Recap: Final Training Camp Coach Press Conferences

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I know not everyone has time to watch these, so here are some quick recaps. Here are the Coordinator Official Press Conference Recaps for TC and PreSeason Game 1. Even more excited about our defense after watching DQ. He is not a fluff guy, and you can see how pumped up he is about all the young guys on his D and their continued improvement. Fassell has some interesting comments on adapting the XFL rule in his video, talked about it a lot, I just summarized.

Defensive Coordinator Dan Quinn (Video here.)
  • As far as the fights, you have to find an edge. When you find it, sometimes you have to go off the cliff and catch yourself. Not just fighting, because they have to take care of one another, but they must push each other. Players would agree that they need that intense competition. It is who we are, we compete hard, but we don't go over the edge.
  • With Mazi, the game is different with pads. It is with all the front seven, pushing to see what they can do now. Proud of Damone Clark too. Didn't have TC last year. I felt his and Mazi's energy on the field and texted them that. I think if we keep pushing the Defense, we will improve every month until December. I see too much hesitation without the pads, but now that they have freedom to run and hit, I'm lit up.
  • (Some reporter asked him about Micah playing 0-Tech??? :oops: Not familiar with it.)
  • Haven't seen much of LVE off the edge, when I do see it, there is improvement. LVE came in lighter and another one you can tell really applied himself in the offseason, so we see more quickness and speed. He has emerged himself in all parts of the front 7. We rely on him for a lot. His versatility has been fun to see.
  • Micah and Jayron, and others who play multiple roles, we really push them to see what they can handle. I thought Micah's skill has elevated in the offseason. He was born with the talent and he has worked his %#*$# off to get better. He is really throwing a great training camp. You can't put that type of work in TC unless you did it outside of camp.
  • Clark took offseason very important. Asked me to push him. I thought his trajectory would continue because I saw his speed last year, but some hesitation from inexperience. Without that hesitation, all the speed and ability is coming to light and I'm excited to see his development.
  • Daron Bland is a great example last year of a player who improves every month - which is our goal. We kept giving him more each month. This offseason, we had him practice in two spots. He is an absolute competitor to his core and very cool under pressure. I was impressed with his coolness and being prepared when asked him to start last year.
  • Those of you who know Jourdan, he is a warrior. He attacked his rehab, this was a very serious injury. We went to his house and made sure he stayed connected. He in every early morning in the weight room. It will be cool seeing him return.
  • We have most of the LBs and Safeties listen to a game call even if they aren't doing it. I want them to hear the process and know how this guy is the messenger.
  • I think Kelvin Joseph is doing very well and we're excited. He is really strong getting his hands on people. It's been a good addition for him playing inside, same as Bland, versatile. We'll be more ready for the adversity.
Offensive Coordinator Brian Schottenheimer (Video here.)
  • Been awesome watching Dak and hsi progression with the new offense. You see his comfort level is now much better. Most QBs understand what they're doing, it's can they communicate it to the other guys?
  • Tony Pollard can be a really good short yardage guy. He will be very efficient in that role without Zeke. Remember that in those situations, there is often a lot of space behind it, and his skills will make the best of it.
  • Zack is wired the right way. It was awesome seeing him return.
  • One of best things out of the preseason game was watching young guys compete. The offensive line is a great group, talented group. Watching Asim Richards play offensive tackle and then move to guard... that is not easy. Watching Wally, TJ Bass, Farniok... it's a great talented group. We move them around a lot. There were really good things we did from an offensive line standpoint.
  • Even when we had big backs, no one can do it by themself. Tony is ready to be running back number one though and there is nothing we will shy away from. I have zero concerns about his body type. I love his explosive playmaker ability. There's a quiet confidence about him you feel. But you really feel his speed. It's real.
  • We want to play with space and wide. Position flex is important for us. That's why you saw Turpin and Deuce on field at same time. Also, part of it is how much they can handle from a mental standpoint. How much is too much? We do that so we know which packages will fit in the opener.
  • Jalen Brooks felt like he was sped up. But what I love is he made adjustments, got it corrected. Didn't sulk, didn't hang back. He went right back to work and hasn't lost a beat in practice. Got the respect of the offense.
  • We're still in installation phase for Giants game. On track and look forward to it.
Special Teams Coach John Fassel (Video here.)
  • In Tampa game, we never received any indication that Bryan couldn't mark the ball. Every team does that. We were blown away. We did it next week and no one said anything. No new rules, he's still doing it.
  • We told Turpin after the fumble, any time he runs through 2 tacklers, he needs 2 hands. He is used to one hand. He gets big eyes because he sees the space.
  • We don't grade players. We have a different evaluation. But Overshown was VERY GOOD. There is definitely a role for him on ST.
  • Turpin is the incumbent. As Deuce gets work, he'll be there too. It's good to have at least 2 guys who can do it. I think we have more. Turpin is a much better punt catcher even though he was very good at it before. Deuce hasn't played returner much, he's still learning, but has good vision, and will get good. But I believe Turpin will be much better this year.
  • I study XFL kickoff returns. I'm a big fan of the XFL kickoff rule. There's a return 90% of the time, it puts the ball in play. I don't have the doctor information, but the answer is 99% of the time, players are getting back up, fewer penalties, lower collisions. Impact is not the same. We even practice our kickoffs like XFL to take the collision part out of it and give return man more practice. The match-up discrepancies don't stand out as much, like LB vs WR.

