CFZ Feel better about Waletzko after rewatching first half

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Some reviews on here had me concerned about Waletzko's play against Jacksonville, but I went back and rewatched the first half only focusing on him and his game was pretty solid. He gave up a few late pressures until the last drive (our TD). Isaiah Stanback pointed him out on a sack that was given up by Farniok, but Waletzko did his job on the play. He gave up ground and then walled off, but he was struck in the back when Farniok was beaten by the DT off the snap (DT one-arm shoved Farniok out of his way) and then Ball lost contain on his man who polished off the sack.

On the last drive, Waletzko may have held on the deep throw to Tolbert that was called back by penalty. The broadcasters were saying it was offensive pass interference, but they never showed what the penalty was. Waletzko has a tendency, though, to put his arm around the throat of the defender when the defender is starting to get around him. He also did this on the TD throw to Tolbert and I thought it could be called holding. Other than those plays, there was only one pass rep where he clearly was beaten, and it was a quick throw so it didn't affect the pass.

Where I thought he had some trouble was his run blocking, especially early on. He tends to stay high in his run blocks so the defender works under him and loose. However, on the last drive, he seemed to keep his grip on the defender and made several solid run blocks. Of course, he was facing lower-caliber DEs by then.

I'm just not displeased, like I thought I would be based on some comments here. He has some things to clean up, but it as a solid first half for him overall. There was a play where Grier got hit because he and Ball didn't trade defenders on a stunt, but it seemed to be more Ball's fault because he wasn't in position to trade. If Waletzko had let his man go, the QB would have been creamed.

Just thought I would throw my two cents in after focusing on Waletzko for a half.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Waletzko has a tendency, though, to put his arm around the throat of the defender when the defender is starting to get around him. He also did this on the TD throw to Tolbert and I thought it could be called holding.
A material restrictive arm around the neck IS holding per the rules, UNLESS it's the defender using a rip technique to put an OL in that position. This is why Parsons wasn't drawing a lot of holding calls because the rip move began to be his favorite to get past a defender. On those videos of Tyron holding Parsons in camp, he wasn't using a rip move in either case so perhaps he's diversified for this season.

gimmesix

Reaction score
A material restrictive arm around the neck IS holding per the rules, UNLESS it's the defender using a rip technique to put an OL in that position. This is why Parsons wasn't drawing a lot of holding calls because the rip move began to be his favorite to get past a defender. On those videos of Tyron holding Parsons in camp, he wasn't using a rip move in either case so perhaps he's diversified for this season.
On a couple of the plays, it was hard to tell if the defender used a rip move. On another one, it was pretty clear that he did. On each of those plays, the defender did try to go under his block to get around him, but I'm not sure it was with a rip move each time.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Some reviews on here had me concerned about Waletzko's play against Jacksonville, but I went back and rewatched the first half only focusing on him and his game was pretty solid. He gave up a few late pressures until the last drive (our TD). Isaiah Stanback pointed him out on a sack that was given up by Farniok, but Waletzko did his job on the play. He gave up ground and then walled off, but he was struck in the back when Farniok was beaten by the DT off the snap (DT one-arm shoved Farniok out of his way) and then Ball lost contain on his man who polished off the sack.

On the last drive, Waletzko may have held on the deep throw to Tolbert that was called back by penalty. The broadcasters were saying it was offensive pass interference, but they never showed what the penalty was. Waletzko has a tendency, though, to put his arm around the throat of the defender when the defender is starting to get around him. He also did this on the TD throw to Tolbert and I thought it could be called holding. Other than those plays, there was only one pass rep where he clearly was beaten, and it was a quick throw so it didn't affect the pass.

Where I thought he had some trouble was his run blocking, especially early on. He tends to stay high in his run blocks so the defender works under him and loose. However, on the last drive, he seemed to keep his grip on the defender and made several solid run blocks. Of course, he was facing lower-caliber DEs by then.

I'm just not displeased, like I thought I would be based on some comments here. He has some things to clean up, but it as a solid first half for him overall. There was a play where Grier got hit because he and Ball didn't trade defenders on a stunt, but it seemed to be more Ball's fault because he wasn't in position to trade. If Waletzko had let his man go, the QB would have been creamed.

