Former UT Lineman Will Allen quits on Saints

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/base/sports-23/1147759725287110.xml

HE'S DONE: Free-agent offensive lineman Will Allen, 6-4, 306 pounds, of Texas abruptly left the rookie minicamp after participating in four practices.
Allen apparently departed Sunday night, and was not at Monday morning's final workout.
"It's not for everybody," Saints coach Sean Payton said Monday. "Rather now, than take up a spot we could be bringing to camp. We wish him well. Disappointing is when you get to camp and find out he didn't come and you're one roster spot short. It's May now. We had a couple of young guys do some things in that position where we'll be just fine."

PICKS OF THE DAY: Free-agent linebacker Mike Nattiel of Florida intercepted two passes during separate drills Monday.
Nattiel, 5-11, 227, playing at middle linebacker, made a twisting interception of a pass from free-agent quarterback Joel Klatt in a skeleton passing drill, then grabbed a tipped ball in the team portion of the workout.

PRAISE FOR UNDRAFTEDS: Payton said, without being specific, he liked what he saw from several of the players who were signed for this rookie camp as free agents.
"There were a handful of them," Payton said. "We're going to meet with these guys and I'm sure when it's all said and done there'll be a few guys, even free-agent tryout guys, that we may look to sign. That's encouraging. These guys all recognize this as an opportunity. I know it's a short window of time. You want to make sure you're doing the right thing with your evaluation."

parchy

Reaction score
Maybe thats a sign that Payton is running a Parcells-like camp. Good for him.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
NO its not a sign that payton is running a parcells like camp. Will Allen was actually was contemplating leaving football after the rose bowl and now he finally did.

J-DOG

Reaction score
Uninversity of Texas O-lineman are getting a bad reputation.
Thier track record is not looking good.
Mike Williams-a bust.... 4th pick in his draft.
Will Allen
Lenard Davis-underachiever.
Jonathan Scott-drafted in the 5th round and not a great scouting report prior to the draft.
Seem's like the Texas players are treated like royalty and when they get to the pro's they are in for a rude awakening.
While I do not have a link, I know I read several scouting reports talking about how Texas players are not disciplined and regimented to the pro-style.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Well at least they didn't waste a draft pick on him like the Rams did on Eric Crouch.

bobtheflob

Reaction score
I think this is just coincidence. Lots of players from any major school turn into busts. Look at how their defensive linemen have performed.

TwoSteppinJJ

Reaction score
Yeah bob, The only school that produces top knotch talent pretty much year in and year out is miami. Its almost a sure thing when you draft a cane.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
He was one of the lineman that I was hoping the Cowboys would take in the 6th or 7th round, I'm glad we stayed away now. Maybe, that's why he wasn't drafted because his heart wasn't in it anymore.