If player that people have claimed is a lock, it would be something like this:

9 OL
7 WR
4 TE
4 RB
11 DB
11 DL
7 LB

Probably have to cut 5 to 7 of the following; although suspensions will open up some spots for a few weeks.

Noah Brown
Andy Jones

Frazier
White
Woods - Looked like a lock in Rams game.
Carroll - 3M guaranteed

Swaim
Hanna

Bell
Cleary
Green
Cooper

Neal

Smith - RB
Hillman

gmoney112

Reaction score
Frazier, Woods, Carroll, Hanna, and Swaim aren't fringe players. They're all locks right now, unless Hanna just looks terrible after his injury.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Is this assuming Blanton will be cut?

I think you have to keep all 3 of the young DBs. Carroll is guaranteed so you might have to keep him too.

I say you cut Hillman and then cut RB Smith when Zeke comes back. That's 2.

Bell looks to be the obvious cut on the OL at the moment. Unfortunate because he put a lot of work in losing weight, but I don't see us giving up on Green despite how unreliable he is. Tyron's injury concerns might make Cleary a must-keep.

Might have to cut both of those WRs. Might have to cut one of those TEs since Rico looks like a lock. I'd say cut Hanna if he shows any signs of not staying healthy, otherwise cut Swaim.

Neal looked decent as backup 3-tech, but might not be good enough to stay on the roster considering all the young guys with higher ceilings. Might keep Neal until Irving comes back and then cut him.

Now:

Cut 1) Hillman, 2) Bell, 3) Hanna or Swaim, 4), Brown, 5) Jones.

When Zeke comes back cut 6) Smith.

When Irving comes back cut 7) Neal.

Kaiser

Reaction score
I'm assuming Conner Rush is the 53rd guy right now. I would keep Rod Smith as the FB/4th RB.

Cut and signed to the Practice Squad would be Andy Jones, Noah Brown, Ivie, and Nzeocha. Keith Smith and Blanton are cut outright.

For the suspension slots of Irving and Moore I would keep Lewis Neal and Marquez White (I think they can cover a lot of DT snaps with guys like Taco and Crawford playing inside).

Bigdog

Reaction score
That Prescott fellow is definitely a fringe player. I have not seen him take a snap all pre season. He must not be good or is just a camp fodder.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is this assuming Blanton will be cut?

I think you have to keep all 3 of the young DBs. Carroll is guaranteed so you might have to keep him too.

I say you cut Hillman and then cut RB Smith when Zeke comes back. That's 2.

Bell looks to be the obvious cut on the OL at the moment. Unfortunate because he put a lot of work in losing weight, but I don't see us giving up on Green despite how unreliable he is. Tyron's injury concerns might make Cleary a must-keep.

Might have to cut both of those WRs. Might have to cut one of those TEs since Rico looks like a lock. I'd say cut Hanna if he shows any signs of not staying healthy, otherwise cut Swaim.

Neal looked decent as backup 3-tech, but might not be good enough to stay on the roster considering all the young guys with higher ceilings. Might keep Neal until Irving comes back and then cut him.

Now:

Cut 1) Hillman, 2) Bell, 3) Hanna or Swaim, 4), Brown, 5) Jones.

When Zeke comes back cut 6) Smith.

When Irving comes back cut 7) Neal.

Cooper and Green are oft injured making depth more of a concern than it might be otherwise. Cleary is not very good at LT. It might be difficult to cut Bell.

Blanton should be on the list, but all fans will say to cut him anyway.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Right now this is what I would guess the 53 on opening day will be, with suspension of Irving, Moore and Elliott confirmed at this point, and assuming suspensions for Carroll and Wilson.