817Gill

Reaction score
I know not everyone has time to watch these, so here are some quick recaps. Here are the Coordinator Official Press Conference Recaps for TC and PreSeason Game 1. Even more excited about our defense after watching DQ. He is not a fluff guy, and you can see how pumped up he is about all the young guys on his D and their continued improvement. Fassell has some interesting comments on adapting the XFL rule in his video, talked about it a lot, I just summarized.

• As far as the fights, you have to find an edge. When you find it, sometimes you have to go off the cliff and catch yourself. Not just fighting, because they have to take care of one another, but they must push each other. Players would agree that they need that intense competition. It is who we are, we compete hard, but we don't go over the edge.
  • With Mazi, the game is different with pads. It is with all the front seven, pushing to see what they can do now. Proud of Damone Clark too. Didn't have TC last year. I felt his and Mazi's energy on the field and texted them that. I think if we keep pushing the Defense, we will improve every month until December. I see too much hesitation without the pads, but now that they have freedom to run and hit, I'm lit up.
  • (Some reporter asked him about Micah playing 0-Tech??? :oops: Not familiar with it.)
  • Haven't seen much of LVE off the edge, when I do see it, there is improvement. LVE came in lighter and another one you can tell really applied himself in the offseason, so we see more quickness and speed. He has emerged himself in all parts of the front 7. We rely on him for a lot. His versatility has been fun to see.
  • Micah and Jayron, and others who play multiple roles, we really push them to see what they can handle. I thought Micah's skill has elevated in the offseason. He was born with the talent and he has worked his %#*$# off to get better. He is really throwing a great training camp. You can't put that type of work in TC unless you did it outside of camp.
  • Clark took offseason very important. Asked me to push him. I thought his trajectory would continue because I saw his speed last year, but some hesitation from inexperience. Without that hesitation, all the speed and ability is coming to light and I'm excited to see his development.
  • Daron Bland is a great example last year of a player who improves every month - which is our goal. We kept giving him more each month. This offseason, we had him practice in two spots. He is an absolute competitor to his core and very cool under pressure. I was impressed with his coolness and being prepared when asked him to start last year.
  • Those of you who know Jourdan, he is a warrior. He attacked his rehab, this was a very serious injury. We went to his house and made sure he stayed connected. He in every early morning in the weight room. It will be cool seeing him return.
  • We have most of the LBs and Safeties listen to a game call even if they aren't doing it. I want them to hear the process and know how this guy is the messenger.
  • I think Kelvin Joseph is doing very well and we're excited. He is really strong getting his hands on people. It's been a good addition for him playing inside, same as Bland, versatile. We'll be more ready for the adversity.
  • Been awesome watching Dak and hsi progression with the new offense. You see his comfort level is now much better. Most QBs understand what they're doing, it's can they communicate it to the other guys?
  • Tony Pollard can be a really good short yardage guy. He will be very efficient in that role without Zeke. Remember that in those situations, there is often a lot of space behind it, and his skills will make the best of it.
  • One of best things out of the preseason game was watching young guys compete. The offensive line is a great group, talented group. Watching Asim Richards play offensive tackle and then move to guard... that is not easy. Watching Wally, TJ Bass, Farniok... it's a great talented group. We move them around a lot. There were really good things we did from an offensive line standpoint.
