Foxsports: Jerry Jones thinks AFL would do well in the UK

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They’re successful businessmen in pigskin and pizza respectively, but Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Papa John’s President/CEO Nigel Travis share the same belief of how football’s popularity can grow in the United Kingdom.

And it isn’t necessarily through the NFL.

"Arena football could be the way," said the British-born Travis, who now lives in Louisville, Ky. "You need the right product and it takes a long time to do anything, but I think it would build over time."

Like Travis, Jones touted the merits of that gridiron hybrid while attending a global sports economics conference in London preceding Sunday’s New York Giants-Miami Dolphins game. Jones owns the Dallas Desperados of the Arena Football League.

Said Jones: "There are fewer players. There are much less economics involved. You can play in indoor arenas. But you can still get some of the skills of football [like] blocking, tackling and throwing."

Now entering its 20th season, the AFL is still trying to grow beyond being a niche entity in the U.S. The same can be said of the NFL in the United Kingdom. An AFL expansion into Great Britain – which, along with markets in Mexico and Canada, is being discussed internally – could find a receptive audience, especially in the NFL’s offseason. It also would further football’s grass-roots movement in England.

“It’s conceivable that the AFL could be the world's only trans-Atlantic league within the next five years,” an AFL spokesman said.

Jones has an even larger view of arena football’s potential future.

"I’m involved with an arena team for one reason and one reason only," he said. "I thought that it had a chance to be an Olympic event."

Sure that sounds far-fetched. But 10 years ago, who could have imagined the NFL playing a regular-season game overseas?

--Don’t be surprised if the NFL returns to London next year with San Francisco as one of the participants. Like the Dan Marino-led Dolphins, the 49ers are popular because the league began airing on British television in the mid-1980s during Joe Montana’s heyday. Sky Sports even aired Sunday’s San Francisco-New Orleans game following the Giants’ 13-10 victory.
Should the NFL again cross the pond, one area that must be addressed is Wembley Stadium’s field condition. The turf, which is groomed for soccer, came up in divots during Sunday’s rain and helped lead to a sloppy game.

"The footing contributed to the inability to make plays on either side," Giants coach Tom Coughlin said Monday. "It’s too bad."

--The potential of an NFL expansion franchise in London was bandied about last week, but Jones doesn’t buy it.

"I see no sentiment for expanded franchises in the NFL. None," Jones said. "We aren’t even considering it for Los Angeles. I don’t see that. But as you look down the road and some of the possibilities, playing a regular-season game -- a meaningful game toward getting to the Super Bowl -- I think that’s the way we’re doing it to create interest from time to time."

--Playing in London helped a Scotsman. Coughlin said he is sticking with Scottish-born kicker Lawrence Tynes, who connected on one of two field goals and an extra point Sunday. Tynes entered on the hot seat, but Coughlin isn’t inclined to make a change after New York’s 6-2 start.

--Attending NFL games in the U.S. gets pricier each year, but they’re still a bargain compared to Sunday’s contest at Wembley. Besides individual tickets priced between $90 and $180, concessions included $10 cheeseburgers, $14 fish-and-chips and large sodas for $5.80. For the average fan, that doesn’t leave much left to purchase $7 pints of ale.

LINK

jchocolate82

Reaction score
I totally agree with this. The AFL is the way to go internationally its a lot cheaper to set up a team and Like Jones said is the only way american football will ever sniff its way into the Olympics

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
I think Jerry has a point, if the Brits were less enthused w/ the lack of continuous football action between the 'phins and Giants, they'll get it in abundance watching AFL football, they'll surely get their fill of scoring

of course they would need to build indoor stadiums, cuz that style of play won't work on the types of fields the 'phins and Giants had to play on yesterday

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
I really don't care about the AFL or entertaining the Euro's! All in all just keep the NFL stateside, please! Does absolutely EVERYTHING have to go freakin' global. "Global" is becoming a curse word in my vocabulary, well in alot of cases. I'm not against everything global, I don't think.

Hailmary

Reaction score
Screw the afl, nfle, the canadian league. What I want to see is the nfl to double the number of rounds in the draft and institute a minor league system.

This will help develop qbs, players changing positions, palyers coming off injuries, & encourage trades.

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
A minor league system simply isn't condusive to the sports of pro football. Sure you have your exceptions (Warren Moons and Kurt Warners of the world) who play in another league and transition to the NFL, but the average NFL career is simply too short and the likelihood of injury too high.

Think of all the promising college players that washout on account of injury, and that's when the human male is at his physical peak as far as healing goes. If you instituted a minor league system, it would just get worse.

It works for baseball because you can play 'til you're 40. IIRC the majority of NFL players don't make it to 30, and they don't start until 21 or 22.