FOX: Garrett next coach in the Atl?

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7568424

Where do the Falcons turn now? With Bobby Petrino preferring coaching at Arkansas to the NFL, owner Arthur Blank could return to his first choice last season, San Francisco linebacker coach Mike Singletary. Blank was talked out of hiring Singletary, who wowed Blank in his interview, by Falcons GM Rich McKay. McKay wanted an offensive mind to help quarterback Michael Vick.

Well, we all know what happened to Vick, and his conviction ruined Petrino's plans and the coach ultimately believed his offense would never succeed without a top-flight quarterback. Petrino didn't want to go through another NFL season with an inexperienced NFL quarterback.
The top unemployed coaches are CBS analyst Bill Cowher, who won a Super Bowl with the Steelers, and Marty Schottenheimer, who may be retired after being fired in San Diego, but says he does want to coach again. Cowher, who lives in North Carolina, has to be the top choice. But Cowher insists that he wants to sit out one more season before returning to the NFL. There is speculation that he also promised Pittsburgh owner Dan Rooney that he would sit out two years before returning to the coaching sideline.

The hottest NFL assistant is Dallas offensive coordinator Jason Garrett. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones almost made Garrett his head coach last off-season before settling on Wade Phillips, who has done a remarkable job with the 12-1 Cowboys. Garrett, though, has made Dallas exciting on offense once again and has somehow worked his magic on Terrell Owens and kept him involved all season. Tony Romo and Jason Witten have also benefited from Garrett's style of sticking with what's working.

Garrett is happy for now coaching the Cowboys. But he will receive offers and eventually Jones may be forced to make a decision between keeping Phillips or possibly losing Garrett for good. If not this off-season, then definitely after 2008. Garrett could leave when several potential openings would occur in the NFL. Jones can pay Garrett more and more, but eventually the young coordinator will want his own job.

There is one final name in Atlanta. When Blank bought the team, he was considering Steve Mariucci, who was working his way out of San Francisco. Mooch eventually sat out the season and ended up in Detroit.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
somehow I don't think Garrett would be interested in taking the Atlanta job. Most people would blame this season on the loss of Vick and Petrino but Atlanta is as close to a rebuilding process as you can get in the NFL. The offense lack serious fire power and the defense is is full of average, over payed players. The stars are getting up there in years and their most recognizable player is perhaps the most over rated player in the NFL.

Gordon

Reaction score
The Atlanta job is about as unattractive as a NFL job could get, IMO. They really don't have much in the way of potential when you look at their roster.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
If they want someone with experience, Andy Reid is the better choice. Assuming that Philly will be boneheaded. If they need a coach that will build up their team in 4 years and then leave, Parcells is good at that. Garrett needs more experience, before he starts rebuilding disasters.

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
I heard the other day that Atlanta has only had 6 winning seasons in their 30+ year history. I don't think Garrett would go to a team that has a history of losing.

The gigs I see him in are Dallas, Giants or Jets. The only reason I say the Jets is because he's from the New York/New Jersey area.

I think his first selection is Dallas, though. If Wade can get his SB ring this year or next year, I think he'll retire, IMHO. Then Garrett comes in and takes over the HC job.

cowboyz

Reaction score
Gangsta Spanksta;1834852 said:
For an unproven coach, it could be a career ending move.
yeah, i think atlanta is just like the cowboys pre parcells. then need someone to come in and fix it, garrett is more of a wade philips mike tomlin guy. someone to come in and take the team to another level

now if i were the ravens, i'd go after garrett

T-Bone 625

Reaction score
Atlanta is a pro sports "Dead Zone". UGA football is king in that area.

They had good fan support because of Vick, but now that he is out of the picture it will revert back to a "wasteland" in the GA. Dome.

They wouldn't even support the Braves when they were winning year after year. You could get Braves tix with a "Happy Meal" combo at Micky D's.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
you know, for all the love and attention that Garrett is getting he stepped into a extremely good situation here. He has a great QB, good receivers (TO is great), a Pro Bowl TE, and two good RBs. Sparano coordinated the 5th best offense already last year. Garrett has a great situation here. He'd be better served staying patient and letting Jerry break the bank to keep him. There is no better job i the NFL than the Dallas Cowboys when we're winning.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Yes! More JG to another team talk.

Still not buying any of it.

He is here to stay.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
aardvark;1834881 said:
except for the train wreck that is in Miami

I think it is worse. There is a strong possibility that the GM and Owner don't work well with coaches.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1834876 said:
I wouldn't take the ATL job for any amount of money.

That's a lie and you know it! :D

If someone offered you a billion dollars a year to coach that team, you'd be on a plane sporting Falcon's gear in no time.

nathanlt

Reaction score
TheCount;1835024 said:
That's a lie and you know it! :D

If someone offered you a billion dollars a year to coach that team, you'd be on a plane sporting Falcon's gear in no time.

Unless Jerry offers Garrett part ownership in the franchise, that will keep him around, it's an investment.

And who would be better than someone from Princeton?

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
I'll stick with my prediction the night Petrino left.

Singletary.

After dealing with a sleezy college coach, Blank goes back to his favorite interview from last January and hires an NFL guy with outstanding integrity.

sago1

Reaction score
I think Garrett is a very smart guy. As successful as he has been in Dallas, he also stepped into a situation tailor made for him to succeed if he had the ability to do so. He's smart enough to tailor the offense to Romo's strengths and utilize our best offensive weapons. Garrett won't find that situation in Atlanta and he also won't find an owner like Jerry Jones there. I don't think Garrett would even be interested in this job cause frankly it would be a step down.

Also don't believe Garrett is ready to become a head coach in 08. We now know he is a good OC when he's got the talent. He wouldn't have the talent in Atlanta and there's also another of kettle of fish down there. If Garrett is interested in the Atlanta job, then he's not as smart as we think and maybe Soprano should be the next OC of the Cowboys. However, I really don't see Garrett leaving anytime soon despite Aikman's pimping him.