For those ready to drop JJ, think back to another former Cowboy...

vlad

Reaction score
Jimmy Smith. Injury prone his first years with us, gets cut and goes on to be imho one of the greatest and most underappreciate WRs of our time. That guy was a beast year in and year out.

Freak injuries happen sometimes, let's face it. Now, I think without a doubt he has the ability to be a very good back, he has shown the dedication in the offseason (according to Parcells) and from all accounts I have read is a determined and recently humbled young guy.

Really, whether him or Marion, or freaking Larry Johnson is carrying it is irrelevant if our OL sucks (I know, from the few posts I do post, I sound like a broken record). Football is all about the interior, that's why we'll all be pissed by how well Philly will do this season (I still think we crush them).

You know where I'd like to see Julius run? Behind that Denver line and system, one cut and you're gone, that's his game, not 3 cuts to avoid lineman in the backfield and then pray for a corner or two yards up the middle. That's why both he and Barber's yards per carry were low last year.

While I'm hopeful after the SF game, the fact is they sucked to begin with and then they weren't even running their normal defense due to injuries. But hopefully it gave the OL confidence, sometims that all it needs. If they can squeeze some holes out, I think JJ and Marion have great years.

wesleyc288

Believer
Reaction score
Im with you...i dont have any doubt what so ever that JJ can be a VERY productive back in the N.F.L. He's had injury problems sure, but from what i can see he is doing everything he can to prevent that from happening in the offseason. Im pulling for him as most of us are. I didnt really like MBIII when we drafted him but he is looking really good also, which im proud to say.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I agree with Parcells. You get three years to prove something. If you don't, it's time to go somewhere else. If you leave here and become a great back. Good for you, but you wasted three years of our time. We don't have the luxury to give players that can't prove themselves within three years 5, 7, 10 years to try because the avg player shows something within those first three years. Beyond that you are wishing on a prayer. Sometimes prayers are answered. Sometimes you look damn stupid for holding onto someone for more than three years and he never panned out.

Three years/strikes and your out.

JJ better hope the offensive line and himself doesn't suffer an injury this year. It will be his last.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
It's not even the Oline that's the problem. Marion runs behind a bad Oline, Tyson runs behind a bad O'line, why cut JJ any slack?

In all honesty JJ just seems to be stoping himself rather than Injury or BP. It seems like he likes to hit the pile instead of hitting the Holes. I dont even see him go outside when he has the chance, he seems to be stubborn with going inside running into walls.

This isnt rocket science. JJ needs to open his eyes and RUN balls OUT. Cut the excuses, they dont mean jack.

burmafrd

Reaction score
And why does he not go outside? Because of BP and his rants about negative plays and "go where the play is designed." BP was getting on MB for doing the same last week.

joseephuss

Reaction score
DallasDomination said:
It's not even the Oline that's the problem. Marion runs behind a bad Oline, Tyson runs behind a bad O'line, why cut JJ any slack?

In all honesty JJ just seems to be stoping himself rather than Injury or BP. It seems like he likes to hit the pile instead of hitting the Holes. I dont even see him go outside when he has the chance, he seems to be stubborn with going inside running into walls.

This isnt rocket science. JJ needs to open his eyes and RUN balls OUT. Cut the excuses, they dont mean jack.

Julius Jones
257 carries
993 yards
3.86 yards per carry

Marion Barber
138 carries
538 yards
3.90 yards per carry

Tyson Thompson
46 carries
182 yards
3.96 yards per carry

Those averages are so close together that it seems like you can blame the line for all the rushing problems. None of the backs are averaging over 4.00 yards per carry. All three hit the pile because there is a pile and not a hole.

aikemirv

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Julius Jones
257 carries
993 yards
3.86 yards per carry

Marion Barber
138 carries
538 yards
3.90 yards per carry

Tyson Thompson
46 carries
182 yards
3.96 yards per carry

Those averages are so close together that it seems like you can blame the line for all the rushing problems. None of the backs are averaging over 4.00 yards per carry. All three hit the pile because there is a pile and not a hole.

Don't confuse them with facts!

All this stuff about JJ not hitting holes is nonsense. I have watched the preseason games a couple of times and it is VERY rare that JJ had a good cutback opportunity and did not take it.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Michael Irvin had his share of injury problems and also flashed huge potential as a rookie. Remember his almost single-handed destruction of Washington in 1988 to eliminate them from playoff contention? Similar to Julius Jones, Irvin finished strong after missing a ton of games because of an injury. Then he had a couple more injury-limited seasons before putting together a dominant year in 1991 on his way to multiple Superbowls and a likely HOF nomination.

We would never have given up on Irvin because he was a 1st round pick; Julius, though taken in the 2nd round, was also like Irvin our highest pick the year he was drafted. It makes no sense that he would be released unless he stumbles badly.

sacase

Reaction score
DallasDomination said:

He is only doing this because Parcells pretty much makes him. the first year JJ was bouncing things outside.

DallasDomination

Reaction score
The Difference between JJ and MArion Barber is real clear. Julius Gives you that big play potential but he's not very consistant and can sometimes stall a drive with bad runs into the pile. Marion on teh other hand wont give you that Home run Play but he's constant in moving the chains. He gets you those needed 6 yards, then that nice 8-12 yard play...he gives that extra efffort JJ seems to lack.

So with all that said. Having both backs on our backfield is a good combo.

Hiero

Reaction score
im not sure if this is the last year on jj's contract. if he has another serious or semi serious injury where he misses like 5 or more games, we need to think about drafting another rb to go along with barber.

2much2soon

Reaction score
Jimmy Smith's situation was way different than Julius Jones' situation.
Too soon to cut JJ loose but the comparision with Jimmy Smith is a poor one.

Jake0

Reaction score
DallasDomination said:
The Difference between JJ and MArion Barber is real clear. Julius Gives you that big play potential but he's not very consistant and can sometimes stall a drive with bad runs into the pile. Marion on teh other hand wont give you that Home run Play but he's constant in moving the chains. He gets you those needed 6 yards, then that nice 8-12 yard play...he gives that extra efffort JJ seems to lack.

So with all that said. Having both backs on our backfield is a good combo.

You are a little biased towards barber but yeah... your description is perfect for how the cowboys have their run game set up now. Barber's style is perfect for bein a 3rd down back. He gives that extra effort that you need to move the chains on short yardage and is a great receiver as well as blocker.

JJ is the main back and I think the averages posted are a little skewed because JJ was playing hurt much of the time.. really his only problem.. If he can get 194 against that panthers D with the line he had last year, he can still perform even with a bad line. Just gotta wait n' see.

pancakeman

Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Julius Jones
257 carries
993 yards
3.86 yards per carry

Marion Barber
138 carries
538 yards
3.90 yards per carry

Tyson Thompson
46 carries
182 yards
3.96 yards per carry

:fact: Break out the new smilies!

kojak

Who Loves Ya Baby?
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Julius Jones
257 carries
993 yards
3.86 yards per carry

Marion Barber
138 carries
538 yards
3.90 yards per carry

Tyson Thompson
46 carries
182 yards
3.96 yards per carry

That's a good point. The line was pathetic last year. We were keeping TE's to help the tackles on both sides. The passing game suffered because once teams realized this they could stack more in the box to stop the running game, while keeping Glenn and Keyshawn in check.

I think this year will be diffrent. We have already seen in Preseason what happens when teams were taking that same appraoch. They were getting burned by Hurd and Rector. Just think when the season comes and we have TO and GLenn on the field.

I am really hoping this will be the year for Julius to shine. We have all the pieces in place for a decent running game this year or at least better than what it has been. It's time to step up and produce.