FoxSports: Character Guys Worth Considering

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Character guys worth considering

Adam Schein / Special to FOXSports.com
Posted: 2 hours ago

With Pacman Jones and Chris Henry dominating the headlines, let's look at some of the talented players in this draft who would also be described as great "character" guys, and where they might be drafted.

Anthony Gonzalez: I am a big believer in the Ohio State receiver. Gonzalez told us that the interview process was humbling, meeting with so many football savvy people.

The football world likes Gonzalez, who has a great football IQ and has tested well on every mental challenge administered by coaches and general managers.

He was a team leader for the Buckeyes. Nobody worked harder or practiced longer than Gonzalez.

We expect Gonzalez to be a late first round pick or early second rounder. Gonzalez has great hands, shows no fear, and makes tough catches over the middle.

He is a Bill Belichick type of player, and Gonzalez had a great meeting with New England, though the Pats might be out of the receiver business after this offseason. Miami and San Francisco could be waiting if he gets to round two.

Zach Miller: He is the most versatile tight end in this draft. He loves catching passes, and has very good hands, but knows how valuable it is to block.

It will be tough to find a more focused player in the weight room or practice field. In talking to Miller this week, he told us that he prides himself on his versatlity. He has lined up as a tight end, fullback and tailback.

Miller is a late first-round, early second-round pick. He tells us he had a great meeting with the Chicago Bears. Carolina and Cincy are also possibilities.

Josh Wilson: Wilson defines "good character" in every possible way. He was given the 2005 Iron Terp award by his teammates for being the club's workout warrior.

He's also a very serious student who says his classroom focus comes from his mother, who always insisted studies came before football. I guess the message stuck. He won the Jim Tatum award as the top football student-athlete in the ACC.

You can tell how intelligent he is and how focused he is when you talk to him. On the field, Wilson is a burner. He's one of the fastest players in the 2007 draft and can make a Devin Hester-like impact immediately as a returner.

While just 5-foot-9, he had incredible success against top receivers in college.

Wilson is a strong second-round pick. He'll be under consideration for the Saints, Jets, Chargers, Dolphins, Titans, Rams and Bengals.

Justin Blalock: The guard/tackle was an unquestioned team leader for Mack Brown's Longhorns the last four years.

Blalock has the all-time UT record for consecutive starts and his play and work ethic helped him become team captain last season.

Brown has raved about how easy it is for Blalock to pick up the game with his smarts.

Blalock tells us that he is being looked at as both a guard and right tackle.
He says one of his favorite meetings was with Eric Mangini, where he was peppered with cerebral type tests.

Blalock visited the Ravens and Commanders this week. The Jets, Bears, Cardinals, and Browns could be calling for this late first-, early second-round pick.

Ben Grubbs: At Auburn, the guard was known for his work ethic. Grubbs is a football junkie who prides himself on leadership, hard work, dedication and winning.

He is a very good athlete who can likely play right away and solidify the guard position for many years. He'll be on the radar for Kansas City, Dallas, Chicago and Baltimore in the first round.

Adam Schein hosts the Afternoon Blitz on Sirius NFL Radio with Solomon Wilcots and Jim Miller from 3-7 ET. Schein is the NFL insider for Sports Net New York. His "Scheintology" columns appear daily and his video NFL picks video reports appear every Friday on FOXSports.com. Email him at adamjschein@hotmail.com

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Yep, that's what I really like about Blalock. I see him as someone who could play every position on the line but left tackle.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Ya know who's considered a great character guy? Anthony Spencer.

:D

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;1447588 said:
Yep, that's what I really like about Blalock. I see him as someone who could play every position on the line but left tackle.

I would not be at all disappointed in taking Blalock in the 1st round or Grubbs in the 2nd.

I am a firm believer in taking an OL on Day-1 in EVERY draft.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind Wilson in Dallas, he could be the starting PR and would replace Glenn as soon as next year as the primary 3rd CB

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1447624 said:
I wouldn't mind Wilson in Dallas, he could be the starting PR and would replace Glenn as soon as next year as the primary 3rd CB

I don't know how keen I would be on spending a 2nd round pick on an undersized guy who is likely to never be a starter. If he turned out to be an outstanding return man then it would be worth it but if not then it was wasted IMO.

Not to say that we haven't wasted more than our share of 2nd round picks over the years... :bang2: At least this one would be on a nice guy instead of some of the jerks we have selected.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
THUMPER;1447636 said:
I don't know how keen I would be on spending a 2nd round pick on an undersized guy who is likely to never be a starter. If he turned out to be an outstanding return man then it would be worth it but if not then it was wasted IMO.

Not to say that we haven't wasted more than our share of 2nd round picks over the years... :bang2: At least this one would be on a nice guy instead of some of the jerks we have selected.

I think Wilson can start in this league, he's the same size as Newman when he came into the league, except for 1 inch shorter

but I can agree that Wilson in the 2nd can't be the worst thing we could do

superpunk

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;1447624 said:
Heck yes, Terps. I'm on board. ;)

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Character guys

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v628/cowboyszone/thread_stuff/downwiththat.jpg

Colo

Rocky Mountain High
Reaction score
AG could be a good pick up. A trade down to early second to snag AG and a couple extra picks might not be a bad idea.

Spectre

Reaction score
No Aaron Ross or Jason Hill.

Both great character guys.
Both great players.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
smarta5150;1447717 said:
What about Bowe?
I can only troll for one player at a time, friend. That and I recently read an article about Spencer's character.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
theogt;1447722 said:
I can only troll for one player at a time, friend. That and I recently read an article about Spencer's character.
Share it.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
theogt;1447722 said:

Its cool.

I'll take Spencer.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hostile;1447724 said:
Share it.
I tried to find it just now, but I'm actually supposed to be attempting to be working right now. :eek:: Maybe later.

Reaction score
Justin Blalock: The guard/tackle was an unquestioned team leader for Mack Brown's Longhorns the last four years.

Blalock has the all-time UT record for consecutive starts and his play and work ethic helped him become team captain last season.

Brown has raved about how easy it is for Blalock to pick up the game with his smarts.

Blalock tells us that he is being looked at as both a guard and right tackle.
He says one of his favorite meetings was with Eric Mangini, where he was peppered with cerebral type tests.

Blalock visited the Ravens and Commanders this week. The Jets, Bears, Cardinals, and Browns could be calling for this late first-, early second-round pick.

Can someone enlighten me on the track record of UT Olinemen? I've read before that there is a horrible amount of busts involved with them, but I'm not sure if that was just at the LT position or what. I'm not ripping on UT, but just want to know what the story is.

thanks