First Day reflections...

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
What a roller coaster ride it was, with Trader Jerry wheeling and dealing...

And when the smoke cleared, the Boys came away with what they hope will be their Shaun Phillips to DeMarcus Ware's Shawne Merriman, tweener Anthony Spencer out of Purdue... then they drafted a drive blocking right tackle prospect from Boston College, James Marten...

Boston College?? I thought Parcells was gone... LOL...

In evaluating (or "grading") the Cowboys' first day, the most important thing to keep in mind is that Jerry came out of it with Cleveland's first round pick next year... so in 2007, my two favorite teams are the Dallas Cowboys and whoever's playing the Cleveland Browns... this could well end up being a top 10 pick before it 's all said and done...

Spencer was a solid addition, I think... he has solid pass rush skills, and might be the best against the run of all the tweeners... with him in the mix, I expect at least 30 sacks from the linebackers next year, maybe 35... I also expect 50 sacks or more from the defense as a whole...

However, it is my belief that the Boys could have remained where they were in the early second round after trading with Cleveland, and still drafted Anthony... I don't believe it was necessary to trade up for him, sacrifice that 3rd and 5th round pick... worst case scenario, some other team did shift gears and draft Spencer, then Justin Blalock was still on the board, another player the Boys were reportedly quite high on... there were other pass rushers who could have been had when the Boys drafted Marten...

I'm of mixed emotions when it comes to the Marten pick... I like his size, and he has the frame to get bigger, but from what I've read, he's a right tackle, and really unlikely to be able to play any other position... he probably isn't mobile enough to play left tackle, or mobile enough to do the pulling and trapping that comes with playing guard... indeed, when reading his scouting report, it puts you in mind of what they said about Erik Williams coming out of college...

Indulging in a little reading of the tea leaves, the drafting of a drive blocking mauler this early, coupled with the signing of massive mauler Leonard Davis to a megacontract this offseason, does suggest that the Boys are planning on moving to a more physical offensive line... this is what I'd hoped for...

So, when you look at the players we got, and the pick we got next year, and factor in the few reservations I've expressed re trading up for Spencer and Marten's limitations, I'd give the Boys a solid B-plus for their first day... the first rounder next year kept me from giving them a C...

sackattack

Reaction score
There is no way that Spencer is there at 36. As soon as we took him New England traded out of the first round. Also Baltimore may have taken him. Spencer was the last of the pressure players.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
sackattack;1476657 said:
There is no way that Spencer is there at 36. As soon as we took him New England traded out of the first round. Also Baltimore may have taken him. Spencer was the last of the pressure players.

Pittsburgh definitely would have taken him, they took Lamar Woodley in the 2nd, and Spencer grades higher than him

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Bear, other than the coaches reports on Spencer that may be the best thing I read all day.

silverbear

Reaction score
sackattack;1476657 said:

Perhaps you're right, but even if that's true, there was a solid plan B in place-- Justin Blalock... then look at the remaining pass rushers instead of Marten...

silverbear

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1476662 said:
Pittsburgh definitely would have taken him, they took Lamar Woodley in the 2nd, and Spencer grades higher than him

But that second round pick would have been after the Boys picked, if they had stayed in Cleveland's slot...

Pappa Cheeto

Reaction score
silverbear;1476762 said:
Perhaps you're right, but even if that's true, there was a solid plan B in place-- Justin Blalock... then look at the remaining pass rushers instead of Marten...

There were no top tier pass rushers after Spencer. Plus, we can address guard later in the draft.

DCfaninDC

Reaction score
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/421377

go the section where it says Compares to

"
Shaun Phillips, San Diego -- Both players were developed in the Joe Tiller system at Purdue to attack the quarterback with quickness … Both lack the ideal size you look for in a defensive end, but Phillips proved that he was capable of competing in a stand-up position … Spencer was a better prospect than Phillips coming out of college … If used in a similar system, Spencer will have just as much success in the pro ranks that Phillips has shown."

And guess who we got as the HC, he was meant to be a Cowboy.

Reaction score
DCfaninDC;1476830 said:
http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/players/draft/421377

go the section where it says Compares to

"
Shaun Phillips, San Diego -- Both players were developed in the Joe Tiller system at Purdue to attack the quarterback with quickness … Both lack the ideal size you look for in a defensive end, but Phillips proved that he was capable of competing in a stand-up position … Spencer was a better prospect than Phillips coming out of college … If used in a similar system, Spencer will have just as much success in the pro ranks that Phillips has shown."

And guess who we got as the HC, he was meant to be a Cowboy.

That would be non other than Wade aka "Bum's Boy" Phillips... :laugh2:

Death Star

Reaction score
It was mentioned earlier that if Philly didn't find a taker for their 26th pick they would've taken Spencer themselves, so he definitely wouldn't have been available after that.

Ben_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
sackattack;1476657 said:

As much as I tend to agree with a lot of what SilverBear has written in many instances, I'll disagree here as well.

This is the guy that Wade wanted. If Ellis doesn't return, we'd be in a situation where we couldn't afford any injuries. And I think that the drafting of Spencer could be a good indication that Ellis' return may be, at the very least, questionable at this point....

BigWillie

Reaction score
Gotta disagree, bear.

According to Jerry, Spencer is the guy he wanted, and the guy who Wade wanted as well. They went as far as turning Spencer's card in before the Cleveland offer came and they accepted that instead.

From what I understand, Dallas felt the dropoff of pass rushers who are suited for the 3-4 was severe after Spencer. If they felt like this, and Spencer was the guy they wanted anyways, we absolutely made the correct move by trading back up.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
silverbear;1476650 said:
What a roller coaster ride it was, with Trader Jerry wheeling and dealing...

First off well done my friend... I hope you enjoyed your first day of Christmas in April...

Secondly I think you may be right that Dallas got a little nervous that their guy wouldn't be there...Jerry said they had Spencers name on the card for the #22 pick... if they were gonna draft him at #22...well than I don't think the move was too high for the guy they really wanted. Now whether that guy turns out to be who they thought they drafted remains to be seen.