foredskins defense

HipHop

Benched
Reaction score
If the foreskins lose both Smoot and Pierce, like speculated, how badly will that affect their defense next season?

They might not have the money to replace either with quality players because they have so many needs and not enough money.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
JokerJokerDeuce said:
If the foreskins lose both Smoot and Pierce, like speculated, how badly will that affect their defense next season?

They might not have the money to replace either with quality players because they have so many needs and not enough money.

They simply have to focus on WR and the OL this offseason, which will make it even more difficult for them to fill in the holes if both Smoot and Pierce leave... Pierce's leaving will hurt less, because Arrington will be reclaiming his spot as soon as he's healthy...

And just wait until they're forced to cut Chris Samuels...

:bomb:

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
3-4 guys just restructured so we're fine.....

Out with gardner in with mason.....

Out with Smoot in with....umm.....who's that rookie cb...rolle?

Out with coles and Jacobs and Thrash will have more playing time. I like jacobs.

Pierce won't leave....I hope......he seems like a joe gibbs type player.....

Danny boy has the cap thing figured out......Besides we didn't draft ( 2 ) LT's last season because we thought samuels was GOING to restructure. He's too inconsistent though. He shuts out the probowlers and allows 3 sacks from bums......

As for the defensive ranking......I think you need to download some of zebs clips my friend because we were HORRIBLE 2 years back( 28th? ) and were projected to get worse last season. Williams doesn't need stars he needs men to play a role. He schemes while pretty basic on film, work. And you can't find a pattern because their are millions of combonations between the plays and formations.

silverbear

Reaction score
KINGBRICE_28 said:
3-4 guys just restructured so we're fine.....

No, you're not... not if the Skins are serious about trading Laveraneus Coles, anyway... he's willing to give up the 5 million dollar signing bonus due in April if they CUT him, but not if they TRADE him...

Without giving back that bonus, trading Coles would cost the Skins in excess of a 9 million cap hit... that's why they're back in serious negotiations with Chris Samuels (negotiations that were dead in the water a few days ago), so that he can free up enough cap room that the Skins can go ahead and trade Coles...

The hot rumor du jour is Coles going back to the Jets in a straight up trade for Santana Moss... such a trade would wipe out the cap room the Skins have created with the recent contract renegotiations AND the cap room they'd gain by renegotiating Samuels' deal...

That leaves the Skins with next to nothing left to pursue other teams' free agents, and they still have like 18 of their own free agents to re-sign... FWIW, most of my info on this subject comes from the Washington Post, not some Dallas-area paper...

Out with gardner in with mason.....

Out with Gardner and Coles, in with Santana Moss and maybe a 3rd round draft pick... I call that a net loss for the receiving corps, in fact a rather large net loss...

As for Mason, you're dreaming... he's a fair bet to wind up in the NFC East next season, but it'll more likely be with the Cowboys or (gulp), the Iggles... good luck trying to bid on any free agent head to head against either of those two teams, when you're tight up against the cap and they have some 15-20 million to spend...

Nope, if Coles and Gardner do indeed both leave, bet the family ranch that they draft either Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards in the first round... if both are still on the board, they'll probably go with Williams, word is they like him a lot...

It was just a week or two ago that Gibbs clearly said the Skins would not be pursuing any high-dollar free agent wide receivers on a radio call-in show in DC... Mason definitely qualifies as a high-dollar free agent...

Out with Smoot in with....umm.....who's that rookie cb...rolle?

Lots of good corners in this draft, but there's very little chance the Skins will draft one in the first round, and Antrel Rolle will be long gone by the middle of the first round...

Out with coles and Jacobs and Thrash will have more playing time. I like jacobs.

Yeah, Jacobs will HAVE to step up... but Thrash is, always has been and always will be a spare...

Pierce won't leave....I hope......he seems like a joe gibbs type player.....

Hey, I understand why you hope that, I actually hope the Boys make a play for Pierce too... but money talks in the NFL, and as I said, the Skins have some problems with the cap this year... Antonio might well be one of the free agents forced to look elsewhere...

Danny boy has the cap thing figured out......

You're way too knowledgeable a football fan to believe that bit of homeristic propaganda, pal... many, many mediots have noted that the Skins have cap "hell" waiting for them next year, but to me it seems clear by the moves of the last week or so that they've already entered cap "heck"... you guys had to renegotiate a slew of deals to get even a little under the cap, now Coles has the Skins by the short hairs, and is threatening to remove what little cap room they created... so either you let Coles go with no return, thereby saving a little room under the cap to pursue a few second tier free agents, or you trade him and wipe out all of your cap room, necessitating another round of cuts or renegotiations (and I have a hunch that there aren't that many players left who CAN have their deals reworked)...

