FWST Blog: Oxnard Observation Deck: Monday edition/Pacman Unplugged - 08/12/08

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Practice today was without pads and was cut short by about a half hour. The Cowboys had team drills (still no hitting allowed) and focused on....special teams coverage. I know what you're thinking.

Scare of the day: WR Terrell Owens suffered a brief injury to his hand on a poor short pass from Tony Romo. Owens grabbed his hand and leaned over in pain. Nothing serious. He returned with the starters fo the next series.

Defensive player of the day: CB Evan Oglesby. This guy is the All-Oxnerd MVP. He had two more interceptions on Monday. He had a leaping pickoff of Brad Johnson and had another off a tip.

Sloppy accuracy: Tony Romo didn't look good today. He was not sharp and threw a ball behind Miles Austin for an interception and missed Owens badly on a few throws.

Henry gets INT: CB Anthony Henry continues to remain steady. He intercepted a Romo pass off the hands of Miles Austin.

Bobby does it again: Wade Phillips said Bobby Carpenter's hard work is paying off. He busted up a pass intended for Jason Witten in team drills. Carpenter has been stellar in practice and led the team with seven tackles in the preseason game. Wade said he looked better than he did at any point last year.

Bennett drops, Atchison catches: Second-round pick Martellus Bennett's inconsistent hands continue. He had a drop in practice and undrafted free agent TE Drew Atchison made a high reaching grab to the outside.

One more: The last practice in this lovely town with great weather will be Tuesday at 12:45 p.m. (central).

- Rick Herrin

Photo: Ron Jenkins

Posted at 08:48 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Pacman unplugged

Cowboys cornerback Pacman Jones didn't play well Saturday night and he felt his timing was off in his first game since missing the 2007 season. He sounded off on himself on Monday after practice.

On his first game: "When you go in the big leagues against professionals and you haven't done it

in a while you are going to be a little rusty. I am just taking my time. It will work out. It's nothing for me to worry about. I know what I got to do and I am going to do it.

On missed tackles: I got to start hitting people. It's game speed. You see how I am pursuing to the ball today. One thing about it, I watch my film and I am the biggest critic of myself. That is pathetic for me to be missing tackles like that. I don't give a damn about me being out of football for two or three years. A tackle is a tackle, but I will get it together. Hopefully I won't miss no more."

On being patient: "Damn patience. I got to make it do what it do. I ain't come here to be patient. I have worked too hard. The first preseason game I always play like (expletive). We will see how I play this weekend. If I do the same (expletive) I did last weekend this weekend put me under the bus. But I doubt that is going to happen. I give y'all permission to blast me if I do it again this week."

- Rick Herrin

Photo: Ron Jenkins

Posted at 08:26 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2188798 said:
Bobby does it again: Wade Phillips said Bobby Carpenter's hard work is paying off. He busted up a pass intended for Jason Witten in team drills. Carpenter has been stellar in practice and led the team with seven tackles in the preseason game. Wade said he looked better than he did at any point last year.

Must be a practice hero.....

If he is better used as Scout Team All - American then so be it. At least he is making people better

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;2188807 said:
Must be a practice hero.....

If he is better used as Scout Team All - American then so be it. At least he is making people better

Steve Dennis who is a big buckeye fan said the reason Bobby looks so good in practice is because there is no hitting involved.

There may be something to that sadly.

SweetDC

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2188798 said:
Scare of the day: WR Terrell Owens suffered a brief injury to his hand on a poor short pass from Tony Romo. Owens grabbed his hand and leaned over in pain. Nothing serious. He returned with the starters fo the next series.
Owens injured his hand?! Here we go again. That's it, he's gonna be dropping passes all season long.
---Example of a knee-jerk reaction that's likely to get bashed by forum members.:D
But I am glad it wasn't a serious injury. I was scared there for a second. Camp Marshmallow better take it easy on Owens.

WoodysGirl;2188798 said:
Cowboys cornerback Pacman Jones didn't play well Saturday night and he felt his timing was off in his first game since missing the 2007 season. He sounded off on himself on Monday after practice.

