News: Four years later, Lawrence Okoye has gone from Olympics to Cowboys

CCBoy

Reaction score
Four years later, Lawrence Okoye has gone from Olympics to Cowboys
i

Todd ArcherESPN Staff Writer

Four years later, Lawrence Okoye has gone from Olympics to Cowboys

OXNARD, Calif. -- Four years ago, football was not on Lawrence Okoye's mind.

The Olympics in his homeland were. He finished 12th in the discus in the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.

Now he is nine time zones away trying to make the Dallas Cowboys as a defensive lineman. There is no sentiment, no longing for the London Games, no looking back on his decision.

“This is a long time ago,” Okoye said. “This is four years ago. It’s in my past. It’s not something I think about.”

Now he is trying to win a roster spot. He spent parts of three seasons with the San Francisco 49ers, mostly on the practice squad. He was on the Arizona Cardinals' practice squad last year before a parking snafu led to his release. He closed the season on the New York Jets' practice squad.

On June 8, he signed with the Cowboys.

“We’ve had a lot of guys go down during camp, so I’m getting an opportunity to play inside [at defensive tackle] as well,” Okoye said. “Ultimately, I’m competing for that end spot, but it’s great to be able to play inside on third down. It’s good to show that versatility.”

i

Lawrence Okoye is trying to make it with the Cowboys after competing in the Olympics in 2012. AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez

Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli called Okoye’s performance so far in camp “up and down."

“At times, you can really see the power. I mean, really get the power, but sometimes the base is so narrow,” Marinelli said. “The consistency of doing it every down and the grind of doing it every down in this system is really, really hard to play physically. There is no chance to ever take a down off. If you’re not coming off the ball low and physical when you’re a penetrating defense, it’s a grind. But he’s got some real good upside, and he’s a smart guy. He’s just got to learn to go day to day.”

At 6-foot-6 and 310 pounds, Okoye has the build to play in the NFL and be a top discus thrower. He started training for the discus when he was 19, and two years later he had the national record with a throw of 68.24 meters.

The power generated in the discus can be relatable to football.

“I think it’s very obvious they’re looking for pass-rushers,” Okoye said before he injured his elbow. “I think so far in camp I’ve shown the ability, but it’s a daily thing. You have to try every day, and playing outside I’ve had a lot of good opportunities to rush. Now, with the guys going down, I can rush inside and I can show I can do that. I think I’ve displayed that, but coach Marinelli expects that every second of every day, so I’ve just got to make sure I keep doing that.”

While Okoye does not want to talk about his Olympic days, he believes he is carrying the flag for football in the United Kingdom.

“It’s getting a big following, and the more Brits that come out and do well, I think the more the game will grow over there,” Okoye said. “That’s part of my journey, too, to try and pioneer the sport over there. But, again, it all comes from what you do on a day-to-day basis and making plays on the field.”