CFZ Free agency in a week

Sandyf

Reaction score
This next 7 days should be interesting for the Cowboys not including the is she or is she not Jerry's daughter. It will in many ways define what the Cowboys will do or have to do in the draft as free agency is where you fill holes so you don't have to draft a certain position.

The Cooper drama no matter which side you fall on will come to a conclusion pretty fast I believe, well before his March 20th guarantee on salary. He could be released, traded and in the upsets or upsets his contract could be restructured. If rumors are correct about a Gallup deal being near done and a Kearse deal being the same then before the 16th at 4pm EST, the Cowboys will either have to restructure other contracts or make a decision on Cooper.

We also have the Demarcus Lawrence saga which at some point in free agency will come about to a decision. That decision will most likely be made if Gregory/Armstrong is resigned and if Dallas strikes a deal with a couple free agents such as Dante Fowler, Jr. and Solomon Thomas as both would be smaller deals.

I believe that the Jones get the contracts done with Gallup, Gregory, Kearse and a couple of other lesser of our free agents like Urban, Watkins and maybe Kazee or Hooker before the start of free agency. Then these are the guys I believe they will attempt to sign.

Dante Fowler, Jr DE - a Quinn favorite and should compliment Gregory or Armstrong on the left side.

Solomon Thomas DE - this would be a surprise to me but entirely possible if they are moving on from Lawrence.

JuJu Smith-Schulter WR - he needs a one year deal to prove himself and has been working out with Lamb and Dak which leads one to believe if there is smoke there could be fire. Again a one year deal or something close to it.

O.J. Howard TE - former 1st round that needs a change of scenery, a Jerry special and maybe just maybe a great signing and probably a 3 year deal. Expect Jarwin to be cut soon.

Will Hernandez LG - many fans will not like because of his stats last year at RG but the previous years at LG where far better. If the draft doesn't go the way we want, then he works the best at not having to reach in the draft.

Justin Reid S/Deshon Elliott S - if we aren't able to resign Kazee or Hooker or even Kearse, one or both make a lot of sense, heck even Marcus Maye could make sense but Jones' aren't going to spend a lot on safety as we all know.

LB - to many names to consider from Wagner, Hicks, Jewell, Johnson, etc. It will come down to what Quinn wants and most likely the biggest ticket item in free agency.

I would look for Anthony Brown and Jordan Lewis to both be traded as their value is high after last year and after about the first 5/6 in the draft they are just as good as the rest and teams always looking for CB. That and the fact that rumors persist that Joseph is ready to start and Quinn really likes what Robinson and Wright are doing says we probably ride with the young guys.

It would take restructures of Collins and one or two others plus getting a deal done with Schultz to lower his cap number this year but should be easily done. Then I think they designate Lawrence as a June 1st cut. That would save us $19 million under the cap which would pay for the draft choices and give them operating money for 2022 and also would free up $21 million on the 2023 cap. A Cooper trade or cut before June 1st frees up $16 million in cap space for 2022 and $18 million in cap space for 2023. The project cap for 2023 is above $238 million of which as it stands with Lawrence and Cooper with would have at $226 million and $190 million without them. Those number don't include resigning this year or draft picks or free agents that get more than 1 year deals.

Those above would help in 2022 and possibly in 2023 and beyond but what it does is let the draft play out without reaching and makes hopefully getting an impact player or two or three easier. None of us know who will be there at #24 or #56 or #88 and everytime we do a mock draft there will always those who believe that this guy or that guy won't be there. If we trust McClay which seems so far a good thing then we get an impact guy or two. Maybe a guy that falls that no one believes would happen because we all know some guys that probably shouldn't go first round will go first round like name any QB in this draft. Free agency will play a big part in the draft whether we believe it or not.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I expect a JAG or 2 or 3 later in the FA season. Stephen needs to count his money.

There's a sliver of hope this year that Jerry might want to "make a splash" and change the headlines.

Unfortunately, whether such a move would actually improve the team would be of lesser importance.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
TLDR.