And of course, renegotiating contracts just pushes the day of reckoning a little further in the future... this is Danny Boy's favorite ploy, but it's not an open-ended tactic, sooner of later the bill will come do... when that happens, the Skins will have little choice but to blow it all up and start from scratch, a la the 49ers the last 2 years...

Not to be insulting to you personally, but I find it freaking HILARIOUS that Skins fans are convinced that Danny Boy is some football genius who has the cap thing all figured out... even though the Cowboys and Niners have both gone down the same road, and finally faced their day of reckoning... the notion that Danny Boy can do what their decision makers couldn't is quite laughable; if he's that much better than them, how come they have Lombardi Trophies and he doesn't??

Besides we didn't draft ( 2 ) LT's last season because we thought samuels was GOING to restructure. He's too inconsistent though. He shuts out the probowlers and allows 3 sacks from bums......

I don't disagree with that thinking, but apparently the Skins are quite eager to keep him around... for that kind of money, I think I'd cut him loose, he ain't bad, but he ain't elite, and he's making elite money right now...

Besides, I saw nothing from the two tackles y'all drafted last year to suggest they have anything approaching Samuels' talent...

As for the defensive ranking......I think you need to download some of zebs clips my friend because we were HORRIBLE 2 years back( 28th? ) and were projected to get worse last season. Williams doesn't need stars he needs men to play a role. He schemes while pretty basic on film, work. And you can't find a pattern because their are millions of combonations between the plays and formations.

Williams did a brilliant job with the Skins last year... one wonders if he'll be as effective minus Pierce and Smoot... Pierce won't hurt that bad, Arrington would compensate for his loss (if he does ultimately leave), but losing Smoot will hurt you...

Chrisbob

Reaction score
Smoot and Pierce would be bad loses for the 'Skins, no doubt. Smoot would be easier to replace than Pierce IMO as he is the "quarterback" of this defense.

As much help as the 'Skins need on offense, it's important they don't ignore the D, Williams achieved a lot last year considering the injuries etc but a lot of it was with "smoke and mirrors", that could easily get found out if the talent level were to drop again.

If Pierce does go the Skins still have Barrow, who is getting on but before last year when he was injuried, had his best season ever for the Giants. He also knows this D inside out.

I wouldn't like to rely on him, but the Skins may have to.

HipHop

Benched
Reaction score
I dont think losing Pierce will be that big of a problem because you'll be getting Arrington back for the year. While I think Arrington is over rated, he is still a playmaker. Personally, I think Marcus Washington is your best linebacker.

Losing Smoot could hurt a lot if you cant replace him with another proven commodity. While Springs played great last year, you really cant rely on him. I say that because Springs is like Terry Glenn and Dat Nguyen for us....they are solid playmakers, but you know they are due for injuries.

Terry played great in 2003, and I knew it was only a matter of time until he got hurt. 6 weeks into 2004, and he's out for the year.

Dat has had several significant injuries since he's been with Dallas, and I can't help but think he's going to suffer another eventually.

Springs is that kind of player. He's good when healthy, but every Sunday he makes it off the field healthy, you should breath a sigh of relief.

silverbear

Reaction score
Chrisbob said:
If Pierce does go the Skins still have Barrow

Uhhhh, I thought the Skins released Barrow a coupla weeks back, pal... coulda sworn I read that in the Post...

Chrisbob

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Uhhhh, I thought the Skins released Barrow a coupla weeks back, pal... coulda sworn I read that in the Post...
No, not yet, there was talk if he failed his physical he would get the chop. I'm guessing that is what you seen. He hasn't gone yet, maybe if Pierce resigns, they may allow Clifton Smith to back him up and cut their loses with Barrow.

KINGBRICE_28

Reaction score
touche:D

Btw: Smootie may be on the way out and rolle is neg'ing as we speak.

Pierce....Please don't leave....

As yes I think Danny has this cap thing down. Thats why we haven't been in cap h*ll for the past ( predeicted ) 4 years. However A couple wrong moves ( like Brunell Part 2 ) and we may screw ourselves out of any high draft chioces or FA's in a few years. I find it doubtful that danny would let the skin becaome the titans.