Former Cowboy Gives Back Yesterday

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Lets give a big thanks to Jason Bell (Campo Era) hitting Terry Glenn out of bounds giving the G-Men yet another personal foul call.

2much2soon

Reaction score
There were some gint fans saying that shouldn't of been a penalty. That Glenn wasn't out of bounds.
How about the leading with the helmet into a helmet part? Bell could get fined for that move.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
BlueStar22;1210017 said:
Lets give a big thanks to Jason Bell (Campo Era) hitting Terry Glenn out of bounds giving the G-Men yet another personal foul call.

Bell rung Terry's Bell... then we rung up the Giants. Thanks!

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
2much2soon;1210038 said:
There were some gint fans saying that shouldn't of been a penalty. That Glenn wasn't out of bounds.
How about the leading with the helmet into a helmet part? Bell could get fined for that move.

In that situation, helmet to helmet isn't a penalty.

But it WAS a hit out of bounds. The gnats are making excuses for their poor play.

2much2soon

Reaction score
Rack;1210057 said:

But it WAS a hit out of bounds. The gnats are making excuses for their poor play.

Roy got fined for that, because it was on a QB(Leftwich)?
But didn't Woodson get that whopping fine, like 75k, for leading withe helmet on Darrell Jackson of Seattle a few years ago?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
2much2soon;1210110 said:
Roy got fined for that, because it was on a QB(Leftwich)?
But didn't Woodson get that whopping fine, like 75k, for leading withe helmet on Darrell Jackson of Seattle a few years ago?

Roy didn't get fined for helmet to helmet contact, he got fined for leading with his helmet on a QB.

You can't do anything to qb's nowadays. Next year they're gonna put in a rule where defenders, when they get within 3 yards of the QB have to stop and yell "ready or not, here is come!" before they can actually sack them. Failure to do so will result in a 75 yard penalty.

Woodson got fined cuz his helmet "supposedly" hit Jackson's helmet. You can't go helmet to helmet on a "Defenseless" WR. If the WR lands and turns to run, you can nail his arse... for now.

adamknite

Reaction score

Hitting with the helmet is illegal no matter who it is to. It was put into the rules in 1996.

"Hits with the helmet or to the head by the defender will be flagged as personal fouls and subject to fines. This is being done to protect the offense, particularly the quarterback."

And this from the official NFL website.
http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/penaltysummaries
Look Under fifteen yard penalties:

13. A tackler using his helmet to butt, spear, or ram an opponent.

14. Any player who uses the top of his helmet unnecessarily.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Former Cowboy Gives Back Yesterday

I can't wait for next week when Jason Bell gives back tomorrow.

Sorry for being a smart *** Bluestar and on a serious note I was wondering how many fans picked up on Jason Bell on that play. I used to like that dude and was sorry to see him go to the Texans. Once we cut him he was always good for trying to stick it to us on special teams.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
adamknite;1210222 said:
Hitting with the helmet is illegal no matter who it is to. It was put into the rules in 1996.

"Hits with the helmet or to the head by the defender will be flagged as personal fouls and subject to fines. This is being done to protect the offense, particularly the quarterback."

And this from the official NFL website.
http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/penaltysummaries
Look Under fifteen yard penalties:

13. A tackler using his helmet to butt, spear, or ram an opponent.

14. Any player who uses the top of his helmet unnecessarily.

13 and 14 are the same. Using the top of your helmet IS spearing.

There is helmet to helmet contact on more then half the plays of any given game. And it's NOT a penalty unless it's spearing, on a QB, or on a defenseless WR.

adamknite

Reaction score
Rack;1211022 said:
13 and 14 are the same. Using the top of your helmet IS spearing.

There is helmet to helmet contact on more then half the plays of any given game. And it's NOT a penalty unless it's spearing, on a QB, or on a defenseless WR.

It's the NFL rules they listed them seperately, not I. And it is a penalty if you lead with the helmet no matter who you hit, the NFL rulebook says so. Right there in that link, it doesn't say anywhere "only on QB or defenceless WR"

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
adamknite;1211046 said:
It's the NFL rules they listed them seperately, not I. And it is a penalty if you lead with the helmet no matter who you hit, the NFL rulebook says so. Right there in that link, it doesn't say anywhere "only on QB or defenceless WR"

I agree, but not all helmet to helmet contact is a result of LEADING with the helmet.

SteveOS

Dedicated to Sports Gaming
Reaction score
That out of bounds late hit penalty is so ticky tacky. I've seen much worse hits on players and not see a flag. I was surprised to see the flag come out, especially in New York. The refs need to be more consistant w/ that call.

I've also seen quite a few horsecollar tackles this year, that haven't been called. And don't even get me started on the "You can't breathe on a QB" penalties.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Rack;1210143 said:
Roy didn't get fined for helmet to helmet contact, he got fined for leading with his helmet on a QB.

Woodson got fined cuz his helmet "supposedly" hit Jackson's helmet. You can't go helmet to helmet on a "Defenseless" WR. If the WR lands and turns to run, you can nail his arse... for now.

If i remember correctly...Woodson knocked the crap out of Jackson, not leading with his helmet. He got penalized 15 yards and fined, but as i recall he got him mostly with his shoulder. Anyone got a vid?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Future 585;1211174 said:
If i remember correctly...Woodson knocked the crap out of Jackson, not leading with his helmet. He got penalized 15 yards and fined, but as i recall he got him mostly with his shoulder. Anyone got a vid?

Christ do I really have to explain the same thing over and over?

You don't have to LEAD with your helmet on a defeneless WR. If your Helmet touches the defenseless WRs helmet (whether you're leading with it or not), it's a penalty.

That said, I didn't think Woodson's helmet touched Jackson's, but the NFL did.

The top of Woodson's helmet MAY have nicked the bottom of Jackson's facemask. And the fine was complete BS. The fine was mainly cuz of the seizure Jackson got after the game. You shouldn't get fined for the end result of a hit and how it effected the player AFTER the game. But the guy handing out fines was a former wussy WR so what do you expect?

2much2soon

Reaction score
Future 585;1211174 said:

I think the perception was that he led with the helmet but actually landed the blow with his shoulder and his head followed without much, IMO, impact. It was such a horrificly hard, bad looking hit the NFL hammered him with a fine.
Dawkins got one a few years ago, too, I think, for the "hitting a defensless player" interpretation.
Glenn was trying to get out of bounds on the Bell hit so it may turn out to be interpreted that he was defenseless as well.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
2much2soon;1210038 said:

Yeah, his name was superpunk! :D

cowboyed

Reaction score
SteveOS;1211125 said:
That out of bounds late hit penalty is so ticky tacky. I've seen much worse hits on players and not see a flag. I was surprised to see the flag come out, especially in New York. The refs need to be more consistant w/ that call.

I've also seen quite a few horsecollar tackles this year, that haven't been called. And don't even get me started on the "You can't breathe on a QB" penalties.

Well the flag flies against us numerous times. How about that interference penalty on Henry when he was covering Burress close turned around and went for the ball just like skunk nuts.