Flutie in Aggieland....

ibis

Benched
Reaction score
Doug Flutie got the last football ride to Boston College...somehow as a true Freshman he won the quarterback job and took BC into College Station to open up against A&M.....BC then was mainly a bunch of slow white guys,lawyers to be mostly with a few North End Irish & Italians thrown in...BC won the game,the Flutie myth began and the rest thay say is History...I've never researched how that could have happened,I suspect A&M was on some sort of Probation...so,to the Aggie guys in here,what happened?...LTN...you can jump in as well...

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Maybe another Aggie can give you the lowdown because that was before my time and the only stories older Aggies ever told me were the wins. ;) I guess Flutie's rookie year would have been very early 80's? Before Jackie Sherrill or maybe his first year. Before Sherrill really did some good stuff with the Wrecking Crew. I'm not surprised Flutie won.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
1981 (Doug's first) was before even my time.

I do know that game was early in the season, played at Chestnut Hill, not Texas, and was low scoring. 13-12 I think I saw.

Doug sucked his first few years - threw into all kind of coverage. I imagine that game was won with the run.

ibis

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
1981 (Doug's first) was before even my time.

I do know that game was early in the season, played at Chestnut Hill, not Texas, and was low scoring. 13-12 I think I saw.

Doug sucked his first few years - threw into all kind of coverage. I imagine that game was won with the run.
...why would A&M come into Boston?...I think the game was College Station and BC went there in part for the payout...the game was the Labour day weekend...the reason it sticks out in my mind was that Flutie quarterbacked at Natick High...I was at the Cape that weekend and my kid cousin,who was then the current Natick High QB...wanted to bet the game (with me)...I called my bookie,who ran a deli in Miami...I was a big shot...and tried toplace the bet...I was shall we say...running negative with the book...and he hung up the phone...after demanding what I owed him in a delitefully accented Roumanian...

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score

ibis

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Do you have direct tv? They're running Bill's perss conference right now on CoachSpeak on the NFL channel..... :D

I had the wrong year.

BC played the Aggies in Doug's first year- playd in Newton.

http://www.aggieathletics.com/sports/football/history/years/1981.html

In his second, 1982, is the game you are referring to, in Texas.

http://www.aggieathletics.com/sports/football/history/years/1982.html

A shellacking.

Do your own research.

I don't remember either game.
..why thank you Doctor...(what else does she have to do at 2:30 in the morning)

joseephuss

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Do you have direct tv? They're running Bill's perss conference right now on CoachSpeak on the NFL channel..... :D

I had the wrong year.

BC played the Aggies in Doug's first year- playd in Newton.

http://www.aggieathletics.com/sports/football/history/years/1981.html

In his second, 1982, is the game you are referring to, in Texas.

http://www.aggieathletics.com/sports/football/history/years/1982.html

A shellacking.

Do your own research.

I don't remember either game.

Those were transition years for the Ags. Tom Wilson, the coach in 1981 was not a great college coach. He later became my high school coach at Palestine for a few years. The same high school that Adrian Peterson went to. Jackie Sherrill's first season was 1982 and the team was bad. It didn't take him long to build a tough defense and win some games.

ibis

Benched
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Those were transition years for the Ags. Tom Wilson, the coach in 1981 was not a great college coach. He later became my high school coach at Palestine for a few years. The same high school that Adrian Peterson went to. Jackie Sherrill's first season was 1982 and the team was bad. It didn't take him long to build a tough defense and win some games.
...you played at Palestine...tell me the nic was the"mightly Arafats"...