Fili Moala

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
This guy is interesting. He's pretty big and I think he will continue to grow. 6-4 307 lbs. his best 40 time was 4.93. I would be very interested in his 3 cone drill time. He didn't run it at the Combine because of a Groin Strain. Makes me wonder what he might have been able to do without the injury.

Exceptional lateral movement and excells in a 1 gap scheme which tells you that he can penatrate. Not as strong as you would like but he is what Phillips looks for in a NT. He doesn't necessarily look for guys who just anchore. He looks for guys who can penatrate and force. The other thing about this guy is not in the numbers. It's how well the USC LBs are thought of. They play 34 and if you notice, all the USC LBs are very highly thought of. Any time you have that, it means that the NT or DTs in a 43 are keeping the LBs clean.

I think this guy is interesting.

Woods

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2694900 said:
This guy is interesting. He's pretty big and I think he will continue to grow. 6-4 307 lbs. his best 40 time was 4.93. I would be very interested in his 3 cone drill time. He didn't run it at the Combine because of a Groin Strain. Makes me wonder what he might have been able to do without the injury.

Exceptional lateral movement and excells in a 1 gap scheme which tells you that he can penatrate. Not as strong as you would like but he is what Phillips looks for in a NT. He doesn't necessarily look for guys who just anchore. He looks for guys who can penatrate and force. The other thing about this guy is not in the numbers. It's how well the USC LBs are thought of. They play 34 and if you notice, all the USC LBs are very highly thought of. Any time you have that, it means that the NT or DTs in a 43 are keeping the LBs clean.

I think this guy is interesting.

He is intriguing.

He was part of the rotation at USC, correct?

What I like about him is that he has the frame to add on another 15 lbs pretty easily.

He seems like a 3rd round possibility to me.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
I remember 3 months ago he was considered a top 10 pick.Not sure what happened to him but he's gone MIA.

I'd like some Beckwith in the 2nd and Fili in the 3rd.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Moala is a good anchor against the run, he won't provide much of a pass-rush though

would be an excellent rotation player at NT

NFLDraftScout says his lateral agility in a small space is reminiscent of Vince Wilfork, in fact I wouldn't mind taking 2 players from that line, Fili and DE Kyle Moore

PokerPro

Benched
Reaction score
I don't see Moala as a N.T. at all, what I would like to do is draft him to replace Spears at L.D.E.!
spears is gone after this year IMO, he's a one dimmensional 2 down player who hasn't made a big play since he was drafted.

Moala is a good fit at L.D.E., he can hold up against the run, and can get some pass rush as well.

IDEALLY I'd like to get a true N.T. at some point this year or next, move Olshansky to L.D.E. and Ratliff to R.D.E., I thikn that would make for a much better overall D-line.

But for Fili, he wouldn't be drafted by us to play N.T., if we drafted him, he'd be used as a backup D.E. for now and take over for Spears after this year IMO.

this is what New England does, take an athletic D.T. arounfd 300 pounds who can move well and make him a 3-4 D.E.!

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I remember alot of the pre-season mocks had him going #1 overall.

Fili was an everydown player at USC. He made plays but did not stand out. He did do a good job of taking up blocking allowing guys like Mauluga, Cushing, and Matthews to run free.

I think he'll play DE in a 3-4 like some had mentioned. He isn't a low anchor NT.