Finished Deadwood, have a few questions

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
I finished Deadwood earlier today so I could let a family member at Thanksgiving Dinner borrow it and I have some questions for those who finished it.

1) Did Alma Garrett have an abortion while she was sick?

2) Did George Hearst kill Aunt Lou's son Odell and why did he?

3) On the Internet, some have speculated that Odell was Aunt Lou and Hearst's son, is there any truth to that? I don't think so because when Hearst first saw him, Aunt Lou had to tell him who he was.

4) At the end of Season 3, you see Alma Garrett and Sophia riding in a wagon, did she change her mind and decide to leave Deadwood?

5) Why did Cy Toliver kill Leon at the end?

All and all, great series and it really sucks that there wasn't another season.

I'm willing to bet that Teddy Roosevelt would have been in Season 4 because I read on Wikipedia that he and Seth Bullock became very good friends before Roosevelt was President.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!!

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would have to watch all of those again as I don't remember. However I was thinking the answer to #1 was yes with the help of the prostitute...but again I would have to watch them all again.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3105237 said:
I would have to watch all of those again as I don't remember. However I was thinking the answer to #1 was yes with the help of the prostitute...but again I would have to watch them all again.

Yeah, my habit of only watching a series that is completed or has at least 3 Seasons tends to bite me when trying to get questions answered.

Man it sucks that there was not a 4th Season :( .

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3103716 said:
I finished Deadwood earlier today so I could let a family member at Thanksgiving Dinner borrow it and I have some questions for those who finished it.

3) On the Internet, some have speculated that Odell was Aunt Lou and Hearst's son, is there any truth to that? I don't think so because when Hearst first saw him, Aunt Lou had to tell him who he was.

4) At the end of Season 3, you see Alma Garrett and Sophia riding in a wagon, did she change her mind and decide to leave Deadwood?

I'm willing to bet that Teddy Roosevelt would have been in Season 4 because I read on Wikipedia that he and Seth Bullock became very good friends before Roosevelt was President.

1) Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what happened. If I remember correctly, it started to come into doubt if she was going to be able to deliver successfully anyway.

2) It's not explicitly clear, but certainly implied. It's also strongly implied that Odell was trying to run some kind of con on Hearst, which would be the motivation.

For #3 are you asking if that's the case in real life, or just on the show? On the show, I don't think anything was implied to suggest this. In real life, I don't think there's any evidence of that at all (as far as I'm aware).

While the whole show was historical fiction, they really took some liberties with George Heart's character. Given how significant of a historical figure he was, I'm a little surprised they felt comfortable taking him in such a dark direction. I'm sure, given how successful he was, that he probably was a little ruthless, but I don't think there's any evidence to prove that he was anywhere near as ruthless as he was portrayed on this show.

4) I don't recall this... I'd have to watch again to see if this is clear or not.

5) I think it was out of frustration for other things mostly unrelated to Leon... but Leon was so pathetic and barely human anyway, so he was an easy target for getting frustration taken out on. It's also a nice circle in a way because Leon should have been killed long ago with relation to the Wu incident and stealing the dope. He was living on borrowed time.

Great show. If you haven't already, you should read some of the history of the real people portrayed in the show. Interesting to see what was fact, what was fiction and what was partially-based exaggeration.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Danny White, thanks for answering those questions.

For #3, I just meant on the show as I read on another board that could be the case.

As far as history, every time I watched an episode I had the Iphone handy to look up each character on the Internet.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
Maikeru-sama;3103716 said:

I just re-watched the final episode. To answer your question #4, Alma and Sophia are riding in the wagon to go see Ellsworth's body. If you recall, Sophia was obsessed with seeing Ellsworth before he was buried, and that's where they were heading when they passed Hearst in the street.

She sold the mine so she could stay in the camp and the intent was for them to stay.

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Danny White;3277727 said:
I just re-watched the final episode. To answer your question #4, Alma and Sophia are riding in the wagon to go see Ellsworth's body. If you recall, Sophia was obsessed with seeing Ellsworth before he was buried, and that's where they were heading when they passed Hearst in the street.

She sold the mine so she could stay in the camp and the intent was for them to stay.

Thanks Danny.