Field goal holding a problem as well?

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
Vandy deserves blame, but is there more involved than the kicker in our field goal problems the last few years?

-- Vandy has looked awful. He's the NFL's leading field goal percentage kicker.

-- Our previous kickers in the last few years have all looked awful.

-- We all remember Cortez blaming the holder.

-- Then Cundiff (http://wfrv.com/sports/local_story_158112648.html)
Cundiff said he isn't very picky about his holds, especially given coach Bill Parcells' attitude toward holders in Dallas.

"I'd like to be particular given the chance, but during my time in Dallas the holders really weren't maybe as skilled as they should have been," Cundiff said. "So a lot of time it was just, deal with what hold you got and put it through. I've always taken it upon myself that it's my responsibility to put the ball through the uprights. As long as the holder doesn't really screw it up, as long as the snapper doesn't miss it, it should be my responsibility. ... Coach Parcells didn't really care who the holder was. It was more the kickers responsibility."
-- Then earlier this training camp there was this blurb (http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives/2006/08/vanderjagt_back_on_the_field.html):
Vanderjagt has struggled early in camp, but the good news is that we've found the problem. A "heavy hold" from Tony Romo.
I am loving Romo's QB play and am excited for his potential. But I would love to see Crayton or someone else with good, quick hands try some holding at some point.

DBoys

Reaction score
Because 3 people have struggled there has to be something else. Great post man should be a good discussion.

DallasCowboysRule!

Reaction score
When I saw this thread it reminded me of Ace Ventura.

LACES OUT!!

:laugh2:

I don't know though. I guess it's possible were getting bad holds but I think our kickers are just shanking thier kicks.

DefendeR

Benched
Reaction score
Starting to think that too....the mechanics of the kicking unit are messing up!

Cowboy Bebop

Reaction score
We all know the real reason behind the problem...Romo is really Lucy in disguise!

meet_lucy_big.gif

Don't let that smile fool you...

Bob Dole

Reaction score
DBoys said:
Because 3 people have struggled there has to be something else. Great post man should be a good discussion.

All the kickers that have sucked here have sucked everywhere else too. A couple of them aren't even in the league anymore.

Paniolo22

Hawaiian Cowboy
Reaction score
I thought about that when it was first brought up, but I blew it off. Now I think there is something to it. I don't really know what a heavy hold is, but I think holder auditions should begin on Friday. I doesn't look like rocket science.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Bah.

Cortez and Cundiff never latched on to any other teams and had success. And they had their chances. I think it's more to do with them than any holder.

And as far as Vandy, just a drunk kicker who has recurring groin problems.

I seriously doubt the holder is so bad that these guys are blowing all these field goals in the microwave known as Texas Stadium.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Paniolo22 said:
I thought about that when it was first brought up, but I blew it off. Now I think there is something to it. I don't really know what a heavy hold is, but I think holder auditions should begin on Friday. I doesn't look like rocket science.

...tilt the ball to the wrong direction or press down too hard to steady the ball off the spin.

Honest guys, this is a very hard aspect of the game to tell. The best way to evaluate whether we have a poor holder is to get ourselves either Josh Miller or Koy Detmer who are considered masters of the FG hold.

Just from watching film it would be impossible to tell. I guess the one disturbing aspect of this situation is that many of the kicks this season have been going wide right.

If Vandy has a sore groin, and I have gone on record with this, it would explain to an extent the problems we have been seeing.

If you are a kicker, a sore groin is not a good thing.

HighTechDave

7 Years of College Down the Drain
Reaction score
i'm sure bill will agree.

"all your job is to kick"

someone give me that job

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
davidyee said:
...tilt the ball to the wrong direction or press down too hard to steady the ball off the spin.

Honest guys, this is a very hard aspect of the game to tell. The best way to evaluate whether we have a poor holder is to get ourselves either Josh Miller or Koy Detmer who are considered masters of the FG hold.

Just from watching film it would be impossible to tell. I guess the one disturbing aspect of this situation is that many of the kicks this season have been going wide right.

If Vandy has a sore groin, and I have gone on record with this, it would explain to an extent the problems we have been seeing.

If you are a kicker, a sore groin is not a good thing.

Well.... Koy did just get cut, right? And we need a #3 QB. ;)

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
maybe its the added pressure of wearing the star.

some can deal with it.

some can't.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I think there is something to the whole operation being messed up. Cundiff, as much as he's hated, wasn't that bad before last year, IMO. He was erratic all last year, and now Vandy is erratic, too. Something's definitely amiss.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Well.... Koy did just get cut, right? And we need a #3 QB. ;)

Detmer would have to be the #2 QB to be eligible to hold

ratpower

Reaction score
this thread has crossed my mind in the past...it should not be the reason why the guy is bricking but then again, maybe it is not all on kickers...

All I know is I'm tired of our kickers bricking...hopefully Vandy gets this junk out of his system now...