Finally watched the game... good new, bad news?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I'm not 100% positive on this, but I think I may know why the Minny first DL was getting such a good push. It seemed to me that they were jumping the snap. They must have seen something either by Gurode or Bledsoe that tipped them off.

Again, I may be wrong though, but it sure seemed like it.

If I'm right...

Good news: Any OL will have problems with a DL that is getting a jump off the snap. Especially a good DL.

Bad news: Obviously it's the fact that either our center or QB is giving an unintentional signal to the defense and it's enabling them to get a jump. Hopefully it was recognized (if I'm right about it) and will be worked on in practice this week.

Also, I think one of the reasons we couldn't run the ball is cuz Minny was keeping 700 men in the box. Seriously, Childress, it's a freakin' preseason game. See what your players can do straight up. In a real game I'd imagine we'd do some play action and throw deep on them. Probably even a flee flicker.

I feel better after watching the game. Hell, even that 40 yard catch by Williamson didn't look like a catch to me. His right foot landed in, but when this left foot swung around it appeared to land on the line. And the Newman TD, I wouldn't say he "gave up" the TD. It appeared, from the position he was in, that he expected help inside. Either Roy or Pat screwed up (I think).

Now, about that idiot kicker... :banghead:

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Thanks for the report Rack as I still have not been able to see the game...

I sure hope you are right on giving away the snap count but more so that the coaches caught it and corrected it

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
Rack said:
I'm not 100% positive on this, but I think I may know why the Minny first DL was getting such a good push. It seemed to me that they were jumping the snap. They must have seen something either by Gurode or Bledsoe that tipped them off.

Again, I may be wrong though, but it sure seemed like it.

If I'm right...

Good news: Any OL will have problems with a DL that is getting a jump off the snap. Especially a good DL.

Bad news: Obviously it's the fact that either our center or QB is giving an unintentional signal to the defense and it's enabling them to get a jump. Hopefully it was recognized (if I'm right about it) and will be worked on in practice this week.

I believe something similar was happening with Al Johnson last year. If thats the case, I hope it is corrected. It sure did seam though that their D-line was always one step quicker than our O-line.

slick rick

Reaction score
That happened for at least half of last year and I don't know why they can't see it on film.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
TheEnigma said:
I believe something similar was happening with Al Johnson last year. If thats the case, I hope it is corrected. It sure did seam though that their D-line was always one step quicker than our O-line.
If both Johnson and Gurode have both been giving the snap count that really says a lot about our OL Coach doesn't it? :mad:

Grevus

Reaction score
Rack said:
I feel better after watching the game. Hell, even that 40 yard catch by Williamson didn't look like a catch to me. His right foot landed in, but when this left foot swung around it appeared to land on the line. And the Newman TD, I wouldn't say he "gave up" the TD. It appeared, from the position he was in, that he expected help inside. Either Roy or Pat screwed up (I think).

Now, about that idiot kicker... :banghead:

I feel the same way. It looked as if Minny stacked line throughout the 1st and 2nd Quarters, but Minny set the game plan for the rest of the league. Blitz the boys' line and give no time for Bledsoe to make any throws. I don't understand while watching the game why we didn't try to kill them with the quick slant. We seemed to through the ball to a stand receiver at will over the middle.

DipChit

Reaction score
Yup, on the snap count thing theres no doubt it was happening again.. saw enough of that last year.

Also agree on the Williamson catch. Disnt bother to rewind it because it is pre-season but from just their run of the mill re-play that was my feeling as well.

As to the O-line as a whole, again yeah, it's hard to feel real good about it. Regardless of the "good" job they did in earlier games, or the poorer one they had the other day.

Lets face it, we all know what constitutes a top quality o-line.. solid players that have been playing together as a unit for awhile. Best we can hope for is that it's adequate early on, and gets better as they go. It's obviously far from a proven commodity.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
JackMagist said:
If both Johnson and Gurode have both been giving the snap count that really says a lot about our OL Coach doesn't it? :mad:

That is unreal if true. But I really didn't notice that too much. What I did notice was Gurode and Rivera getting their butts kicked.

If there's even a chance it's true even some of the time I wish someone would tell Saprano. I assume nothing with our coaches on this. Last year it took the Detroit game for them to figure out something was up. If you could figure it out you could actually use it to advantage. That and use the hard count which Bledsoe does well.

jay cee

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
That is unreal if true. But I really didn't notice that too much. What I did notice was Gurode and Rivera getting their butts kicked.

If there's even a chance it's true even some of the time I wish someone would tell Saprano. I assume nothing with our coaches on this. Last year it took the Detroit game for them to figure out something was up. If you could figure it out you could actually use it to advantage. That and use the hard count which Bledsoe does well.
The hard count sounds like a great idea, but I could see the Cowboys o-line jumping as much as the opponents.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Other observations:

I agree with rack that Minny was playing stupid for a preseason game. I honestly wish TO was 100% for the game and we had gone up top a few times early. I don't think teams that try to stack the run against us will be able to do so without paying the price. If you watched Pat McQuistan he did ok, not great but he's already after one preseason better than Torrin Tucker (not saying much I know).

I kinda wish we had given Pat some reps at guard though. That's where he played almost all his college ball. Not saying he won't be a good tackle but if he was comfortable at guard I think I'd dress him ahead of Procter. He brings a nasty attitude I think an OL needs.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
jay cee said:
The hard count sounds like a great idea, but I could see the Cowboys o-line jumping as much as the opponents.

On the road especially that is a risk but you've got to slow the D down somehow.

TheEnigma

Anomaly
Reaction score
JackMagist said:

I agree. I was calling out Sparano last year. He might have the potential to become a good offensive coordinator, but as an OL coach he is lacking IMO. IIRC he was the TE coach before taking over the OL. I wish we had brought in a real OL coach instead. My feelings are that Parcells put him at OL because he wanted to stash him on his coaching staff and that was a place he could put him.

IMO some of our problems with our recent OL busts is in part due to coaching.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TheEnigma said:
I agree. I was calling out Sparano last year. He might have the potential to become a good offensive coordinator, but as an OL coach he is lacking IMO. IIRC he was the TE coach before taking over the OL. I wish we had brought in a real OL coach instead. My feelings are that Parcells put him at OL because he wanted to stash him on his coaching staff and that was a place he could put him.

IMO some of our problems with our recent OL busts is in part due to coaching.
Reverse Peter Principle? When you suck at your current job you're promoted?

jay cee

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
On the road especially that is a risk but you've got to slow the D down somehow.
Ain't that the truth. I'm tired of watching those guys get into the backfield before the handoff exchange is completed.

The runningback is trying to take the ball and dodge the defender at the same time.