Few thoughts on FA...4 starters

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
There are a few players that could come right in and start and greatly improve this team...plus getting a few healthy ones back (Campbell, Glenn and Hunter).

I think having Hunter go down was pretty big...he was starting to get comfortable there, then we ended with all caos after he went down. I still think we need a proven vet. May not be cost prohibative, but I hope we get a CB in FA. Here are a few names I think would have a huge impact for 2005...

~ Ryan Diem (ORT) from Colts...guy has been very consistant and is very young at 26. I think he becomes a must with the unknown of Rogers and the surgery he had. We have no idea what we have in him concerning the surgery...I'd rather lock this position down with Diem!
~ Ed Hartwell (MLB) from Balt...plays in 3-4 now, and is a rock as MLB...tough.
~ Ken Lucas (CB) from seattle...he may be more affordable then we think...I would feel good if we landed this kid. Is really coming into his own as RCB with good ballhawking skills, and will hit. Good combo for a physical defense we need.
OR
~ Gary Baxter (CB) from Balt...This kid is very physical and has good ability...not as much a ball hawk, but good CB. My preference is Lucas, but would be happy with Baxter.
~ Pat Williams (DT) from Buff...Yes he is older, but would serve the NT purpose for a couple years as we bring in younger replacements and rotation players. Willie Blade may help some here, but we need a constant here....Ferguson is another good option.

Simply adding Diem as RT may secure the Oline...hopefully Peterman or Gurode can compete for the RG or a draft pic here.

As for Defense...adding Hartwell, Lucas, and Williams would be HUGE...no matter what base we play.

Simply adding these 4 players to our starting rotation & getting back Campbell, Hunter (as slot CB), and Glenn...not even counting the draft would GREATLY improve this team...IMHO.