FoxSports Roundtable: How did the 'boys lose to the Commanders?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CZAR: "Everyone has been calling the Cowboys the best team in football. So how did they lose at home to the Commanders?"

JJ: "Even Wade Phillips admitted that they didn't run Marion Barber and Felix Jones enough. Jones didn't even see the field. I think Wade was insinuating that by not running Barber enough they really might have been forcing the ball too much to Terrell Owens. In my opinion, Barber sets up this entire offense. The other thing is that I think the Cowboys still have some problems defensively. They didn't make some plays in the secondary."

TB: "I like that the Cowboys are keeping Pacman in check off the field. Pacman has to understand that there is only one reason why they are telling him he can't do certain things at night. They are paying him millions and they want to protect their investment. And by doing so, they are also protecting him from himself."

JJ: "Even Ricky Williams admitted that he had an urge to smoke right before the bye week, but back to football. What happened to the Cowboys against Washington is that when you win so many games easily, teams get carried away with how good they are and they forget how they are going to have to play against a team that is as talented as they are."

TB: "It's Wade talking about Jason Garrett. It's like what Jimmy has always said, you win games by running and you score points by passing. They could not stop Washington last Sunday and a little bit of panic came in and tried to score with Washington. Sometimes, I think their mindset is 80 percent throw the ball; 20 percent run it. I have to think that Jason learned a pretty good lesson. The other thing I noticed was that T.O. was a little slow getting out of his breaks. He got no separation from Shawn Springs."

JJ: "Springs ate him up."

TB: "He looked like he was top-heavy and just didn't look good. He just didn't look quick. By top-heavy, I mean he struggled to balance himself and get his body under control coming out of his break. And because of that, he was late getting his hands up. The ball was on him and he couldn't get up there to catch the ball."

MS: "I agree that T.O. is extremely physical and hard to handle one-on-one, but Springs is one of the most physical cornerbacks in the league and strong enough to compete with him. Springs was beating him up. But you can't get most DBs to get up on him and beat him like that. On other side, in the Philly game and the Commanders game, how many receivers were wide open against the Cowboys? A lot. They have a lot of issues to still work out that could be really important at the end of the season."

JJ: "It won't come to light for another few weeks because they play Cincinnati, Arizona and St. Louis the next three weeks."

CZAR: "What were your impressions of the Al Davis press conference when he called Lane Kiffin a liar?"

Jimmy Johnson: "He is definitely building a case against Kiffin not to pay him. What he owes him, say it is $2.6 million, is just a drop in the bucket to what he paid all those free agents he signed. Sounds like Al is digging his heels in and not going to pay him."

Terry Bradshaw: "Well, I wish Kiffin all the best. I hope he has good attorneys. The league already knows that Al does."

JJ: "As far back as I can remember (Raiders executive) Amy Trask always sat with Al at all the league meetings. He has always had the best of attorneys at his side at all times. I have to assume that he has this thing legally covered with Kiffin. But he's not paying him because he wants a chance to stick it to him."

Michael Strahan: "My problem is that he's always doing something like this. He didn't pay Mike Shanahan everything he owed him after he fired him. But he's been going through coaches quite a bit lately, but the one common denominator in all this is Al Davis."

JJ: "The one thing I did like in his comments was that he said he might have been a little hasty in getting rid of Norv Turner. Outside of that, I don't see how Al changes. I think this franchise will continue to tread water like they have since losing the Super Bowl to the Bucs. I don't see them getting any better."

Curt Menefee: "Do the minority owners here have any rights with how Al runs the Raiders?"

JJ: "I think it is written that he has total control over everything."

TB: "How many strikes does Al get in this thing? It's not going to change up there as long as Al is in charge. I am not surprised by this. I don't pay any attention to the Raiders, which I think is the biggest insult I can give anybody. I've lost total confidence in the Raiders. But I am curious to see what he does this time for a head coach. The point that everybody makes is that nobody really good wants to work for him."

MS: "I bet that Jim Fassel would take that job in a heartbeat."

CZAR: "Any quick thoughts on Commanders coach Jim Zorn and how he's won three straight?"

TB: "He may be exactly what that team needed. I know Jimmy was totally different and Michael's coach, Tom Coughlin, is totally different from Zorn. My coach was totally different. We all think we have an outline of what a great NFL coach should be and I bet Zorn would probably miss on eight of the 10 things we would say makes a great head coach."

JJ: "Hold on, now. He's been a quick learner. But they've only played four games, too. I have noticed that as he gets better so does Jason Campbell."

TB: "I am not surprised about Campbell's success. I have always liked him. He looks like he loves this offense right now. Maybe Zorn has given him a quiet confidence because he's really playing with a lot of confidence and lots of poise. He's been making great decisions with the ball. Zorn must be a smart coach because he must have recognized what Jason does well and he's sticking with that. They look to be a good fit. Campbell is a deeply religious kid and Zorn is, too. They beat a good football team on the road and that says a lot to me."

CM: "Everyone has talked about all the coordinators Jason has had to deal with through his career, but he told me this summer that he played his senior year at Auburn in a West Coast offense. This is similar to what he ran and maybe that is helping him out this season."