We already know what to expect from the Jones'. They like their guys, so they'll be bargain bin shopping in free agency.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
JuJu's stats really surprise me. When you say the name, I'm thinking that guy has been great so far. Nope, 1 great year, 2 average years, 2 poor years.
I guess if his name was John Smith, I'd never think twice about him.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
This next 7 days should be interesting for the Cowboys not including the is she or is she not Jerry's daughter. It will in many ways define what the Cowboys will do or have to do in the draft as free agency is where you fill holes so you don't have to draft a certain position.

The Cooper drama no matter which side you fall on will come to a conclusion pretty fast I believe, well before his March 20th guarantee on salary. He could be released, traded and in the upsets or upsets his contract could be restructured. If rumors are correct about a Gallup deal being near done and a Kearse deal being the same then before the 16th at 4pm EST, the Cowboys will either have to restructure other contracts or make a decision on Cooper.

We also have the Demarcus Lawrence saga which at some point in free agency will come about to a decision. That decision will most likely be made if Gregory/Armstrong is resigned and if Dallas strikes a deal with a couple free agents such as Dante Fowler, Jr. and Solomon Thomas as both would be smaller deals.

I believe that the Jones get the contracts done with Gallup, Gregory, Kearse and a couple of other lesser of our free agents like Urban, Watkins and maybe Kazee or Hooker before the start of free agency. Then these are the guys I believe they will attempt to sign.

Dante Fowler, Jr DE - a Quinn favorite and should compliment Gregory or Armstrong on the left side.

Solomon Thomas DE - this would be a surprise to me but entirely possible if they are moving on from Lawrence.

JuJu Smith-Schulter WR - he needs a one year deal to prove himself and has been working out with Lamb and Dak which leads one to believe if there is smoke there could be fire. Again a one year deal or something close to it.

O.J. Howard TE - former 1st round that needs a change of scenery, a Jerry special and maybe just maybe a great signing and probably a 3 year deal. Expect Jarwin to be cut soon.

Will Hernandez LG - many fans will not like because of his stats last year at RG but the previous years at LG where far better. If the draft doesn't go the way we want, then he works the best at not having to reach in the draft.

Justin Reid S/Deshon Elliott S - if we aren't able to resign Kazee or Hooker or even Kearse, one or both make a lot of sense, heck even Marcus Maye could make sense but Jones' aren't going to spend a lot on safety as we all know.

LB - to many names to consider from Wagner, Hicks, Jewell, Johnson, etc. It will come down to what Quinn wants and most likely the biggest ticket item in free agency.

I would look for Anthony Brown and Jordan Lewis to both be traded as their value is high after last year and after about the first 5/6 in the draft they are just as good as the rest and teams always looking for CB. That and the fact that rumors persist that Joseph is ready to start and Quinn really likes what Robinson and Wright are doing says we probably ride with the young guys.

It would take restructures of Collins and one or two others plus getting a deal done with Schultz to lower his cap number this year but should be easily done. Then I think they designate Lawrence as a June 1st cut. That would save us $19 million under the cap which would pay for the draft choices and give them operating money for 2022 and also would free up $21 million on the 2023 cap. A Cooper trade or cut before June 1st frees up $16 million in cap space for 2022 and $18 million in cap space for 2023. The project cap for 2023 is above $238 million of which as it stands with Lawrence and Cooper with would have at $226 million and $190 million without them. Those number don't include resigning this year or draft picks or free agents that get more than 1 year deals.

Those above would help in 2022 and possibly in 2023 and beyond but what it does is let the draft play out without reaching and makes hopefully getting an impact player or two or three easier. None of us know who will be there at #24 or #56 or #88 and everytime we do a mock draft there will always those who believe that this guy or that guy won't be there. If we trust McClay which seems so far a good thing then we get an impact guy or two. Maybe a guy that falls that no one believes would happen because we all know some guys that probably shouldn't go first round will go first round like name any QB in this draft. Free agency will play a big part in the draft whether we believe it or not.

Ill keep it G. I did not read this. Way too long. But free agency for us doesnt start until week 2 when bargain bin shopping starts and the annual jones family vacation ends

jujoboys

Reaction score
TLDR.

We already know what to expect from the Jones'. They like their guys, so they'll be bargain bin shopping in free agency.

