From Division III to the NFL: Garcon to Shorts

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
http://www.jbscouting.com/index.php/blog/502-shorts-garcon
From Division III to the NFL: Garcon to Shorts

Garcon's path to the NFL is unexpected but it is not surprising that he is producing in the NFL and part of a winning tradition because that is all he has known since college. Most don't know that he did not start his career at Mount Union but transferred from Norwich where he was a second team All-OAC selection in 2004. He then sat out in 2005 and dominated Division III in 2006 and 2007 as a back-to-back first team All-OAC and first team All-American selection. Garcon finished with 1,212 yards and 17 touchdowns in his junior campaign while hauling in 67 catches for 955 yards and 14 touchdowns and rushing for 61 yards and two touchdowns as a senior.

Then in the 2008 NFL Draft he was the 205th overall selection in the 6th round by the Indianapolis Colts and the rest is history.

Many thought we were crazy back in 2008 when we felt that Mount Union wide out Pierre Garcon would be a NFL receiver but now that prediction looks pretty smart after the solid year he had in helping the Colts win an AFC Championship. He finished this season with 47 catches for 765 yards and four touchdowns and then led all receivers in the postseason with 21 catches for 251 yards and two touchdowns.

We are coming up on the 2010 college football season and it seems like deja vu as we look at another Mount Union receiver that could potentially make the jump to the NFL. We were fortunate to catch up with Pierre Garcon to talk about when he made the jump to the NFL, the biggest differences in D3 and the NFL, whether or not he thinks D3 is not scouted enough and his thoughts on his former teammate Cecil Shorts and why he believes he could make it at the next level.

For those fans who have not heard of Shorts, you will soon. The two-time All-American has certainly picked up where Garcon left off. He even flashed big-play potential in 2007 when he hauled in 12 catches for 289 yards and three touchdowns, averaging 24.1 yards per catch. In 2008, Shorts had the breakout season that potential NFL players must have in D3 with 77 receptions for 1,484 yards and 23 touchdowns as a sophomore. Mount Union did a cruel thing to opponents in 2009 listing Shorts as a senior while he has one more year of eligibility remaining and thus while he rushed for 208 yards and six touchdowns and caught 100 passes for 1,736 yards and 19 touchdowns a surprise was awaiting for them that Shorts would be back in 2010.

Shorts possesses some of the same qualities showing explosiveness, speed, big-play ability, and the ability to block at the next level during his career at Mount Union and there is no doubt that the NFL will be watching him in 2010. This year it is important he bulks up, improves route running, and blocking but he has the potential to continue in the path that Pierre Garcon paved for him two years ago.
Read below to see what both of them had to say!

JBS: First, Pierre thanks for taking time to chat with us!

Pierre: Thanks for having me!

JBS: What was the biggest adjustment from D3 to the NFL?

Pierre: Speed of the game and understanding of the terminology.

JBS: People talk about how big the jump is. What is the biggest physical difference in D3 and NFL players?

Pierre: D3 is under scouted. There are a lot of guys just undersized and not as athletically talented all the way around. That is part of the reason they play D3. There are some diamonds in the rough. It is all about the transition and how you make it from one league to another.

JBS: How did the Texas vs. Nation Game help you make the transition?

Pierre: It was a good jump for me and showed me the competition around me and the guys I was competing against. It was a good experience for me. It taught me how NFL corners are and helped me in being scouted and performing well every day with scouts at practices and interviewing. It was a great opportunity and experience. Thanks to Josh Buchanan and John Murphy that I played in it.

JBS: You have a lot of family in Haiti. What is the latest you have heard there?

Pierre: People are not living in the best conditions right now and doing what they can. They are surviving. I didn’t have anything crazy or tragic happen to my family. A lot of the buildings and houses are crushed so they are staying in tents and shelters. They are in the rebuilding process. They have been trying to get over here but it is a long process. They have been trying to get over here for a while and they will keep trying. It is even crazier now with the earthquake and everyone trying to get out of there.

JBS: Since you have been with the Colts have you had time to follow up on Mount Union and talk to anyone there?

Pierre: I keep up as much as I can talking to the guys on the team and coaches. I can’t really watch the games unless it is on national TV. I have not been back yet.

JBS: What do you see in Cecil Shorts that you feel he could play in the NFL and what would your advice to him be for making at in the NFL?