CZAR: "The unbeaten Giants are back off their bye week. Will they pick up where they left off?"

MS: "I know Cincinnati gave the Giants a run for their money, but it's never been about talent with this team. It's always been about focus. I believe they had some problems with some D-linemen being sick or not 100 percent in that last game. But those guys need to understand that even when you are tired or hurting, that you need to suck it up and play. It's so important that your teammates see you out there with them when you are not 100 percent physically. The other thing with the Giants is to see how Eli Manning plays this season and whether or not he remains consistent like he did in the playoffs last season. Eli has had a history of being up and down. Seattle has been disappointing to me and they've been a hard team to get excited about. I know they have had a lot of injuries and they have to rebound from that."

JJ: "I think this is a crucial game for Seattle. They got the hell beat out of them by Buffalo and they've lost to San Francisco. I know they haven't had their receivers, but Matt Hasselbeck hasn't played that well. They have won the NFC West in the past because the rest of the division has been so weak, but that doesn't seem to be the case this year with both Arizona and the 49ers improving."

TB: "I hear that Bobby Engram is practicing again and that Deion Branch is ready to go after missing all of camp and last month."

MS: "If they play like it's a desperate game, the Seahawks have a great chance of winning. I'm sure the Giant players know who the Seahawks have lost to and I'm sure they are telling themselves, 'There is no way they should beat us.' I think that's the only way Seattle can win; is come out with that fire."

CM: "I know the schedule really favors the Giants. I mean, they have a chance to open the season 6-0 if they can win this game."

JJ: "The other thing to remember is that Plaxico Burress won't be playing on Sunday. They are going to have to rely more on Steve Smith and (Domenik) Hixon."

MS: "It's a big loss for that offense. I do believe when he comes back, he's going to work and play hard. I'm not worried about Plax. He's not going to come back and dog it."

CZAR: "The Bucs visit Denver and now Mike Shanahan is talking about running it more on offense. What gives with that and will Jon Gruden ever play Jeff Garcia again?"

JJ: "Shanahan is saying that to protect that horrible defense that is giving up over 400 yards a game. That's no knock on Jay Cutler. The Broncos are 3-1 while giving up 117 points in four games."

TB: "I bet you that Garcia is a little bit of a quarterback diva and that's why Gruden isn't playing him."

CM: "And he can be a whiner, too."

TB: "Gruden may appreciate what Garcia did for this team last season, but I'm sure he can't stand him. The other thing, with Brian Griese in there, he knows he has a quarterback that he can control. He also knows that Griese is good enough that his offense can get it done. He knows that Griese, too, is never going to shoot off his mouth."

CM: "Rich Gannon was the only quarterback Gruden had a lot of success with, but Gannon didn't care about the media and a lot of other things. But he was good with his coach. Griese tolerates the media and he's good with Gruden."

JJ: "Terry, you'll like this. Garcia has a higher quarterback rating than Griese, too."
CM: "OK, we may not like a lot about Griese, but he is 3-0 and he can take hits. He is durable. And we all know that Garcia always gets hurts and never makes it through a season."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8634862/FOX-NFL-Sunday-Roundtable:-Week-5

superpunk

Reaction score
CZAR: "Everyone has been calling the Cowboys the best team in football. So how did they lose at home to the Commanders?"

TB: "I like that the Cowboys are keeping Pacman in check off the field. Pacman has to understand that there is only one reason why they are telling him he can't do certain things at night. They are paying him millions and they want to protect their investment. And by doing so, they are also protecting him from himself."

JJ: "Even Ricky Williams admitted that he had an urge to smoke right before the bye week, but back to football.

Talk about your tangents. :rolleyes:

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
superpunk;2305685 said:
Talk about your tangents. :rolleyes:

made perfect sense to me!!!!!!!!!!!

I get the feeling strahan wanted to flat out say our secondary stinks and has for awhile.

I am not so sure I disagree with him.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Man they ganged up on Garcia. Must be a little whiner. I've always liked Griese. Glad to see him playing and doing well.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2305682 said:
CZAR: "The unbeaten Giants are back off their bye week. Will they pick up where they left off?"

MS: "I know Cincinnati gave the Giants a run for their money, but it's never been about talent with this team. It's always been about focus. I believe they had some problems with some D-linemen being sick or not 100 percent in that last game. But those guys need to understand that even when you are tired or hurting, that you need to suck it up and play. It's so important that your teammates see you out there with them when you are not 100 percent physically. The other thing with the Giants is to see how Eli Manning plays this season and whether or not he remains consistent like he did in the playoffs last season. Eli has had a history of being up and down. Seattle has been disappointing to me and they've been a hard team to get excited about. I know they have had a lot of injuries and they have to rebound from that."
The homer in Strahan is as obvious as his gap, but I agree with him about the Giants' focus outweighing their talent. On paper, New York should have lost in Dallas last January and they should have lost to the Bengals this season with the injuries they have sustained.

However, they strung together a winning streak in the postseason and one to start this season too. They have done what they had to when it mattered most and that's play good, sound football. It is funny how he still doesn't have a lot of confidence in Eli Manning after winning a Super Bowl with him, though.