be fine trading our offense for Green Bays offense minus the QB?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1738439 said:
No I did not know that Romo was throwing to them. :rolleyes:

So you would be fine trading our offense for Green Bays offense minus the QB?
No, but I wouldn't trade QBs either.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
DawnOfANewD;1738438 said:
What happened to Owens and Witten (and Glenn when he's healthy)? Owens + Witten + Crayton + Glenn + Hurd + 2 decent pass-catching RB's in Jones and Barber > than whatever GB can throw out there. Their WR's only have good numbers because their running game sucks so they have to throw all the time. Their last game notwithstanding, Favre has had to deal with no running game to speak of this season.

Anyways, Romo > Favre. Favre is such a primadonna. I love how he takes the entire offseason to decide if he's going to return for another season or not. Romo on the other hand seems like a genuinely humble and nice guy.
Witten isn't a wide receiver.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
theogt;1738452 said:
No, but I wouldn't trade QBs either.

I didn't say I would either, I would stick with Romo. That being said, Favre has been working with very little talent the last few years and has been getting killed in the process.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I think you could put Romo on just about any good team and he would make them better including the Packers.

Favre is my favorite QB of all time too. But Romo is just better right now.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Something I read in the thread comparing Romo to Favre sparked an item for discussion.

It has ALWAYS been argued, even back in the early 90's that Favre was having to operate with basically no help. Even now someone just argued that Favre has no weapons compared to Romo.

Well, my theory is that it is Favre's reputation and bigger than life image that contributes to that thought. Favre is always the center of attention, always is the center of the discussion so that even when his teammates play great, it is the GREATNESS OF FAVRE that explains it.

For example:

1992 - He had Sterling Sharpe and Jackie Harris to throw to, with a young Edgar Bennett and Robert Brooks on the team.

1993 - Edgar Bennett and Darrell Thompson, Sterling Sharpe and Mark Clayton, Robert Brooks, Jackie Harris.

1994 - Edgar Bennett, Reggie Cobb, Sterling Sharpe, Robert Brooks and Anthony Morgan, Ed West, Mark Chmura

**Now, before you make a judgment let me remind you of something. The first year that Sterling Sharpe was gone Robert Brooks produced these numbers: 102 catches for 1497 yards and a 14.9 avg. Realize that Brooks was their 2ND RECEIVER during the time that Sharpe was there.

**Compare that with Alvin Harper's numbers, or Kevin William's numbers, or Kelvin Martin's numbers at ANY TIME in their career.

**Granted, Edgar Bennett or Dorsey Levens (who will come later) were no Emmitt Smith, but they weren't terrible.

Edgar Bennett had over 1,000 yards rushing in 1994 and had 61 catches as well.

1995 - Bennett, Levens, Robert Brooks, Mark Ingram, Anthony Morgan, Mark Chmura, Keith Jackson

1996 - Bennett, Levens, Antonio Freeman, Robert Brooks, Don Bebee, Andre Rison, Keith Jackson, Mark Chmura (Not exactly a bare cupboard)

1997 - Levens (1435 yards rushing and 53 catches); Brooks and Freeman (both 1,000 yard receivers); Chmura

I'm not going to go any farther. My point is that Brett Favre had some great people to work with. It wasn't just Brett Favre. Yet, a lot of those guys were not appreciated during their careers because even in those days it was all about Brett Favre.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
rcaldw;1738487 said:
Something I read in the thread comparing Romo to Favre sparked an item for discussion.

It has ALWAYS been argued, even back in the early 90's that Favre was having to operate with basically no help. Even now someone just argued that Favre has no weapons compared to Romo.

Well, my theory is that it is Favre's reputation and bigger than life image that contributes to that thought. Favre is always the center of attention, always is the center of the discussion so that even when his teammates play great, it is the GREATNESS OF FAVRE that explains it.

For example:

1992 - He had Sterling Sharpe and Jackie Harris to throw to, with a young Edgar Bennett and Robert Brooks on the team.

1993 - Edgar Bennett and Darrell Thompson, Sterling Sharpe and Mark Clayton, Robert Brooks, Jackie Harris.

1994 - Edgar Bennett, Reggie Cobb, Sterling Sharpe, Robert Brooks and Anthony Morgan, Ed West, Mark Chmura

**Now, before you make a judgment let me remind you of something. The first year that Sterling Sharpe was gone Robert Brooks produced these numbers: 102 catches for 1497 yards and a 14.9 avg. Realize that Brooks was their 2ND RECEIVER during the time that Sharpe was there.

**Compare that with Alvin Harper's numbers, or Kevin William's numbers, or Kelvin Martin's numbers at ANY TIME in their career.

**Granted, Edgar Bennett or Dorsey Levens (who will come later) were no Emmitt Smith, but they weren't terrible.

Edgar Bennett had over 1,000 yards rushing in 1994 and had 61 catches as well.

1995 - Bennett, Levens, Robert Brooks, Mark Ingram, Anthony Morgan, Mark Chmura, Keith Jackson

1996 - Bennett, Levens, Antonio Freeman, Robert Brooks, Don Bebee, Andre Rison, Keith Jackson, Mark Chmura (Not exactly a bare cupboard)

1997 - Levens (1435 yards rushing and 53 catches); Brooks and Freeman (both 1,000 yard receivers); Chmura

I'm not going to go any farther. My point is that Brett Favre had some great people to work with. It wasn't just Brett Favre. Yet, a lot of those guys were not appreciated during their careers because even in those days it was all about Brett Favre.

All that work to just leave out the 10 years of football that people refer to when talking about Favre carrying the team.

Romo is working with Owens (Within top 15 all time in receiving yards) and Witten (Put up over 900 yards with Testaverde) and I mention that what he has to work with is better than what Favre has had to work with lately, as in not 10 years ago and this is what sets you off?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Romo is the NFC's leading passer

Romo > Favre

I don't want to hear the crap about our weapons being better than Green Bay's, that's the Green Bay FO's fault

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score

there is nothing wrong with GB's wr's...when they are healthy, they have a good group

David

rcaldw

Reaction score
dallasfaniac;1738528 said:
All that work to just leave out the 10 years of football that people refer to when talking about Favre carrying the team.

Romo is working with Owens (Within top 15 all time in receiving yards) and Witten (Put up over 900 yards with Testaverde) and I mention that what he has to work with is better than what Favre has had to work with lately, as in not 10 years ago and this is what sets you off?

No, I actually wouldn't take huge issue with your contention about this season. My point was, they have been saying this about Favre from the VERY BEGINNING, and yet when you look back at those early years he wasn't without help. He played with some very good players.