FLORIDA SPORTS BUZZ.Ranking the state's top NFL draft prospects

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
FLORIDA SPORTS BUZZ
Ranking the state's top NFL draft prospects

Florida State defensive end Everette Brown sets for play against the Duke Blue Devils at Doak Campbell Stadium on October 27, 2007 in Tallahassee. AL MESSERSCHMIDT / GETTY IMAGES
Photo By BARRY JACKSON
bjackson@MiamiHerald.com
Though UM's streak of 14 consecutive NFL Drafts with at least one first-round pick will end, at least a half-dozen in-state players likely will be selected April 25-26. Sporting News draft analyst Russ Lande, an ex-Browns scout, ranked for us the top 10 in-state prospects and projected round:

• 1. FSU linebacker/end Everette Brown (top 15 picks). The Dolphins, picking 25th, have spent time with Brown (13.5 sacks in 2008), but he's expected to go sooner. ''He will get in trouble against the run but can be a special pass-rusher,'' Lande said. 'One scout told me, `I like the kid but I loved [ex-FSU first-round linebacker] Kamerion Wimbley and the Browns are disappointed in him. Wimbley looked like more of a sure thing than Brown, so how do I go to bat saying he's a top 10 pick? It makes me nervous.' ''

• 2. UF receiver Percy Harvin (top 15-30 picks). Impressed scouts with route running at UF's Pro Day and said he's willing to return punts and kickoffs. But now he must deal with an nfldraft bible.com report that he tested positive for marijuana. Harvin disputes durability concerns, noting most injuries happened when he played running back. ''His quickness, explosion, acceleration are unbelievable,'' NFL Network's Mike Mayock said. ``You can line him up wide, in the slot, at running back, in the Wildcat. He can break games open.''

• 3. UF tight end Cornelius Ingram (Rounds 2-3). Missed 2008 season (knee) but ''can stretch the field naturally,'' Mayock said. But Lande cautioned: ``Teams have concerns how he will hold up physically. And he's not a good blocker.''

• 4-5. USF linebacker Tyrone McKenzie and UF receiver Louis Murphy (Rounds 3-4). ''A lot of people like McKenzie as a Derrick Brooks, chase-the-ball type guy,'' Lande said. A long strider, Murphy has good size (6-2) ''but production was so inconsistent,'' Lande said.

• 6-7. UF right tackle Jason Watkins and UM cornerback Bruce Johnson (Round 5). ''A lot of teams are leery of Watkins,'' Lande said, citing weaknesses exposed on tape. ``Johnson's quick with good instincts, but he's so thin at 170. If you put him over a physical receiver, he's going to get killed.''

• 8-10. FAU linebacker Frantz Joseph, FSU cornerback Tony Carter, FSU running back Antone Smith (Rounds 6, 7, if drafted). Joseph had a Sun Belt-high 154 tackles. Carter has quick reactions in coverage but is small (5-9) with a history of shoulder injuries. Smith rushed for 792 yards in '08 but lacks the size (5-8, 190) to be an every-down back.

• Many will get training camp invitations if they're not drafted, including linebacker Spencer Adkins (Lande rates him UM's second-best prospect), UCF cornerback Joe Burnett, FSU receiver Greg Carr and USF receiver Taurus Johnson.

RESIN8

Reaction score
A down year for the Florida schools. Usually a 1/4 of first round of the draft went to guys from from the three big schools out there. Now only one sure fire pick in this years draft?