Future Free Agent Moves??-- Free Safety

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
With the recent signings of Terrell Owens and Mike Vanderjagt, the biggest hole remaining on the roster is at free safety... most of the folks studying the Cowboys' roster are convinced that they'll draft a FS early on, but with the cap room they still have left, I think they ought to draft a FS early AND sign one in free agency... with that in mind, let's look at the possibilities:

Charles Woodson, CB, Raiders... 6-1, 200 pounds... will be 30 at the start of the regular season... 4.45 second 40... has started all 58 games in which he's played... there have been published reports in the last 24 hours that he's not only willing to contemplate a move to FS, but he'd like to play for the Cowboys too... he's a little older than I like, but if the Boys do draft a FS early, Woodson can hold down the fort while the youngster learns on the job... he'd be pricey, but the Boys have the cap room to bring him in, if they wish...

Chris Hope, FS, Steelers... 5-11, 206 pounds... will be 26 on opening day, 2006... 4.55 second 40... has started 32 of the 62 games he's played... for some reason, Hope is the marquee name left on the open market at FS at this point, and as such, will command top dollar... on the one hand, I don't know if his stats justify the payday he's about to receive, but he WAS a starter on a pretty good Steelers' defense...

Lance Schulters, FS/SS, Dolphins... 6-2, 200 pounds... will be 31 on opening day, older than I'd prefer... 4.5 second 40... has started all 67 games in which he's played... I like this guy (as a short-term solution)...

Antuan Edwards, FS/SS, Falcons... 6-1, 210 pounds... will be 29 at the start of the season... 4.5 second 40... has started 28 of his last 40 games... he's bounced around some the last coupla years, but he's another player I like...

Marcus Coleman, FS, Texans... 6-2, 206 pounds... will be 32 at the start of the 06 season... 4.55 second 40... has started 70 of his 74 games played...

Ifeanyi Ohalete, FS/SS, Bengals... 6-2, 220 pounds... will be 27 at the start of the regular season... 4.55 second 40... has started 50 of 78 games... I wouldn't bring Ohalete in to start, but his ability to back up both safety positions would come in handy, if his price tag is reasonable...

Kenny Wright, CB, Jaguars... 6-1, 206 pounds... will be 29 on Opening Day... 4.55 second 40... has started 29 of 78 games played... though he's been a corner thus far in his career, his size and mediocre 40 time suggests he'd be more effective moving to FS...

Personally, I'd throw the money at Woodson, but I'd be happy to have Schulters, Edwards or even Coleman start at FS next season, if the Boys bring in a talented young FS prospect on the first day of the draft...

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Interester stuff SB. I'd take Shulters who should come at a reasonable price.

BTW I think Hope got signed. I just cannot remember who did! The memory is failing. :eek:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Hope signed with the Titans. If Woodson is willing to play FS I'm all for it.

silverbear

Reaction score
Arch Stanton said:
Interester stuff SB. I'd take Shulters who should come at a reasonable price.

BTW I think Hope got signed. I just cannot remember who did! The memory is failing. :eek:

Arch, if Hope has signed, NFL.com hasn't caught up to that fact yet... they still show him as a FA... however, if anybody can verify this signing, I'll remove him from my master list...

silverbear

Reaction score
theogt said:
Hope signed with the Titans.

Just went to their website, and you're right... so off the list he goes...

Looks like NFL.com isn't too up to date on things like this...

Death Star

Reaction score
silverbear said:
Thanks, overfiend, I just went over to the Titans' website and learned the truth...

Yeah, I only beat you by a few seconds there, gotta love it :D

silverbear

Reaction score
overfiend60 said:
Yeah, I only beat you by a few seconds there, gotta love it :D

My vengeance will be swift, and terrible... ;)

Seriously, if any of you see any "free agents" mentioned in this series of analyses who have already been signed, I'd take it as a favor if you'd let me know...

Death Star

Reaction score
silverbear said:
My vengeance will be swift, and terrible... ;)

Seriously, if any of you see any "free agents" mentioned in this series of analyses who have already been signed, I'd take it as a favor if you'd let me know...

I ran a quick google news search on the others like I did with Chris Hope, he appears to be the only one signed so far. Google news can be a pretty good way to source recent news, although it can sometimes take a few hours for new stories to show up on it.

http://news.google.com/

silverbear

Reaction score
overfiend60 said:
I ran a quick google news search on the others like I did with Chris Hope, he appears to be the only one signed so far. Google news can be a pretty good way to source recent news, although it can sometimes take a few hours for new stories to show up on it.

http://news.google.com/

Thanks for that, I may try it... I made up my spreadsheet by going through the player bios over on NFL.com, and the Hope thing made me realize they're not completely up to date...

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
I would say the biggest holes on the team are as follows:

1. Center
2. LG
3. RT
4. FS
5. BU QB

The OL is still questionable. I expect the Cowboys to be OL specific on draft day.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
I would say the biggest holes on the team are as follows:

1. Center
2. LG
3. RT
4. FS
5. BU QB

The OL is still questionable. I expect the Cowboys to be OL specific on draft day.

