News: Frederick's shotgun snaps already impress Romo with their heat

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
-- Carlos Mendez

Tony Romo and Travis Frederick got to practice together for the first time Sunday, and Romo learned something.

Frederick can zing a shotgun snap pretty good.

“He’s got a lot of heat on it,” Romo said. “He can almost throw it down, whereas a lot of people, you want it to get back there a little quicker. I tell him we’ve just got to get it to where it’s comfortable so it doesn’t come back too much. But that’s a better problem than the other way.”

Frederick said he has to get used to doing more long-snapping than he did at Wisconsin, but that he will.

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...press-romo-with-their-heat.html#storylink=cpy

ologan

Reaction score
Looks like he can provide not only an extra split second by his blocking, but also an extra split second by his snap. Dividends, dividends, dividends!!!!!

Reaction score
Man, compared to some of those lobs provided by Costa, I'm sure Romo is counting his blessings.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Man, compared to some of those lobs provided by Costa, I'm sure Romo is counting his blessings.
Hahaha. Yeah it has looked to me for a long time that romo is always waiting for the snap to slowly float back to him

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Don't forget Gurode and his lollipops. Seems like Romo has never had anyone who was consistently good a snapping the football.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Don't forget Gurode and his lollipops. Seems like Romo has never had anyone who was consistently good a snapping the football.

God that was just painful to watch. Gurode was an above average center but he just could not figure out that shotgun snap.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score

Interesting thing to me is Romo kinda actually says its coming back there too quickly, if I read that right. If we really are about getting these plays started quicker with the wristbands and such, Romo will have to make the adjustment to actually having a real center who can get the ball back there.

Hopefully Romo doesn't tell him to 'not let it come back too much', and he gets used to having the snaps on him quicker. I will say this though, while some are saying the best 5 on the OL and I kinda agree with that, this snapping issue alone puts me alot more on the side of Fred starting at center regardless cause Costa sucks at it.

Moderately_Askew

Heelsboy
Reaction score
Well that makes me happy Frederick is already making a name for himself in a good way. I have said I would like the 5 best out there, but if Romo is more comfortable having Frederick out there then I am all for it.​

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
I agree but honestly how hard can it be. It seems like such a natural athletic move. I guess it's like NBA players who throw a first pitch into the ground and embarrass themselves .

DFWJC

Reaction score

Got that right. I thought I saw Romo throw up the fair catch signal a couple of times in the past.

superpunk

Reaction score
I agree but honestly how hard can it be. It seems like such a natural athletic move. I guess it's like NBA players who throw a first pitch into the ground and embarrass themselves .
go home and put a target 3-5 yards behind you and try to hit it by zipping a football between your legs....while not looking at it.

Then do that while millions of people watch you and Geno Atkins is 6 inches from your face waiting for you to move that ball.

bonus points if you coat the ball in mud, water and grass.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Sounds good, I hope the powerful shotgun snaps won't lead to bobbled fumbles though.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Give a starving man a flank steak, and you'll have a heck of a time convincing him he ain't eating porterhouse!

On a serious note, it's nice to have a real center. I think I'd still love to see Frederick at guard, but as long as we have the best 5 out, that's the best you can hope for - for now. I'm still not sure if our "Top 5" equals a good offensive line.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
It's been awhile since Romo played behind a legitimate NFL center.

So four walkthroughs in and Frederick is already legit? Even though practice reports say interior is getting killed, that all the 1 and 2 OL are spending too much time on the ground and Broaddus wrote that Frederick has had some trouble getting out in front of screens?

This must be a new Risen Star, one that doesn't actually make players earn their job on the field.