Fun experience I had in the U.S.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
I was in Grand Forks, N.D. for a manager's meeting when the Cowboys played the N.Y. Giants and won in overtime.

It was the first time I had ever experienced an American sports bar atmosphere and I have to say it was fun to watch and participate.

The majority of the fans were there for the Vikings vs the Bears and it was a blast to watch (6) Bears fans jaw back and forth with a bar full of Vikings fans.

What surprised me was the Bears fans all congregated at one table, but when the game was over they joined the friends, Vikings fans, for the ride home.

Given some of the call outs and put downs they were exchanging I never thought anyone could ride in the same car. Great atmosphere, and good prices for the food. I spent alot of time rubbernecking from one screen to another during the commercials.

In Canada we have sports bars with multiple screens, but it seems there just isn't the enthusiasm and a core of NFL fans who frequent he places.

I think the one thing I enjoyed in Grand Forks was being in a place where so many knowledgable fans were around to have a conversation with.

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
davidyee said:
I was in Grand Forks, N.D. for a manager's meeting when the Cowboys played the N.Y. Giants and won in overtime.

It was the first time I had ever experienced an American sports bar atmosphere and I have to say it was fun to watch and participate.

The majority of the fans were there for the Vikings vs the Bears and it was a blast to watch (6) Bears fans jaw back and forth with a bar full of Vikings fans.

What surprised me was the Bears fans all congregated at one table, but when the game was over they joined the friends, Vikings fans, for the ride home.

Given some of the call outs and put downs they were exchanging I never thought anyone could ride in the same car. Great atmosphere, and good prices for the food. I spent alot of time rubbernecking from one screen to another during the commercials.

In Canada we have sports bars with multiple screens, but it seems there just isn't the enthusiasm and a core of NFL fans who frequent he places.

I think the one thing I enjoyed in Grand Forks was being in a place where so many knowledgable fans were around to have a conversation with.
We do loves our Football :D

BTW it's not unusual for good friends to make those kinds of remarks to each other. My Best Man was a 'Skins fan but you would think we were about to come to blows when we watched the Cowboys / Redsikns games together. :)

Eddie

Reaction score
Dave, fugget that ND stuff. There are more people in the borough of Queens than the entire states of N and S Dakota.

If you're ever back in the US, and in the New York area, you're always welcome to watch the Cowboys games at my crib. Then we'll go to Chinatown or Flushing, Queens and get some REAL Chinese food ... none of that takeout stuff they serve throughout the rest of the USA.

I'm still upset that you didn't introduce me to Kathy ... but things worked out. ha ha

Hope all is well. :)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Eddie said:
Dave, fugget that ND stuff. There are more people in the borough of Queens than the entire states of N and S Dakota.

If you're ever back in the US, and in the New York area, you're always welcome to watch the Cowboys games at my crib. Then we'll go to Chinatown or Flushing, Queens and get some REAL Chinese food ... none of that takeout stuff they serve throughout the rest of the USA.

I'm still upset that you didn't introduce me to Kathy ... but things worked out. ha ha

Kathy?

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Eddie said:

...it was fun being in a bar where not everything revolved around the NHL for one and that four downs and running the football to win was norm.

I enjoyed the atmosphere and the knowledgeable talk, but having good Chinese food in a sports bar would make my day. I try to avoid the "takeout stuff" when I travel through much of the rural U.S. where my job tends to take me.

BTW, Kathy married Greg, owner of a communications company in Hong Kong and they just sent us pictures of their 8 month old son. She's sporting her pre pregnancy waist size of 25 inches and has begun working again in modelling.

I don't know if you had a chance, but take a look at the "pictures of our forum members" thread in the members zone(???). I posted some pics of the wife and kids.

How's things going for you?

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Hostile said:

...whom I talked to Eddie about.

Back in the DMN days all Eddie could talk about was "hot latinaz" so I aksed him if he would be interested in my cousin Kathy who was working in New York in the Modelling and Photography business in fashion and couture.

She's half and half - Chinese/Irish, so she has dark hair, fair skin and green eyes. When she was younger she won "ChinaTown" beauty pageants in Canada.

Alas, it didn't work out although I gave here Eddie's site and a line to the DMN to check him out. I'm a lousy matchmaker!

She couldn't wait so she got hitched a year after I was hounding Eddie with the lead.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
davidyee said:
...whom I talked to Eddie about.

Back in the DMN days all Eddie could talk about was "hot latinaz" so I aksed him if he would be interested in my cousin Kathy who was working in New York in the Modelling and Photography business in fashion and couture.

She's half and half - Chinese/Irish, so she has dark hair, fair skin and green eyes. When she was younger she won "ChinaTown" beauty pageants in Canada.

Alas, it didn't work out although I gave here Eddie's site and a line to the DMN to check him out. I'm a lousy matchmaker!

She couldn't wait so she got hitched a year after I was hounding Eddie with the lead.
Now that's a pal.