CFZ Forget your pet cats. We need some DAWGS!

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
This is the Detroit Lions draft strategy, and I love it. Throw all the analytics out the window, and draft a guy who plays really hard and has huge college production. And their hit rate has actually been excellent.

I'd say your Dan Campbell kneecap-biter guys in the late first this year are Barton, Frazier, Newton, Wilson, and maybe Kool-Aid.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Part of what I’m saying with this thread is my strong hope that we draft guys in rounds 1, 2 and 3 that are immediate impact guys - preferably starters - NOT developmental projects.

All drafts will have developmental players who are drafted with the idea that it may take a year or two to see return on investment. What I’m saying is we can’t afford that with our early round picks.

morasp

Reaction score
Junior Colson
  • Straps it up every game and is willing to play through pain.
  • Brings thunder as a hitter and rarely allows broken tackles.
JPJ
  • Plays with a rugged, disdainful attitude toward opponents.
Malachi Corley
  • Truck-stick power to break tackles and punish perimeter defenders.
Edgerrin Cooper
  • Plays each snap with unbridled passion and intensity.
  • Brings the thunder as a forceful striker.
Christian Haynes
  • Gets into blocks with a strong desire to move and finish his opponent.

Ruke Orhororo
  • Field demeanor can turn cranky from time to time.
Adissa Isaac
“He’s a little light but I really like the competitiveness and how he never gives the tackles a break. He’s always through the whistle.” - AFC regional scout

Sedrick Van Pran-Granger
  • Gritty and determined with three years of high-leverage snaps under his belt.
Fabien Lovett
Lovett is a wide-bodied, two-gapping impediment to running attacks looking to impose their will between the tackles.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
This time of year this board fills with fans’ favorite players we “must” draft. Known as “pet cats”, we all have probably at one time or another had a guy pegged we just had to draft. It can be both fun and annoying depending on one’s perspective.

This year the list of pet cats I’ve seen is long. Tyler Guyton, Amarius Mims, Jackson Powers-Johnson, Jonathan Brooks, Payton Wilson…just to name a few. And maybe we draft one of those guys and it works out. We all can probably agree on that.

BUT…here’s the point of my thread: I don’t care who we draft as long as it’s a DAWG! My definition of a dawg is someone who has impact day one. They start and they have immediate impact of the improvement of this team. With huge holes throughout this team’s roster, the need for guys who can play and play NOW is huge. So please…no Tacos or Mazis…we need some immediate impact!

So whoever we draft starting Thursday, I don’t care if it’s anyone pet cat. Just draft a bunch of DAWGS!
Agreed , we need some nastiness in the trenches. Guys who are physical and take the fight to other teams