Foxsports power rankings are a joke

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5087100

Check out the rankings on the above link. They still have the Cowboys behind the Giants and the Deadskins. The Cowboys actually dropped 3 spots after beating Philly at Philly.

Falcons and Bucs at 19 and 20 behind the Packers???!!

The Jaguars at 2?

What a waste of cyberspace!

Jimz31

The Sarcastic One
Reaction score
HowAboutThemCowboys said:

Check out the rankings on the above link. They still have the Cowboys behind the Giants and the Deadskins. The Cowboys actually dropped 3 spots after beating Philly at Philly.

The Jaguars at 2?

While we should be aheaad of the Giants and Washington, we did play like crap for virtually the entire game.

Honestly though, I don't care much about these things.

playit12

Reaction score

The Jaguars at 2?

Actually I was going to see if there was an error in Aaron's calculations this week. It has Washinton with a non-adjusted DVOA of -1.6% (really bad) and Dallas with a non-adjusted of 20.6% (really good). However the adjusted values are done by opponents strength. This would make sense for instance if we played the 31rst hardest schedule while they had the 1rst hardest. But according to his numbers our schedule to date has our past schedule at 15th and theirs at 12th. So I think there might be an error somewhere.

We did lose some serious points this weekend though. The Eagles had much more success on a per play basis then our offense did. Also defensive TDs are not really counted in his system (as they are not predictive of future performance). So a team that sustains a 17 play drive gets more points than a team that goes three and out 2 times then gets a 50 yard TD pass or something.

I know people don't like the results, but history tells us that teams that can sustain drives are generally more successful over the course of a season.

playit12

Reaction score
One more thing.. Fox doesn't just pull numbers out of the air. You aren't being forced to impress votes (ala Coaches Poll). It's a play by play calculation. Play better football than the teams you are up against and you'll move up.

Also FO does rank out Defense as the #3 Defense in the league. Got to like that.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
They said their factors are by the play by play analysis, rather than actual results. By that regard, it puzzled me how NYG and Washington were ranked higher than us, being as though, play by play, we outplayed them. Seattle too. Then again, Fox Sprts can kiss off, this is all that matters to me...1st in the NFC East.

playit12

Reaction score
Billy Bullocks said:
They said their factors are by the play by play analysis, rather than actual results. By that regard, it puzzled me how NYG and Washington were ranked higher than us, being as though, play by play, we outplayed them. Seattle too. Then again, Fox Sprts can kiss off, this is all that matters to me...1st in the NFC East.

We were ranked higher in the games that we played them. But it's cumlative over the season. And things like letting SF march over us really hurt our stats. Sure Washington lost a lot in their loss to NYG and in the win against us... but we lost in our win to Philly and in our win against the worst team in the league (SF).

Washinton also was helped by schedule. One thing that the stats don't reflect is changes in opponents from week to week. I'll explain...

SF started a rookie QB for the first time against the Skins, so that team was simply not as good as the team that played us. But they are still ranked as the same team. The same is true for Chicago... they started an inexperienced QB against the Skins as well. Now Chicago is much better and that win looks impressive.

They've discussed the problem before, but it just wouldn't be possible to fix that error. In the end the best teams end up on top anyway.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
this guy is an idiot...isnt he the same guy that picked baltimore to win AFC north and one other thing in midseason picks? or was it somebody else b/c they seem to be on the same level of genius

Cowchips

Reaction score
All you need to know is that this system ranks Indy 6th or 7th with a perfect record, so they override it and give them the #1 ranking.

A stat driven system is for losers.

playit12

Reaction score
Cowchips said:
All you need to know is that this system ranks Indy 6th or 7th with a perfect record, so they override it and give them the #1 ranking.

A stat driven system is for losers.

Yeah that was compliments of a single team playing the 31rst and 32nd ranked teams in the league for a total of 3 games out of 9. And not just that, but they are well below the rest of the league, and this is not just a placement scale but a value placement scale.

Seriously though... who has Indy actually played?

playit12

Reaction score
big_neil said:
Tampa beat Washington and went down, and Washington went up!

That's easy enough to explain. The Game itself was pretty much a wash. The important thing was schedule strength.

Tampa before this week had the 32nd hardest schedule to date. By a long ways. But teams they have played went 5-3 this week and their SOS went up to 30th.

Washingtons went from 6th hardest to 12th hardest, because of what the teams they have played did.

One of the problems with human systems is "inertia". We get in our mind that a team can't go up or down based on the previous wins, even as we get more information on the teams that they played.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Using this system to rank teams is akin to picking the top players by fantasy football performance. Idiotic.

JDSmith

Reaction score
These rankings are the ultimate in pencil pushing. It's what would happen if accountants were responsible for ranking teams. Individual plays count, but final results don't... sure, that makes sense. If you are a bean counter. If you are a football fan you tend to think that the teams who win are doing something right. I'll take our 6 - 3 record, and first place in the NFCE, over a high ranking from some numbers crunchers who have us as the third best team in our division. I know they call the DVOA system innovative, I think it's just a crock.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

The Jaguars at 2?

So let's post it here and take up more cyberspace. ;)

DragonSoul

Reaction score
actually those are prob the best power rankings, they go by forumlas not ppls opinions... Dont hate.