Fuzzy thoughts on the offense and kicking game.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Linehan was trying the WC method of replacing runs with short passes. I am a fan of the 5 yard dump off on first down especially if you have the rest of the guys running patterns too. We also ran quite a few 3 step drops and short screens or similar quick hitters to try and keep QBs out of harms way.

SF knew the OL was patchwork so they played up a lot. Bowman repeatedly sat on the A gap and attacked runs while he was in there. They brought Bethea up as well.

They ran a whole series of line stunts, LB twists and zone blitzes through two quarters as well. This caused all manner of problems and led to what was a lopsided score in the end.

OL was the low point as advertised. Fred was dominating drive blocking in his handful of snaps but he had a short leash.

Bernadeau kicked in when he gave way. He seemed the only person on the field for a long time that had any awareness and kept his head on a swivel. He made good blocks inline and on the second level. He was the only one to get any sort of block on Weeden's concussion knocking Howard down as he came inside.

Collins had some really nice run blocks inline, on the second level and pulling. He missed another reach block. Sat down on a fresh and determined Armstead -their first round pick- in the second half even if Vaughn did panic. He showed good stamina. He combined with Weems to get Weeden hurt. Struggled with SF zone blitzing.

Weems cannot defend the inside move and the corner so he cheats. He tries to recovering to latch on with one arm but he ends up with a lot of holding calls and giving a leaky edge. He lacks power inline run blocking against 3-4 DE. Does have decent feet getting to the second level. Weems also wore down and started lunging and standing up in the second half.

Wetzel got confused on a LB twist. Randle picks up the LB and Wetzel gets nobody while the DL pummels Vaughn. Wetzel allowed Lemonier to get inside his pads on a bull rush and got stood up into Weeden. He wasn't making plays in the run game for 3 quarters. Played better inside at the end.

Dill whiffed on a lot of blocks and let his QBs get hit. Like Weems has weak upper body strength. Whiffs a lot. Camp body short for the roster.

Patrick and McDermott came in at the end along with Gibson and did provide a decent front along with Wetzel in the 4th quarter. Gus Johnson was able to find some room and Flowers didn't have the same trainwreck coming at him.

Witten missed a block at the poa and made a cutoff block in his one series.

Escobar seems to have been showcased, Weeden and Vaughn have come to trust him as a receiver, or both. Even their throwaways were at his feet not that it did him any good. He had an early drop on third down. He had the first down already but peaked upfield. He managed a couple of catches but as a pass catcher there was much to be desired. I was surprised by his pass blocking work last season but he continues to be a good option for 6th pass protector. He has jarring hands chipping. In the run game he was able to sustain inline blocks on Lemonier and Howard. He was able to reach Moody on the second level. He played a lot and seems to have made gains in arm strength. He is a heady blocker looking to take on multiple defenders on the second level. Curious to see how he complements the starting line.

Swaim seemed to block SF backup OLB just fine. He isn't a roadgrader but he isn't easily shed like a chump either. He played a lot including a fair amount in the first half. He was targeted with success by Vaughn and Flowers in the passing game. Hanna might lose his job in the training room.

There was some downroster TE but he didn't really do anything worth mentioning.

Clutts is what he is. Unlike the TE he doesn't provide much in the pass catching department. He doesn't get as much push as I would like but he is consistent in reaching blocks. He plays balls to the wall whenever he is in including special teams. He has grown on me. He is so keen on hitting people that it irritates the opposition. I like that.

DMC continues to have questionable balance running between the tackles. He gets 7 yards on the play though so it creates this uncertainty. I would like him to keep his feet better. I really like using him like a WC back running sprints outside and slashing the edges. He does look fast and he has sure hands. Witten and others missing blocks at the poa did not help his cause.

I just like how Randle runs. The way he hops around making his cuts keeps his feet under him. He has good balance through contact and short area quickness to make people miss in any space. Vision remains a strength. He showed patience waiting to cutback on the sweep. He would have gotten away with the day pass blocking had he not taken a swipe at the defenders leg when he fell down. If you want to criticize him for taking the smaller guy on Wetzel's whiff then go for it but admit that it was a solid block on the ILB. Does have good hands as well.

Yay more throws to Dunbar underneath where he doesn't make anyone miss and goes down easily. I'm still waiting for what the coaches see in this guy. I remember the Oakland game too.

