FINALLY! Garrett calls the plays to get Julius going!!

dthahn

The Doctor Is IN!
Reaction score
Julius Jones reminded everyone tonight why he is the starter. When Garrett calls plays that best suit JJ's strengths then JJ runs well.

Those draw plays and toss sweeps let Jones do what he does best and that is shake and bake, BABY!!! Keep it up Garrett!

Statistically, JJ had a better game running the ball than Barber although Barber was more effective receiving the ball.

Now, I know that Barber is the harder running back who gets the tougher yards but JJ is the more explosive of the two. Running to JJ's strengths will allow him to make those big plays we've seen him make in the past seasons.:)

DallasDomination

Reaction score
Julius Jones came to play today...I was more impessed with Him then barber..I know Barbercomes to play every game, But JJ came with that rookie year Juice..I feel a comeback:D

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
No question. We need to use each back in the scenarios that fit their strengths. I think we did a bit of that tonight and with good results.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think JJ got a wiff of Romo's contract.

JPostSam

Reaction score
i loved that pitch out to the side!!!

the other thing that helped julius, though, was that he RAN HARDER. maybe he is seeing how that works for barber, and is heeding the criticism.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
bACK when JJ had those great games.....it was draws and sweeps!

Did someone watch old film of JJ?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dthahn;1745973 said:
Julius Jones reminded everyone tonight why he is the starter. When Garrett calls plays that best suit JJ's strengths then JJ runs well.

Those draw plays and toss sweeps let Jones do what he does best and that is shake and bake, BABY!!! Keep it up Garrett!

Statistically, JJ had a better game running the ball than Barber although Barber was more effective receiving the ball.

Now, I know that Barber is the harder running back who gets the tougher yards but JJ is the more explosive of the two. Running to JJ's strengths will allow him to make those big plays we've seen him make in the past seasons.:)

I was very happy with the play of both guys. I'm not going to get into who the best is between the 2 I'm just happy about the production that both men had in the game

BehindEnemyLinez

Optimist Prime
Reaction score
Maybe the bye gave them some time to reflect on JJ's strengths and Red Ball finally utilized him correctly. If we could get that type of production out of BOTH backs consistently then maybe we won't have to break the draft "bank" to try and get McFadden (he was a BEAST this weekend) and concentrate on true areas of need!

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
dthahn;1745973 said:

JJ played his best game of the season last night, Barber has been doing it all year. For you to say last night reminds everyone why he's the starter and that JJ is more explosive is silly. JJ didn't play like a 3rd string RB, finally, but Barber is just as explosive if not more so.

We destroyed a division rival, so this really isn't about arguing. But to use one game to start this whole agenda back up where Barber deserves to be 2nd cause JJ is our "explosive" guy is a little ridiculous. Barber has been blowing up defenders all season, you tell them he's not explosive.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I think the key to getting Jones going was they started pounding Barber earlier than normal and the fact that they started mixing Barber and Jones up on each drive rather than each one having their own drive.

It was a much better showing for both of them. I like the change.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
dthahn;1745973 said:
When Garrett calls plays that best suit JJ's strengths then JJ runs well.

I don't know about the shake and bake part, but I agree Garrett is obviously making a conscious effort to take advantage of JJ's speed now. Anything that gets him running in a straight line to the edges, (as opposed to having to bounce it outside), or a quick hitter like those two draws are the plays where he has the most success.

Late in the 2nd qtr, when he had Kozier pulling and JJ followed him and Witten for a 14-yard gain was when Madden said our OL was dominating the Eagles. When was the last time you could say that about our OL in the first half of a game?

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I'm surprised to see JJ get so much praise. Any RB should have had a great night with the way the OL was dominating, but JJ left a TON of yards on the field last night. He gets tackled by the first defender so easily it's ridiculous. They had a beautifully set up screen for him that should have gone for 20+, and he only got 5 yards because he let a guy ankle tackle him. It was criminal.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1746308 said:
I'm surprised to see JJ get so much praise. Any RB should have had a great night with the way the OL was dominating, but JJ left a TON of yards on the field last night. He gets tackled by the first defender so easily it's ridiculous. They had a beautifully set up screen for him that should have gone for 20+, and he only got 5 yards because he let a guy ankle tackle him. It was criminal.
This was my reaction. There were a couple plays where the blocking was absolutely perfect and he should have gone for 20+ yards, possibly a TD, yet he somehow managed to get tackled after a 6-7 yard gain.

That said, the playcalling did suit his strengths much better last night.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Julius seems like the kind of player that can only perform when he has his 'mojo', when he is pouting he just looks pedestrian. Not a very mentally or physically tough ball carrier - however he is spectacular on draws and plays outside the tackles in obvious passing situations.

Still, his job is in jeopardy regardless. However providing a big spark in the 2nd half of the seeason with some big plays against divisional rivalries can put all this McFadden talk to rest and we can use those picks elsewhere.

silverblue

Reaction score
Did I see Marion Barber get stuffed on like three runs near the goal line or was I just imagining that. It had to of just been Julius in a number 24 jersey or something, because Barber can do no wrong :)