QB - Prescott, Moore (2)
RB - McFadden, Morris, Smith (3) Elliott*
FB - Smith (1)
WR - Bryant, Williams, Beasley, Butler, Switzer (5)
TE - Witten, Hanna, Swaim, Gathers (4)
OL - Smith, Cooper, Frederick, Martin, Collins, Green, Bell, Looney, Cleary (9)
Spec - Bailey, Jones, LaDouche (3)

That is 27

DE - Lawrence, Crawford, Mayowa, Charlton, Tapper (5) *Moore, Irving*
DT - Thornton, Collins, Paea, Neal, Ivie (5)
LB - Lee, Hitchens, Smith, Nzeocha, Wilber, Durant, Jones (7) Wilson*
CB - Scandrick, Brown, Awuzie, Lewis, White (5) Carroll*
S - Jones, Heath, Frazier, Woods (4)

That is 26

Obviously injuries will affect this. Going to be a tough call on QB Rush if he keeps impressing. We should be fine with 3 RB and Smith at FB till Zeke gets back. I haven't seen anything from Hillman to indicate he will make it. Assuming Butler is ok, I don't see Jones or Brown making the 53. Lock for 4 TE. OL could go with 8, with Looney being the possible odd man out especially if he is injured. Apparently Cooper and Martin can play C if needed. If Looney isn't out then it could be Bell.

Defensive is where the suspensions make things interesting. We know Moore and Irving are out and that leaves a big whole given Irving's position flex. While I have him listed as a DE he will play a lot as a DT in the nickle. Crawford's injury is going to be hit or miss in regard to being available for opening day, and that again takes away a guy that can play inside or out. This is going to open up a spot for Neal and probably Ivie to start the season. LB is wide open after Lee, Hitchens and Smith. I know the team likes the veteran flexibility of Durant and Wilber. It is hard to count on Smith and Nzeocha to be healthy game in and game out at this point. Jones might get to take advantage of Wilson's suspension for a cup of coffee on the 53. Can't see us getting rid of any of the young corners. Keeping so many corners, we are probably going to have to roll with 4 safeties. Blanton is the odd man out.

As the 5 guys come back from their suspensions, I would say the guys most on the bubble would be the last OL if we keep 9. Basically would be Elliott coming in and an OL going out.

On defense, Neal, Ivie and Jones are the first on the chopping block most likely and then one of the vet LB's, especially if Jaylon shows he can stay on the field.

gmoney112

Reaction score
I'm assuming Conner Rush is the 53rd guy right now. I would keep Rod Smith as the FB/4th RB.

Cut and signed to the Practice Squad would be Andy Jones, Noah Brown, Ivie, and Nzeocha. Keith Smith and Blanton are cut outright.

For the suspension slots of Irving and Moore I would keep Lewis Neal and Marquez White (I think they can cover a lot of DT snaps with guys like Taco and Crawford playing inside).

Keith Smith is violent at FB. Nothing against Rod, but Keith is a much better FB.

I think Rod at this point is a luxury we may not be able to afford. We'll probably go with a FB and it'll be Keith. Rod's a team player but we have some other positions like DL, DB, and maybe possibly WR that we want to go long on and not risk to waivers.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Keith Smith is violent at FB. Nothing against Rod, but Keith is a much better FB.

I think Rod at this point is a luxury we may not be able to afford. We'll probably go with a FB and it'll be Keith. Rod's a team player but we have some other positions like DL, DB, and maybe possibly WR that we want to go long on and not risk to waivers.

Funny, I look at it from the opposite direction. Rod Smith can handle all the duties Keith Smith can but provides a lot more as a backup RB than Keith Smith does. Both play ST and can catch the ball, IMO Rod Smith covers all the same bases but also gives you more quality snaps at RB with the Zeke situation still unsettled.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Bubble players

QB: Rush, Moore
RB: RSmith, Morris
OT: Cleary, Skipper
G/C: Theaker, Burbank
TE: Hanna
WR: Brown, Jones
DE: Jones, Neal
DT: Carrell, Ivey, Ash
SAM: Gilchrist
LB: Jones, Durant, Wacha
S: Blanton, Woods, Frazier
CB: White, Thomas, McFadden

Verdict

Reaction score

I think Morris is toast.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Cooper and Green are oft injured making depth more of a concern than it might be otherwise. Cleary is not very good at LT. It might be difficult to cut Bell.

Blanton should be on the list, but all fans will say to cut him anyway.
Like what l've watched of Cooper though. That boy is big with decent feet.

haleyrules

Reaction score
You know what, for safety and an improved game, the league FO needs to eat a little of thier billions and increase the roster limits to at least 60. Thats fair. At least for the fan base.