Gus Johnson doesn't seem to like getting hit very much and takes a lot of hits. Not that I blame him but that is a problem for an NFL running back.

Without Dez, Williams played sparingly. He flooded the zone and helped get Escobar open on his drop and then his night was done. He was not thrown to and like the secondary, the WR position is hard to see much less evaluate on TV. The QBs weren't finding many open receivers nonetheless.

Street was in there for a half and was targeted once. He did have a step on his man but the S was already on the hash to double a throw. He has yet to really impress me in his young career.

Jenkins has two catches on deep ins which is a staple route in Linehan's offense. He took a big hit and held on. He lost his shoe on the other reception. While he did not maximize his evening coming off the field, him making plays on contested catches is a big step.

Porter might be the 5th best WR on the roster right now. He has decent size, a knack for getting open, and consistent hands. Willingness to work inside and win is a big plus. He deserves some reps against better competition. Here is his NFL draftscout page. Decent measurables outside of poor jumps.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=120089&draftyear=2015&genpos=WR

Whitehead was weak on a bad throw that led to the interception. He needs to find a way to break up that pick. It's fair to question his physicality.

Harwell, Goodley and any downroster guys I don't remember were like the WR performance as a whole: unimpressive.

Romo handed the ball off quickly to DMC a few times and took a bow. He seemed in control but he didn't do much of note.

Weeden has been hammered for his drives. First series he hits Escobar in the hands past the sticks after two WC style short throws to DMC outside. Escobar drops it. Second series Randle tries to trip a blitzer and nullifies a first down throw to Escobar. Play after that was a terrible throw. He didn't try to hold the S in the middle of the field and almost got Street plastered. His last series protection melted down under SF pressure. False start by Wetzel. Wetzel gets rocked by a Lemonier bullrush who gets a hit on a scrambling Weeden. Third down sees neither Weems nor Collins block Dial nor Harold. Both guys get a hit. That leads to a punt, a concussion, and the end of Weeden's day.

The throw to Street had no shot but it also had no shot to be intercepted. Weeden faced a lot of pressure. Made a couple of decent throws and did not turn the ball over. I think people have some unreasonable expectations for a backup QB. I'm not going to tell you he is any good but have fun finding better.

Vaughn experienced the same pressure and completely melted down. When he was able to make reads, he was inaccurate. The interception to Whitehead was rushed, too high, and out in front. You want that belt high in the middle of the field. Thank goodness for the new rules protecting receivers. The other interception and near interception were just blind panic throws. I cannot say that I have never seen a QB melt down like that but it wasn't pretty. He needs to bounce back or his Cowboys tenure is likely over.

When you stare down a receiver its a bad thing. When you stare down a receiver, come off him and convert third down outside to Swaim then that is holding the S in the middle of the field. They run a scaled down offense for him and you don't see him turn his hips and scan the whole field. He has a long way to go but he definitely has moxie. His only bad throw was the 2 point conversion interception but I liked how he tackled his own pick. With yet another special teams tackle in an otherwise sea of special teams return failure teamwide, I like his chances to make the roster. He showed he deserved it over Vaughn this evening.

Special teams was pretty awful. Hornsey out kicked his coverage and shanked punts. Their punt returner made White, Smith, Wilber, and Ross miss tackles. Gachkar, Showers, and the punter are noticeable for making tackles. 41, Scott, screwed the pooch on the blocked punt as a replacement. McCray manned that spot in the first half. Bailey missed a FG.

Whitehead had several good returns. He has good quickness and held onto the ball in a similar twisting scrum that saw him fumble last time. Bishop also does well in McClain's role on KR. He has a good sense of angles and when to just let coverage run wide. Good job staying on his feet through the play. Lucky snuck right behind him on the early KR. Overall 13 appears to have good vision and he has made all the right decisions in terms of fair catch/touchback versus return. As many have mentioned already, he needs to hold onto the ball but he appears to have the inside track to winning the return job. Harwell muffed and then sat on a punt.

Some people have to get cut soon. Tick tick tick tick.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
Good job, Fuzz.

Especially in pre-season, the evaluation of individual performances with the level of competition considered, as well as the amount assistance rendered by their teammates.........
this is what we need to be judging.