Pierre: Cecil is a great player and will do well. He is explosive and a take it to the house player. I have seen it all year long in him. This year he needs to work on his whole game such as routes, blocking, and work on everything to be a total package. In the league you have to start on special teams to make it so that is important as well.

JBS: Do you see yourselves as different players or similar?

Pierre: We are similar and the only thing different is that he is slimmer than me. He has the same mentality. He is very fast. He can do anything and everything on the field and score on the field.

JBS: What was the biggest reason for your increase in production this year?

Pierre: Just getting comfortable out there and knowing what is going on. Once you get comfortable you just play your regular game and go after it and let your abilities take over. Just basically from being out there.

JBS: Who is the toughest corner you have faced in the NFL?

Pierre: I don’t know. There have been a lot of tough corners.

JBS: What is the biggest difference in a college corner and NFL corner?

Pierre: Just have to be more physical with NFL corners. They have more talent and you have to read the coverage they are playing because they disguise it well.

JBS: What are you working on this off-season and what are your goals for next year?

Pierre: I plan on working on everything. You have to always get better. I am looking forward to a great year. I want a conference championship, playoffs at our house, and winning the Super Bowl. That is all that really matters winning the Super Bowl.

JBS: Thanks for checking back in with us Pierre.

Pierre: No problem man. I appreciate you. Thanks a lot and have a good one!

From Garcon to Shorts, we had the chance to talk with Cecil Shorts recently and he talked about his career at Mount Union, what he thought when he saw his former teammate in the Super Bowl, and his future football goals. Here is what he had to say!

WR CECIL SHORTS, MOUNT UNION

JBS: First we want to thank you for taking the time out to speak with us.

Cecil: Thanks for having me.

JBS: Being a former teammate of Pierre Garcon what has it been like seeing him play in the NFL and be successful?

Cecil: Seeing Pierre is a dream come true not just for him but everybody that knew him and played with him. He was a great player a mount union and didn’t belong at this level and is proving himself now.

JBS: How would you compare your game to his?

Cecil: I think our game is different but I watch film on him a lot and try and emulate what I see from his game into mine.

JBS: Do you feel that his impact in the NFL will help you in getting a better look than you might have if he had not been successful like he has?

Cecil: I truly believe that he has open doors and paved the way for me as well as other d3 players. His success has people, scouts and etc asking and looking at me pretty hard so I’m definitely thankful for him in many ways.

JBS: What have you been working on this off-season to improve?

Cecil: I am just working on my strength and speed. I am catching the ball three times a week.

JBS: Pierre Garcon has told us before that he feels you will play in the NFL and that you could be an impact player. What does that mean to you hearing praise like that from a former teammate in the NFL?

Cecil: Its very exciting to hear that support because he know what it takes to get there and being in the NFL he has seen a lot of talent so it gives me motivation to work harder and succeed.

JBS: It is rare for D3 players to get looks from the NFL, let alone make it, so how did a D1 caliber talent as yourself land in Division III?

Cecil: Some guys just get looked overlooked you know. That is something I cant change, everything happens for a reason I know I don’t belong at this level so every Saturday I got out there to prove it and show people I don’t belong. That’s one of the things that really drives me.

JBS: Who is the best player you have faced?

Cecil: The best player I’ve ever faced I would have to say would be Daryl Ely from mount union 2 years ago.

JBS: What are your goals for this year?

Cecil: my goals are to win a national championship and to continue to prove that I don’t belong at this level.

NON-FOOTBALL SIX-PACK

JBS: What is your favorite movie?

Cecil: John Q.

JBS: What are your hobbies?

Cecil: Playing Wii bowling, hanging with my friends and family

JBS: What is your favorite type of music?

Cecil: Rap, R&B. Old school.

JBS: If you could pick another profession besides football what would it be?

Cecil: I would be a coach coaching football somewhere

JBS: What is your favorite color?

Cecil: Green.

JBS: What is your favorite food?

Cecil: Steak and potatoes with cheesecake for dessert.

JBS: Thanks for taking the time to speak with us and best of luck this season!

Cecil: Thank you I greatly appreciate it.

Shorts is currently rated 26th overall on the JBS Big Board and a priority free agent projection for the 2011 NFL Draft!