  • Even when we had big backs, no one can do it by themself. Tony is ready to be running back number one though and there is nothing we will shy away from. I have zero concerns about his body type. I love his explosive playmaker ability. There's a quiet confidence about him you feel. But you really feel his speed. It's real.
  • We want to play with space and wide. Position flex is important for us. That's why you saw Turpin and Deuce on field at same time. Also, part of it is how much they can handle from a mental standpoint. How much is too much? We do that so we know which packages will fit in the opener.
  • Jalen Brooks felt like he was sped up. But what I love is he made adjustments, got it corrected. Didn't sulk, didn't hang back. He went right back to work and hasn't lost a beat in practice. Got the respect of the offense.
  • We're still in installation phase for Giants game. On track and look forward to it.
  • In Tampa game, we never received any indication that Bryan couldn't mark the ball. Every team does that. We were blown away. We did it next week and no one said anything. No new rules, he's still doing it.
  • We told Turpin after the fumble, any time he runs through 2 tacklers, he needs 2 hands. He is used to one hand. He gets big eyes because he sees the space.
  • We don't grade players. We have a different evaluation. But Overshown was VERY GOOD. There is definitely a role for him on ST.
  • Turpin is the incumbent. As Deuce gets work, he'll be there too. It's good to have at least 2 guys who can do it. I think we have more. Turpin is a much better punt catcher even though he was very good at it before. Deuce hasn't played returner much, he's still learning, but has good vision, and will get good. But I believe Turpin will be much better this year.
  • I study XFL kickoff returns. I'm a big fan of the XFL kickoff rule. There's a return 90% of the time, it puts the ball in play. I don't have the doctor information, but the answer is 99% of the time, players are getting back up, fewer penalties, lower collisions. Impact is not the same. We even practice our kickoffs like XFL to take the collision part out of it and give return man more practice. The match-up discrepancies don't stand out as much, like LB vs WR.
Good insight from the coaches. Looks like Turp’s safe as long as he doesn’t develop full-blown fumbleitis.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Appreciate you summarizing the coordinators pressor. Good stuff here and a very distinct sense of excitement and urgency

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
I firmly believe that next year we will see the xfl rule change. There is going to be alot crap thrown at the new kickoff rules, it's gonna look bad, it's going to be complained about, and the owners will have no choice but to change it.

Carson

Reaction score
The 0 tech lines up directly over the center. That would be incredibly stupid to put 11 there

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
The 0 tech lines up directly over the center. That would be incredibly stupid to put 11 there
Yeah, the guy was asking about some new formation for #11. I think he was the same one asking about LVE off the edge too. At first I thought DQ was quickly dismissing him because he didn’t want to talk about new packages, but I think it might have been DQ’s polite way of saying stupid question and moving on. LOL

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Good insight from the coaches. Looks like Turp’s safe as long as he doesn’t develop full-blown fumbleitis.
Yeah, probably be a lot less conspiracies and threads if peeps listened to every Coach press conference. They answer a lot of the stuff we debate about. If I get chance will post Big Mac‘s weekly roundup.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

appreciate this

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Dont know where this manifestation started, but MP can basically line up where MP wants to.
I would give him free roam and total control, he has the instincts of a Lion.
Let the heard follow him.

Carson

Reaction score
Dont know where this manifestation started, but MP can basically line up where MP wants to.
I would give him free roam and total control, he has the instincts of a Lion.
Let the heard follow him.
Oh no doubt he could do it. He could play any position on the field.

But is that honestly the best fit for him?