Football Only

Pats Fan

Benched
Reaction score
Few thoughts on my mind tonight before I get ready for the game.

Players in the '70's, '80's were better than anything to show for now.

Is that a fact??? I think the players are better now, stronger, bigger, faster, but the factor missing is heart. When I say this I think of Bruschi, too small, never be able to play the game.

If football goes the way of basketball, and baseball (coming back now), our game that we love is gone forever. Money, no loyalty, no heart. Is that why the guys in the '70's and '80's were better. They certainly were not faster, or bigger, or stronger.

Too many people, too little heart, too little effort.

But I am thinking, were they really better. I'm not sure.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Pats Fan said:
Few thoughts on my mind tonight before I get ready for the game.

Players in the '70's, '80's were better than anything to show for now.

Is that a fact??? I think the players are better now, stronger, bigger, faster, but the factor missing is heart. When I say this I think of Bruschi, too small, never be able to play the game.

If football goes the way of basketball, and baseball (coming back now), our game that we love is gone forever. Money, no loyalty, no heart. Is that why the guys in the '70's and '80's were better. They certainly were not faster, or bigger, or stronger.

Too many people, too little heart, too little effort.

But I am thinking, were they really better. I'm not sure.
Am I too drunk already or does this not make sense to anyone else?

Pats Fan

Benched
Reaction score
Simple, everyone thinks the players of earlier years could beat any team that plays today. Fact or ficton???

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Pats Fan said:
Simple, everyone thinks the players of earlier years could beat any team that plays today. Fact or ficton???
It's completely silly for anyone to actually think that older players were as good as today's players.

sago1

Reaction score
We didn't have 32 teams back in the 70s & 80s so less quality players to go around. Also those players mostly stuck with same team who drafted them whereas now all can become FAs which dilutes continuity on each team. No doubt in my mind that the great teams of the 70s/80s & 90s (assuming those players would be physically equal in strength/conditioningto the players now) would beat the tar out of so called elite teams now. Today's starters may all be top notch but the lack of quality depth behind them on many teams doesn't really exist. It's the way it is now and we all live with it. But heck, I love football and that's life.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
Pats Fan said:

fact

but then you went on a rant talking about money and loyalty, and said thats why the players from before are better. You actaully made zero sense. Stick to reminding everyone that all those evident Cheating you guys did in the first SB was comepley non existent

Mansta54

Reaction score
theogt said:
It's completely silly for anyone to actually think that older players were as good as today's players.

I agree!! Todays player is BIGGER, STRONGER, and FASTER.

Pats Fan

Benched
Reaction score
Silly or not, many people believe that, and gee theo they were not old when they were playing.

Heart or talent.

Could I get both please.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Pats Fan said:
Silly or not, many people believe that, and gee theo they were not old when they were playing.

Heart or talent.

Could I get both please.
Yes, many people believe silly things.

Pats Fan

Benched
Reaction score
Valid point Sago. Less teams, more talent on one team. And it really was not that long ago.

I didn't think of that, but your point is right on the money. Fewer teams, plus no Free Agents.

OK, plus the guys had more heart.

And to whoever that said it, we cheated in the SB. Get a life.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I don't know about players "back then" being better then anyone from today, but there's certainly some players from back then that can play today.

Dorsett
Unitas
Winslow

I'm sure there's more but I don't feel like thinking about it right now.

Mansta54

Reaction score
I don't know about players "back then" being better then anyone from today, but there's certainly some players from back then that can play today.

Dorsett
Unitas
Winslow

I loved to watch him run. Smooth, quick, and fast. Looked as if he was gliding!!!!! He's my "All Time" favorite RB..

Pats Fan

Benched
Reaction score
Off for dinner. Back for the game.

Watch closely, one of our guys may be on your team Monday and likewise for us.

We need WR and LB.

You need OL.

Next week we will see if both our needs are met.

Don't see us showing up in the SB together, so what the heck.

Mansta54

Reaction score
Pats Fan said:
Off for dinner. Back for the game.

Watch closely, one of our guys may be on your team Monday and likewise for us.

We need WR and LB.

You need OL.

Next week we will see if both our needs are met.

Don't see us showing up in the SB together, so what the heck.

Too bad, yall won't be there.. :laugh2:

MONT17

Reaction score
the OLs and DLs have changed the game.... u take the OL and DLs from today and put them back in the 70 and 80...

in the 70s and 80s there were much better QBs...

back then a QB would go to College, start his Jr and Sr year... get drafted sit for a cpl more years then start!!!

Now they start as freshmen, get drafted as Jrs... Holdout for 3 weeks and start week 6!!!

Pats Fan

Benched
Reaction score
I actually am a season ticket holder stuck in Florida right now.

30 years season ticket holder. Thank you NFL Network. And be gone -- what the heck is it -- TV Direct -- contract with the NFL through 2007 I believe then all bets are off.

Any team, any game, watch it. Of course pay for it. Way of the world. Now really off.

By the way, only watched a few minutes of your game last week with Romo. Looks better than Bledsoe in my mind. Now will that old fart Parcells let the guy play or what???????? That is the question.

You will have a few fun moments on that question in the near future.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
I watched the 1975 Rose Bowl on Classic a few months ago. The starting d-lines looked about as big as today's linebackers. Even Staubach would be considered short by today's standards.