Just thought I would throw my two cents in after focusing on Waletzko for a half.
Any thoughts of walenzco being some legit swing tackle should now be put to bed. He was terrible. Cant say i didnt warn you.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Good analysis. Waletzko needs time and reps to get better. He has the size and skills to potentially become a better O-Tackle, but he needs time and as many reps right now as possible.

As for Farniok, he is excellent in run blocking. A total bull. It's his pass blocking where he tends to get bullrushed or burned because he has a bad habit of standing up too tall. I hope Coach Mike Solari picks this up and works Farniok hard to stay low, bent at the hips with much better balance and leverage to take and handle any future bullrushes and power swim/slap moves. Farniok is on his heels when he stands up too tall during pass blocking. Get him staying low and more balanced on his toes and front half of his feet. That will drastically improve his pass blocking. The potential is there. Just need to improve his technique.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Good analysis. Waletzko needs time and reps to get better. He has the size and skills to potentially become a better O-Tackle, but he needs time and as many reps right now as possible.

As for Farniok, he is excellent in run blocking. A total bull. It's his pass blocking where he tends to get bullrushed or burned because he has a bad habit of standing up too tall. I hope Coach Mike Solari picks this up and works Farniok hard to stay low, bent at the hips with much better balance and leverage to take and handle any future bullrushes and power swim/slap moves. Farniok is on his heels when he stands up too tall during pass blocking. Get him staying low and more balanced on his toes and front half of his feet. That will drastically improve his pass blocking. The potential is there. Just need to improve his technique.

Well, and he's got time to develop. I'm going to guess he will probably make the team with the goal of developing him.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Any thoughts of walenzco being some legit swing tackle should now be put to bed. He was terrible. Cant say i didnt warn you.
Say negative things for no reason 1000 times in a row and eventually you'll be right. Doesn't mean you're clairvoyant or insightful.

I'm still waiting for Steele to miss games, as you promised.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I agree. Im certainly no expert and will hope to be wrong on this one, but I dont see it in this guy.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
This is a pretty good breakdown of Waletzko. He's on par with a lot of swing tackles in the league.

He's such a good athlete that he can recover when he's initially beat or doesnt have perfect technique - that means sometimes it will look ugly, but might be effective all th esame.
He has good feet. Seems to be lacking technique and overall body strength. I do agree with you that he's a good enough athlete to hang around the league for a while as a backup.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Say negative things for no reason 1000 times in a row and eventually you'll be right. Doesn't mean you're clairvoyant or insightful.

Roy blocked me since he can't handle being disputed or proven wrong. I bet he never played on the Oline ever in his life, yet he acts as if he knows. lol

CowboysRule

Reaction score

He just craps on the OL constantly so he can blame them if/when Dak falters. It's been his thing for years now. It's obvious he didn't even read the OP.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He just craps on the OL constantly so he can blame them if/when Dak falters. It's been his thing for years now. It's obvious he didn't even read the OP.
He craps on everything lol. I guess except Dak but for the most part he's consistent. Then he comes by to say he "warned us" or is "right" on something he never even said lol.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

i-didnt-ask-jack-nicholson.gif

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Roy did say no one would sign Zeke. I understand why Reality wants the "attacks" to stop, but it's hard to ignore some posters who constantly say negative things, yet time proves them wrong.
If the guy came in more humble no one would even say a peep about him being wrong. He can’t even take accountability and admit he was wrong instead he will continue to tell us he’s always right. Like a poster above said if you make 1,000 statements you’re bound to be right at some point lol;

gimmesix

Reaction score

Since I was trying to stay focused on Waletzko, I didn't really watch Farniok closely. He was really bad on the sack, though. He tried to set and absorb and the DT just punched him out of the way. It was definitely not a rep he'd want to put on a highlight reel. I would have liked to kept rewinding and watch each of the linemen's individual work but I didn't have time for that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Its just common sense. Doesnt mean he wont develop but this year he will struggle.