CFZ From Most Prolific to Back to the Basics: Deuce Needs to Produce

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Firstly, mods. Please chance this Title to From Most Prolific to Back to the Basics: Deuce Needs to Produce.

I wanted to say, "He hasn't been flashy, but one play showed me how he was indeed a willing blocker in a real game and that still gives me hope about Deuce Vaughn. So, he can actually get low and cut you, which is exactly what he did against the Patriots, late in the game. But he can also get off a block at that size.

So Deuce passed that initial test with me on some level. He showed he can actually find a way to block, and sometimes, it gives him an advantage. Just not so great where he can overcome the tell beforehand, like they're telegraphing where the play is going any time Deuce is in. They need to let things unfold more and not force it to him.

For Deuce to be effective, you have to fake it to him and move him around some... sure, you can give it to him, but he's more of a trickier sort of gadget back, one who could become a good player in the league. He just needs some work, and the NFL really exposes his size limitations. That said, I know he's got some game in the right system.

So, again, I realize Deuce needs to produce, and I'm here putting my foot in my mouth. So what? I still think he has a role in the offense, at times. Maybe he takes a year or two to develop, because his speed isn't so uncommon in this league. I just can't help but think McCarthy and Shottenheimer hasn't done him any favors.

1.9 yards on 33 carries. Who's taking bets he'll be at 3.1 in his first 100.

The Cowboys should get more comfortable with him as a player, because they can incorporate fakes and mis-directions. The stat I would like to see is how well the rest of the offense does on Deuce's reps.

Anyway, the player I always envisioned Deuce having a breakout game was San Fran. But you can't just run him into a wall, and really need to think about ways not to telegraph where the ball is going for him to succeed. Emphasis on not Telegraphing [to the players, I mean, pre-snap].
That's it. Here we are heading into game 5. The season got here fast. Time really flies.

Last edited:

plasticman

Reaction score
Deuce has produced 51 yards in 21 touches. That is 17 runs and 4 receptions. So 13 yards came in 1 touch and the rest averages less than two yards.

I went back and looked at Pollard's first 21 touches. It wasn't much better. He totaled 66 yards on 19 runs and 2 receptions.

Pollard's next 21 touches got him 135 yards. I say we give Deuce another 21 touches and see what happens.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Firstly, mods. Please chance this Title to From Most Prolific to Back to the Basics: Deuce Needs to Produce.

I wanted to say, "He hasn't been flashy, but one play showed me how he was indeed a willing blocker in a real game and that still gives me hope about Deuce Vaughn. So, he can actually get low and cut you, which is exactly what he did against the Patriots, late in the game. But he can also get off a block at that size.

So Deuce passed that initial test with me on some level. He showed he can actually find a way to block, and sometimes, it gives him an advantage. Just not so great where he can overcome the tell beforehand, like they're telegraphing where the play is going any time Deuce is in. They need to let things unfold more and not force it to him.

For Deuce to be effective, you have to fake it to him and move him around some... sure, you can give it to him, but he's more of a trickier sort of gadget back, one who could become a good player in the league. He just needs some work, and the NFL really exposes his size limitations. That said, I know he's got some game in the right system.

So, again, I realize Deuce needs to produce, and I'm here putting my foot in my mouth. So what? I still think he has a role in the offense, at times. Maybe he takes a year or two to develop, because his speed isn't so uncommon in this league. I just can't help but think McCarthy and Shottenheimer hasn't done him any favors.

The Cowboys should get more comfortable with him as a player, because they can incorporate fakes and mis-directions. The stat I would like to see is how well the rest of the offense does on Deuce's reps.

Anyway, the player I always envisioned Deuce having a breakout game was San Fran. But you can't just run him into a wall, and really need to think about ways not to telegraph where the ball is going for him to succeed. Emphasis on not Telegraphing [to the players, I mean, pre-snap].
That's it. Here we are heading into game 5. The season got here fast. Time really flies.
First legit thing u have said all year!!

:thumbup::oldcouple::dance:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

They have yet to cut the Deuce loose.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
His biggest problems is he hasn't got any meaningful touches with the starters.

Running him into 9 and 10 men fronts at the end of the game is ridiculous.

He simply hasn't had a chance to produce yet.

Yep.. This is obvious.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

I also think some of our redzone “problems” could be fixed with Deuce.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
His biggest problems is he hasn't got any meaningful touches with the starters.

Running him into 9 and 10 men fronts at the end of the game is ridiculous.

He simply hasn't had a chance to produce yet.
Pretty much what this post has mentioned. He has a crap YPC because he is getting carries mostly when its an obvious run down situation which is never going to look good stat wise.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Deuce has produced 51 yards in 21 touches. That is 17 runs and 4 receptions. So 13 yards came in 1 touch and the rest averages less than two yards.

I went back and looked at Pollard's first 21 touches. It wasn't much better. He totaled 66 yards on 19 runs and 2 receptions.

Pollard's next 21 touches got him 135 yards. I say we give Deuce another 21 touches and see what happens.
Oh, I'm with you on that. As good as Vaughn was in college, the NFL was always going to be an adjustment.

It was likely always going to take some time to allow him to get in his groove, so-to-speak.