The cowboys signed Fabini. He's no superstar, but he's a solid RT. RT is no longer a need.

LG... we addressed that position. Whether it turns out to be worth a crap or not remains to be seen.

We have a Center. He has no problems in pass protection or with making his line calls. The only thing he really needs to improve is his run blocking. We'll see how he does this offseason. But he's young, and it's too early to give up on him. He gets one more season.

FS is by far the biggest area of need right now.

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Rack said:
The cowboys signed Fabini. He's no superstar, but he's a solid RT. RT is no longer a need.

LG... we addressed that position. Whether it turns out to be worth a crap or not remains to be seen.

We have a Center. He has no problems in pass protection or with making his line calls. The only thing he really needs to improve is his run blocking. We'll see how he does this offseason. But he's young, and it's too early to give up on him. He gets one more season.

FS is by far the biggest area of need right now.

Rack, we have had our moments over the years, I dont expect this to be one of them ( we will agree to disagree).

You have a center that has ZERO push. That is a major problem for an old school coach who likes to pound the ball.

Fabini actually is a very good signing, but I thought the same thing about Rivera last season. And as far as addressing the LG position...eehhh. If you say so. I am not sold on this guy at all. IMO, he is great depth not potentially solid.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
You have a center that has ZERO push. That is a major problem for an old school coach who likes to pound the ball.

I thought I made myself perfectly clear that he isn't a good run blocker. So what's your point? My point still stands, he's young and it's TOO EARLY to give up on him.

Fabini actually is a very good signing, but I thought the same thing about Rivera last season.

Rivera wasn't half as bad as the people around here make him out to be. And I know darn well I know more about him then you do. Just like you know more about your RG then I do.

And as far as addressing the LG position...eehhh. If you say so. I am not sold on this guy at all. IMO, he is great depth not potentially solid.

Again, thought I made myself perfectly clear concerning Kosier. I said "Whether it turns out to be worth a crap or not remains to be seen."

Just cuz the guy didn't get a 10 million dollar signing bonus doesn't mean he'll be garbage. I never said I was sold on the guy either. Again, it's a "wait and see" approach with him. The point is a LG has been signed, it wouldn't make sense for the cowboys to think they have to sign another. Why sign Kosier in the first place? And on the first day of FA no less.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I'd say OLB is by far the biggest need on the team right now.

Your starter there is Al Singleton and your depth is.....non existent.

justbob

Just taking it easy
Reaction score
I believe our line will surprise alot of people. We have alot of 3 and 4 year players (and a few second year with alot of playing time). There have been alot of linemen come into their on in the 3 or 4th year. We maybe loaded with
a good mixture of those player and a few older vets. Having young players
that will work the whole game is better then some that we have or had that
take plays off

Woods

Reaction score
justbob said:
I believe our line will surprise alot of people. We have alot of 3 and 4 year players (and a few second year with alot of playing time). There have been alot of linemen come into their on in the 3 or 4th year. We maybe loaded with
a good mixture of those player and a few older vets. Having young players
that will work the whole game is better then some that we have or had that
take plays off

I think so as well.

From what I hear, Flo is already running wind sprints and is doing well, Rivera is also working out and is feeling healthy. I think Fabini's consistency speaks for itself.

As for Al Johnson and Gurode, they now have some good experience under their belts, and I'd expect both to make improvement this year.

As for Kosier, I have no idea one way or the other. But if the coaching staff believes he's got the upside, I'll go with them.

In any case, I'd bet we take an OL during the first day . . . . I think we can get a good prospect in round 2 or 3.

I think a guy with good UPSIDE, though not ready to start Day 1, is Spencer from Pitt. He's got a DL mentality, natural strength and size, and he moves well for a big guy. His drawback is that he's only played on the OL for about 2 years, so he needs some reps. Plus, they say he's got the ability to play both Guard and Tackle. We could probably get him the bottom of the 2nd round.

silverbear

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps said:
Rack, we have had our moments over the years, I dont expect this to be one of them ( we will agree to disagree).

It's true that Al needs more strength... what Rack says about him is also true, the guy can run well for an offensive lineman, and he's quite smart...

The thing is, his first year in the league, he hurt his knee, and had to have that microfracture surgery... last offseason was spent rehabbing from that serious surgery, and not enough time could be dedicated to improving his strength...

But we've already read this offseason that Johnson has added ten pounds... that's just a start, and of course he might just be eating like a pig... but if this means that he's getting serious about getting stronger, and that results are beginning to show, it's legitimate to wonder how good he could be if he got up to 310-315 pounds by muscling up...

Fabini actually is a very good signing, but I thought the same thing about Rivera last season.

After hurting his back last spring, I don't think that Rivera was ever really 100 per cent... while recognizing that he's getting older, it's entirely possible that with a full offseason of workouts, he'll be back to his old self by the time training camp rolls around...

And as far as addressing the LG position...eehhh. If you say so. I am not sold on this guy at all. IMO, he is great depth not potentially solid.

Kosier will be an OK fill-in, I think, but I sure would like it if the Boys were able to sign Stephen Neal from the Pats...