Fox Czar Blog: Singletary vs. Turner

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It’s all about San Francisco in Dallas these days. Two of the 49ers’ assistant coaches -- linebacker coach Mike Singletary and offensive coordinator Norv Turner – have reportedly drawn even in the race to be the next head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Both men would be interested in Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera in the same capacity with the Cowboys.

What is very interesting about the debate between the two coaches is which one does 49ers head Coach Mike Nolan desperately want to retain? Many believe Nolan needs Turner to keep Alex Smith and Frank Gore and his offense improving. And what continues to be fascinating with Singletary is that he’s never been a coordinator. Nolan passed over him in order to hire San Diego’s Greg Manusky this week.

LINK

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Singletary and Manusky are both former players and Manusky only has one year of coaching experience over Singletary.

I thought Nolan was passing on Singletary because he wanted someone with a lot of experience at DC like Norv has at OC. I guess I was wrong -- he just didn't think Singletary was qualified.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1355544 said:
It’s all about San Francisco in Dallas these days. Two of the 49ers’ assistant coaches -- linebacker coach Mike Singletary and offensive coordinator Norv Turner – have reportedly drawn even in the race to be the next head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. Both men would be interested in Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera in the same capacity with the Cowboys.

What is very interesting about the debate between the two coaches is which one does 49ers head Coach Mike Nolan desperately want to retain? Many believe Nolan needs Turner to keep Alex Smith and Frank Gore and his offense improving. And what continues to be fascinating with Singletary is that he’s never been a coordinator. Nolan passed over him in order to hire San Diego’s Greg Manusky this week.

LINK

This is interesting that Singletary kinda came out of nowhere as a last second interview and apparently blew Jerry away. Both coaches have postives and negatives.

Norv

Postives are that he is great OC, developed Aikman into a HOF QB, and could mentor Garrett as possible successor in a couple of years.

Negaives are that he totally blows as a HC, record wise. He is like 20 something games under .500, this does not instill alot of confidence from the fans and players I imagine. He also seems kinda passive or soft if you will, I dont see him being confrontational at all. This might be a problem if TO leaves the reservation during the year.

Singletary

Postives are that he is a great motivator, really commands a room with his presence, and he is a HOF player that will instantly have crediblilty with the fans and players I imagine.

Negatives are his lack of experience and that fact that his own club just passed him over for DC, that sounds kinda disturbing. He is a 4-3 guy, so would we be converting back after just 2 years in the 3-4. This might require some personnel changes on D.

Advantage: I still think Norv in the end gets the nod due to his familiarity with the team and Jerry. Also if Norv blows and we are back to 5-11 next year, we can dump Norv alot easier than Singletary.

Thoughts???

ddh33

Reaction score
So Mike has pulled even with Norv? How credible is this guy?

Out of curiosity, how does anyone feel considering that Singletary didn't interview with Bill at all? Does that make you feel a little less confident?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
theogt;1355552 said:
Singletary and Manusky are both former players and Manusky only has one year of coaching experience over Singletary.

I thought Nolan was passing on Singletary because he wanted someone with a lot of experience at DC like Norv has at OC. I guess I was wrong -- he just didn't think Singletary was qualified.

Apparently it is true that Nolan would use Singletary as a fallback for coordinator if unable to get anyone experienced and that if it came about, he would still have to oversee the defense. And turns out he hires Manusky, who has extensive 3-4 experience.

So if Nolan doesn't trust him to run his defense alone, why on earth should Jerry Jones entrust him to run the whole team?

It is a very odd situation.