Finding Pro Bowl players in the draft

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
Finding Pro Bowl players in the draft http://myespn.go.com/profile/violation?ou=hashmarksadmin&at=7&vid=1198029834711
December 18, 2007 9:03 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando
Drafting at the top of the first round doesn't necessarily increase a team's chances of finding productive players.
Eight of the 80 players drafted in the top 10 overall picks since 2000 earned Pro Bowl recognition today. They were: Adrian Peterson, Braylon Edwards, Larry Fitzgerald, Terence Newman, Sean Taylor, Leonard Davis, LaDainian Tomlinson and Chris Samuels. This includes zero top-10 picks from the 2002 and 2006 drafts. Heading into Week 15, there were 20 starters in the league drafted eighth overall or 13th overall, but only 10 starters drafted first or second.
Peyton Manning was the only No. 1 overall choice on the 2008 Pro Bowl team. Nine subsequent No. 1 overall choices did not earn Pro Bowl honors. They are: JaMarcus Russell, Mario Williams, Alex Smith, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, David Carr, Michael Vick, Courtney Brown and Tim Couch.
The Cowboys' Davis, drafted second overall by Arizona in 2001, was the only No. 2 overall choice to earn Pro Bowl honors this year. Other No. 2 overall picks over the last 10 drafts: Calvin Johnson, Reggie Bush, Ronnie Brown, Robert Gallery, Charles Rogers, Julius Peppers, LaVar Arrington and Ryan Leaf.
Drafting third has worked out more favorably in recent years. Three of the last eight No. 3 overall choices earned Pro Bowl honors this season. They are: Edwards, Fitzgerald and Samuels. Joe Thomas, the third pick in 2007, was arguably worthy of selection. Houston's Andre Johnson, chosen third overall in 2003, would have been a likely Pro Bowl choice had he been healthy.
Other No. 3 overall picks from the last 10 drafts: Vince Young, Joey Harrington, Gerard Warren, Akili Smith and Andre Wadsworth.
That's it from me tonight. Matt Mosley is presumably back tomorrow.

Pro Bowl

Pabst

Reaction score
This is the one thing that makes me relatively happy to see; most of our Pro-Bowl bound players are home grown.

Outside of Leonard Davis, Ken Hamlin and TO, the rest are products of the draft, or, as in Romo's case, undrafted free agents. That's a pretty darn good ratio of players.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Pabst;1843719 said:
This is the one thing that makes me relatively happy to see; most of our Pro-Bowl bound players are home grown.

Outside of Leonard Davis, Ken Hamlin and TO, the rest are products of the draft, or, as in Romo's case, undrafted free agents. That's a pretty darn good ratio of players.

Flozell Adams (2nd rounder)
Andre Gurode (2nd rounder)
Tony Romo (UFA)
Jason Witten (3rd rounder)
Marion Barber (4th rounder)
Nick Folk (6th rounder)
Demarcus Ware (1st rounder)
Terence Newman (1st rounder)
Roy Williams (1st rounder)

And of course, Leonard Davis, Ken Hamlin, Terrell Owens via Free Agency.

I think what stands out the most is that on defense, our Pro Bowlers come via 1st round selections while on offense, they come after the 1st round. Of course, we've been drafting 1st round defensive players for quite some time, so naturally, any offensive player won't be a 1st rounder....

Another thing is, outside of Adams and Owens, they are all pretty young (Folk, Hamlin, Williams, Ware, Barber, Witten) or locked up long term (Davis, Gurode, Williams, Romo, Witten, Folk).

That leaves Flozell, Terrell, Terence, Demarcus, and Marion as either needing extensions/let go. And there is no way Demarcus and Terence will leave (at least, I'd bet on them staying). And Marion seems a pretty safe bet on staying in Dallas too (as in Jerry will pay to keep him).

Really, the only questions are with Flozell and Terrelll for the long term plans....

Thats a good thing too.