Fire retardant blanket or fire extinguisher?

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I've seen Youtube ads for these fire-smothering blankets. They show someone in their kitchen accidentally starting a fire on their stove and starting to panic. Then a family member just throws that blanket over the fire and it gets easily smothered without the blanket catching on fire. They make that thing with a bunch of fire retardant stuff in it.
I'm an amateur chef. I cook a lot. I'm extremely care to not start a fire. However, I have been planning to get a fire extinguisher to mount on the wall in my kitchen. It's a just in case. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. The property management already provides a smoke alarm. However, would one of those fire-smothering blankets serve me better? Has anyone here gotten one?

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've got both. I think the fire blanket works best for small fires on the stove. It's much easier to throw the blanket over the fire and there is a lot less cleanup (none) than the fire extinguisher.

I experimented on fires, but it was in a non-panic and controlled environment and the blanket worked well. I think the blanket is a good idea.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
I've got both. I think the fire blanket works best for small fires on the stove. It's much easier to throw the blanket over the fire and there is a lot less cleanup (none) than the fire extinguisher.

I experimented on fires, but it was in a non-panic and controlled environment and the blanket worked well. I think the blanket is a good idea.
Thanks. They're probably both affordable enough that I could get both.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
and there is a lot less cleanup (none)
This.

Having been through a few fires, home and business, the fire retardent system is where it feels like most of the actual damage occurs. Sprinklers, extinguishers, etc…

God bless our firemen, but make sure it truly is an emergency before you give them the okay to spray away because then the damage triples.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Just wet a kitchen towel and lay it over the fire, that’s a professional kitchen tip :thumbup:

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Make sure the fire extinguisher is suitable for grease fires. I have never seen a fire extinguisher mounted on a kitchen wall, maybe you have a closet nearby?
It's a small apartment with a dividing wall between the kitchen and the living room. I could mount that extinguisher on the side of that dividing wall. It would be within easy reach for a kitchen fire. I'll make sure to check if it handles grease fires before buying it.