Currently they aren't even liking their guys enough to sign them. In fact it sounds as if they would like to cut or trade a lot of their guys. This has been a weird and frustrating offseason so far.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Ill keep it G. I did not read this. Way too long. But free agency for us doesnt start until week 2 when bargain bin shopping starts and the annual jones family vacation ends

Actually its AFTER bargain bin shopping ends and what does not get sold is tossed into the dumpster out back.....then Stephen looks at Jerry and shouts, "It's GO TIME BABY".. :dance:

Havic

Reaction score
By the looks of it, we are going to need a lot of help on The O-line, DE, LB, and WR

Carson

Reaction score
By the looks of it, we are going to need a lot of help on The O-line, DE, LB, and WR
I would say we need 1 guy at those spots as starters. It’s all depth beyond that

jblaze2004

Reaction score
I don't expect the Cowboys to be players in FA. We love to overpay for our guys and search the bargain bin. Heck will be lucky if any FA we sign does anything to help our team.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
So.....heading into FA, this is who is under contract

QB - Dak, Rush, Grier, DiNucci
RB - Zeke, Pollard, Dowdle, I. Smith, Hardy
FB - Olonilua
TE - Schultz, JARWIN, McKeon, Ralston, Bunting
OL - Smith, Martin, L. COLLINS, Biadasz, Steele, McGovern, Ball, Farniok, B. Jones, Alarcon, A. Collins
WR - COOPER, Lamb, N. Brown, Foster, Fehoko, Vasher, B. Smith
P - Niswander
K - Zeurlein, Naggar
LS -

DE - LAWRENCE, Basham, Golston
DT - Odiggy, Gallimore, Hill, Bohanna, Bronson, Faoliu
LB - Parsons, Cox, Bond
CB - Diggs, Brown, Joseph, Lewis, Wright, Robinson, Coyle, K. Brown
S - WIlson, Mukuamu, Goodwin,

Jarwin is a possible injury cut. Cooper is a likely trade or cut. Collins is on the trade block, Lawrence is a likely cut. Take those 4 out and the WR group is noticeably weaker than a year ago with only one legitimate starter. OL is weaker and a big hole. DE doesn't have a starter. LB only has one starter and a guy coming off a knee injury. Safety has one borderline starter.

FA we are supposedly trying to resign: Gallup, Kearse, Gregory (no news on him so far).

FA we should be trying to keep: Anger (was huge in field position game), C. Wilson, M. Turner, Armstrong

For next year, we are looking at possible comp picks for C. Williams, Vander Esch, C. Wilson if we don't resign, Kearse if we don't resign, Armstrong if we don't resign. No one else is likely to be in consideration.

Cap Space....according to OTC, we are $1m over the cap after redoing Dak and Martin's deals and including the franchise tag for Schultz. We likely pick up $16m on Cooper's deal. We likely pick up 8m on Lawrence cut. Could pick up $4m if Jarwin is cut. The only other likely addition to the cap is 2.5m if we cut Zeurlein. So we could possibly have 30.5 million to pursue FA, including our own. Still have to take about 4-5 m out of that to cover the rookie pool. so down to somewhere around 25-26m. If we sign the three that have been talked about we are likely to have less than 10m in cap space to spend. The only other contracts that are possible to make significant adjustments to are T. Smith(8m), Elliott(9m), and L. Collins(6m). Restructuring all of them could bring $23m, but these are pretty much last choice moves. Cutting A. Brown would add 5m.

Possible picks or players - Cooper trade could bring either/or. Collins trade could bring either/or. We are expected to pick up one comp pick, a 5th rounder for Andy Dalton. We have a pick in all 7 rounds as it stands.

All in all, it looks like there are too many holes to fill in the draft...if you are lucky enough to get 2 or 3 starters at most you have to feel fortunate. We do have big holes at OG, DE, LB, S and possibly WR and several of these are deep in the draft but can't really expect to fill all the holes. It looks like Dallas will struggle to be over .500 this year. Of course, our division could be won by a team under .500. GO COWBOYS!!!

Carson

Reaction score
WILL HERNANDEZ HELL YEAH GET HIM he's nasty he punked us
Two things you cannot talk about on this board

Signing Will Hernandez and Schultz being a good TE despite his inability to block.

You will get hate replies