Former Eastern Michigan players Lang, Holtzclaw

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Former Eastern Michigan players Lang, Holtzclaw hope to hear from NFL teams during draft weekend
by Jeff Arnold | The Ann Arbor News
Wednesday April 22, 2009, 11:50 PM
http://www.mlive.com/eagles/index.ssf/2009/04/former_eastern_michigan_player.html

T.J. Lang has bounced from airport to airport to interview for NFL jobs.

By now, the former Eastern Michigan University offensive lineman has learned to sell himself to potential employers.

And, after meetings with 10 potential suitors, Lang is forced to wait for his future to be determined this weekend during the NFL Draft.

At times, his curiosity gets the best of him, and he'll peruse mock draft boards.

Speculation means little, but seeing others forecast where the 6-foot-4-inch, 316-pound Lang may land is, after all, part of the process.

"I'm just trying to stay relaxed," Lang said this week. "I'm not nervous about it quite yet, but it's definitely exciting."

During the past two weeks, Lang - who's projected to be a mid-to-late round draft pick - has met with a variety of teams, ranging from Baltimore to San Diego.

Lang, who fell one vote short of an NFL Combine invitation, has been content to be himself. His laid-back demeanor is in stark contrast to his tenacious work ethic that has impressed several NFL teams.

"I felt like I was under the radar a little bit and that I had something to prove," Lang said. "I realized that (getting drafted) was going to be a little tougher, but I know how hard I have worked. I'm going to get into a (NFL) camp and prove that I belong."

He isn't alone in his thinking.

Like Lang, Daniel Holtzclaw is also waiting.

Holtzclaw, a 6-foot, 245-pound linebacker who finished his career as Eastern Michigan's second all-time leading tackler with 437, hasn't attracted the attention of NFL scouts.

"I'm hoping for the best, and I'm preparing for the worst," Holtzclaw said from his home in Oklahoma on Tuesday night. "Whatever comes up, I'm ready for."

Any interaction with NFL teams has come over the phone or through his agent, leaving the 6-foot, 245-pound linebacker to keep working while his future remains in the hands of others.

Holtzclaw's name doesn't appear on mock draft boards like Lang's, and he realizes he may have to earn a roster spot as an undrafted free agent.

Mock drafts only motivate Holtzclaw, who was left to depend on a YouTube video from Eastern Michigan's Pro Day to showcase his abilities.

He'll spend this weekend with his family and wait for the phone to ring, but he's prepared to work his way into an NFL camp.

"I'm always going to get overlooked. There's always going to be the bigger program with linebackers that are going to overshadow me," Holtzclaw said.

"I want to be drafted, but I'm always going to have that chip on my shoulder no matter what happens, and I'm always going to remember what happened."

Jeff Arnold can be reached at jarnold@annarbornews.com or 734-994-6814.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2741704 said:
Bring that chip on your shoulder south of the Red, Daniel.

yep, and shhhhhhhhh, dont tell hostile, because Daniel Holtzclaw was one of his pet players;

irvin4evs

Benched
Reaction score
In the video I've seen of Lang all he does is hold. The Giants will draft him.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
irvin4evs;2741743 said:
In the video I've seen of Lang all he does is hold. The Giants will draft him.

yep, giants are keen on holding and the refs dont call them on it;

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2741704 said:
Bring that chip on your shoulder south of the Red, Daniel.

Abso-frikkin-lutely, I want this pissed off overachiever as a priority UDFA.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Holtzclaw is looking at like a 7th round or UFA that I would take a chance on. Guys like him will instantly bring some hard work and passion to this team.