On his first game: "When you go in the big leagues against professionals and you haven't done it

in a while you are going to be a little rusty. I am just taking my time. It will work out. It's nothing for me to worry about. I know what I got to do and I am going to do it.

On missed tackles: I got to start hitting people. It's game speed. You see how I am pursuing to the ball today. One thing about it, I watch my film and I am the biggest critic of myself. That is pathetic for me to be missing tackles like that. I don't give a damn about me being out of football for two or three years. A tackle is a tackle, but I will get it together. Hopefully I won't miss no more."

On being patient: "Damn patience. I got to make it do what it do. I ain't come here to be patient. I have worked too hard. The first preseason game I always play like (expletive). We will see how I play this weekend. If I do the same (expletive) I did last weekend this weekend put me under the bus. But I doubt that is going to happen. I give y'all permission to blast me if I do it again this week."
I am really impressed with his attitude and work ethic. I don't know if some of the other players rubbed off on him or if he decided it was time to get his act together. But whatever the source, he's turning into a fine Cowboy. I have to eat my words because I said it was going to be a mistake bringing him on board.

Reaction score
CATCH17;2188832 said:
Steve Dennis who is a big buckeye fan said the reason Bobby looks so good in practice is because there is no hitting involved.

There may be something to that sadly.

I believe it totally....

Bobby is extremely athletic for a 6'2 250 guy. He carries the weight well and can move for his size. His problem is he doesnt like contact, cant shed a block to save his life and doesnt really have a position in the 3-4.

He will probably be a Fuijta like player in a 4-3 at SOLB when he signs with another team after his deal is done. He is best suited for that defense anyway and will have less interior lineman to take on play after play.

MONT17

Reaction score
Enough of evean ogelsvy he is makin pics off of sorry qbs and wrs who can't get seperation. Let me know when he picks romo while covering to other than that u can file his picks with bocarps in the marshmellow files!

AtlCB

Reaction score
Carpenter and Burnett could play like Ray Lewis and Brian Urlacher, and you guys would still call them bums.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Like to hear that from Adam. I'm confident he opens the season as the starter and makes a huge impact. He will be on everyone top 10 CB list at seasons end. He will also have a huge year returning punts for us.

Have we ever had 2 CB's in the Pro-Bowl in the same season?:)

pgreptom

Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody is sounding off on his grammar. I personally don't mind.. that's how just about everyone talks where I'm from.. but still.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
MONT17;2188907 said:
Enough of evean ogelsvy he is makin pics off of sorry qbs and wrs who can't get seperation. Let me know when he picks romo while covering to other than that u can file his picks with bocarps in the marshmellow files!

Okay, I'm letting you know. He intercepted a Romo pass intended for Austin in the same practice today.

Edit: Just noticed you said T.O. because you didn't capitalize it.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
LeonDixson;2189179 said:
Okay, I'm letting you know. He intercepted a Romo pass intended for Austin in the same practice today.

Edit: Just noticed you said T.O. because you didn't capitalize it.
he also picked off Romo the practice before the charger game.

LeonDixson

Reaction score
Rampage;2189188 said:
he also picked off Romo the practice before the charger game.

I know, but Mont17 basically said he wouldn't be satisfied unless he picked a pass from Romo intended for Owens. Sounds like a pretty high standard to hold someone to, but there it is.

In truth, though, I wasn't overly impressed with Ogelsby in the game Saturday. I also though Ball looked bad.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
LeonDixson;2189206 said:
I know, but Mont17 basically said he wouldn't be satisfied unless he picked a pass from Romo intended for Owens. Sounds like a pretty high standard to hold someone to, but there it is.

In truth, though, I wasn't overly impressed with Ogelsby in the game Saturday. I also though Ball looked bad.
I wasn't impressed with much except our 1st teams and Felix.

LeonDixson

Reaction score
Rampage;2189214 said:
I wasn't impressed with much except our 1st teams and Felix.

Agreed. There wasn't too much to be impressed with. I would add Choice and Scandrick in there though.