Feels at Least One Guy Short, Doesn't it?

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Like many of you, I’ve been spamming mock draft simulators for amusement. Without trades this year, the results have been leaving the same taste in my mouth. I’m one guy short! Each time I complete the draft exercise I find myself wishing the Cowboys would have found a way to keep one of four players – Tyron, Tony, Tyler, or Hankins. I realize these guys all have their shortcomings but being able to pencil at least one of them in to start the season would have made a big difference.

Just did a mock and with my first selection I took Newton just to see how things played out. I felt like I was in scramble mode for the rest of my selections as players I was thinking would be there for my next pick were being grabbed 1 and 2 selections ahead of me. Hmm…it’s almost as if the application is learning my tendencies and responding in a manner to counter my moves. Scary.

Have any of you reached a similar conclusion in that if just one of the guys (warts and all) was kept a Cowboy part of the pressure of this draft could be measurably decreased? If keeping one of the aforementioned (or not mentioned) players would have made life easier in terms of the draft, who would it have been for you?

I wonder to what degree the Jones’ have thought through (to the not being able to sleep degree I would hope) how this period of mass player exodus correlates to the amount of pressure it’s going to put on the draft and 2nd year personnel. I get “All in” doesn’t mean going on a wild spending spree but possibly restructuring a couple contracts could have paved the way to keep at least one key contributor. To me, the longer this goes, the worse the optics.

I’ve been very hesitant to consider what’s taking place as being some kind of hard reset cuz I just don’t believe that’s in Jerry’s nature, and I’ve maintained that a Dak deal is forthcoming. Again, that’s what the Jones’ do. But many of you have hopped the fence and believe that the times they are a changin’. I don’t know. Maybe the fence-hoppers are getting it right.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm feeling like this is a tank-out season. This team is too talented to truly tank out and finish with a top 5 pick, but it's all about getting players, coaches, and money off the books by 2025.

So I'm not worried about the team filling holes this season. Just draft good football players and give them a year.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Like many of you, I’ve been spamming mock draft simulators for amusement. Without trades this year, the results have been leaving the same taste in my mouth. I’m one guy short! Each time I complete the draft exercise I find myself wishing the Cowboys would have found a way to keep one of four players – Tyron, Tony, Tyler, or Hankins. I realize these guys all have their shortcomings but being able to pencil at least one of them in to start the season would have made a big difference.

Just did a mock and with my first selection I took Newton just to see how things played out. I felt like I was in scramble mode for the rest of my selections as players I was thinking would be there for my next pick were being grabbed 1 and 2 selections ahead of me. Hmm…it’s almost as if the application is learning my tendencies and responding in a manner to counter my moves. Scary.

Have any of you reached a similar conclusion in that if just one of the guys (warts and all) was kept a Cowboy part of the pressure of this draft could be measurably decreased? If keeping one of the aforementioned (or not mentioned) players would have made life easier in terms of the draft, who would it have been for you?

I wonder to what degree the Jones’ have thought through (to the not being able to sleep degree I would hope) how this period of mass player exodus correlates to the amount of pressure it’s going to put on the draft and 2nd year personnel. I get “All in” doesn’t mean going on a wild spending spree but possibly restructuring a couple contracts could have paved the way to keep at least one key contributor. To me, the longer this goes, the worse the optics.

I’ve been very hesitant to consider what’s taking place as being some kind of hard reset cuz I just don’t believe that’s in Jerry’s nature, and I’ve maintained that a Dak deal is forthcoming. Again, that’s what the Jones’ do. But many of you have hopped the fence and believe that the times they are a changin’. I don’t know. Maybe the fence-hoppers are getting it right.
Just 1? That's pretty good.

morasp

Reaction score
I was pretty happy with my last one. It kind of depends on how you feel about the last few drafts.

Mazi Smith DT is he a bust after just one season? We took Russell Maryland number one overall and he took a while to develop
Luke Schoonmaker looked good despite being slowed early on due to injury
Demarvion Overshown LB they must have seen something to take him on day 2
Vilami Fehoko DL hasn't had a chance yet
Asim Richards OL saw the field as a rookie
Eric Scott DB Day three pick but we used a draft pick to trade up for him
TJ Bass OL Looked pretty good as UDFA

Sam Williams DE Much higher production that Armstrong in his first two seasons
Jalen Tolbert WR Should be able to match Gallup's production last season, still need a top tier WR
Damone Clark LB

Chauncey Golston DL has been productive as rotational player on the defensive line
Nashon Wright DB
Israel Mukaumu DB

Osa Odighizuwa 46 tackles 3 sks 9 TFL 13 QB hits not too bad for a third round pick

They do need a RB I don't know if MM likes to draft them too high but there are three that stand out.
They do need help on the OL and it's a good draft to do that
I think they need to upgrade the talent level at WR, in the last three drafts we've taken one WR with a late third round pick
They need to add some LBs
They do need to add some DL talent but in the last three drafts we've taken five in rounds 1-4.

Reactions: JPM

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm feeling like this is a tank-out season. This team is too talented to truly tank out and finish with a top 5 pick, but it's all about getting players, coaches, and money off the books by 2025.

So I'm not worried about the team filling holes this season. Just draft good football players and give them a year.
I feel the same. Get foundational players