FWST Blog: Singletary's Day After View of T.O.'s Big Day

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BigDFan5;2441816 said:
Got to say watching a coach throw his players under the bus by name bis pretty sad. I mean "we had a great gameplan" ***

It's not the first time he's done it either.

sbark

Reaction score
Verdict;2441965 said:
This interview is very telling. I think Singletary was saying that although he would love to double T.O. that the vast amount of weapons Dallas has would not allow him to. It sounds like he thought he had allocated enough defensive resources to keep T.O. from "going off", and the last several weeks indicated maybe his game plan was right. The Niners started off playing us pretty well. I believe Singletary KNEW if he doubled T.O. that he would get torched by the rest of the Dallas offense. He was probably right.

but its funny Mike'i didnt admit he should've made a halftime adjustment to his fantastic gameplan.......

Trying to remember, in the 80' Chicago Bears formative years, with Mike at MLB........did Coach Ditka or Buddy Ryan throw indiv. players under the bus?
that was 20+ yrs ago......coaches much more blunt than now as a rule.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
djtavo;2441891 said:
Wade gets criticized for taking blame, now Mike blames his players and people still dont like that...

You can't please everybody :lmao2:

superpunk

Reaction score
theebs;2441860 said:
funny.

I didnt see him name the guy that actually was responsible for those big plays, Tony ROmo. WIthout him eluding defenders owens would have had another ordinary game.
He did mention that he should have been sacked on the big play.

TD-33

Benched
Reaction score
My take on what Mike is saying is that he's questioning effort by his players more than defending his gameplan. But I wonder if any player could live up to his satisfaction lol. Sorry but I like the guy. Don't want him as HC, but as LB coach sure lol.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
jimmy40;2441840 said:
Mike Singletary is in over his head, and I was for hiring him here. :abuseme:

Wow, I have to concur. I am shocked Singletary doesn't own up to any responsibility here.

He sounds remarkably like T.O... it is everyone's fault... except his own.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
sbark;2442028 said:
but its funny Mike'i didnt admit he should've made a halftime adjustment to his fantastic gameplan.......

Trying to remember, in the 80' Chicago Bears formative years, with Mike at MLB........did Coach Ditka or Buddy Ryan throw indiv. players under the bus?
that was 20+ yrs ago......coaches much more blunt than now as a rule.

yes, but very rarely.

they didn't do it as a matter of habit.

singletary is in a pickle to a certain extent because he is an interim coach of a crap team. i am sure he feels a ton of pressure to succeed and the last thing he wants is to admit his X's and O's are lacking because that points to experience and he is short there.

calling out nate clements is a mistake imho because he is by far their best cb and you do not want to shake the guy's confidence... just say the scheme probably should have helped Nate more and that the QB bought more time than he had anticipated and everything sounds a whole less like dog-piling one dude.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
The gameplan, no matter how he spins it, was terrible. Period. It was terrible.

Now I'm thrilled they made that mistake cause it was to our benefit but TO is one of those recievers you simply can't look at and say "Well we're just going to man up on him and that will be enough".

Sorry, but he's too good. And that BS Mike spewed about how they could put Nate up on him and jam him and Nate would win 9 out of 10 times...then why wouldn't you do that if you beleived that?

I'll tell you why. Cause Mike is smart enough to realise that if he was going to leave Nate 1 on 1 all day, as he pretty much did, that if he put Nate up there to jam without over the top help those 3 big plays would have been 6 or 7 big plays.

Again no one in their right minds is EVER going to put a corner up on Owens, to jam him at the line, in one-on-one coverage. It doesn't happen and it won't happen. Not for more than 1 or 2 plays in an entire game because it would be suicide.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
theogt;2441853 said:
You think he was honest in stating that he had a great game plan? Or just not taking blame when he and his staff deserved it?

Exactly that wasnt calling players out for bad performance that was Him covering his own *** and throwing others under the bus

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
adbutcher;2442375 said:
:hammer:

Originally Posted by Clove
Sometimes the team with more talent is simply better and will win no matter what. (sometimes not)

I agree with you and Clove here of course but it makes it worse that Mike just didn't say something to that effect.

Instead of saying Nate just played bad, our safety got fooled and the DL couldn't pressure Romo... just say we didn't do what we needed to as a team and we might have asked too much of them with that game plan.

The issue is T.O. hit them for two big plays but he still put on another 80 yards after that. It was clear they didn't change anything to deal with him. They basically just said, we'll keep trying this even if they score 50... which the Cowboys might have if they didn't start trying to run the ball into a run defense and chew up the clock.

A good coaching staff is judged by the half-time adjustments they make in many cases. That's what makes Belichek so great. I know there is very little time at half-time but you can't just ignore when a guy goes nu'cu'lar on you.
Mike did and then pointed at multiple players....

tyke1doe

Reaction score
djtavo;2441891 said:
Wade gets criticized for taking blame, now Mike blames his players and people still dont like that...

Fickled are the feelings of the faithful fandom. ;)

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
So.....

TO has a BIG DAY....

AND... the media has to get down to the bottom of this.... "How could this happen?"

"Why Mike did you let this happen?"

:lmao2:

joseephuss

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2442378 said:
Again no one in their right minds is EVER going to put a corner up on Owens, to jam him at the line, in one-on-one coverage. It doesn't happen and it won't happen. Not for more than 1 or 2 plays in an entire game because it would be suicide.

I agree. The defenses have been jamming TO at the line and rolling the safety over the top. They rarely just manned up on him one on one. A CB can be ultra aggressive when he knows he has help over the top. I know in the first Washington game I also saw linebackers shaded over to TO's side to get in the underneath passing lanes as well. When teams do that, then Dallas has to win the one on one battles on the other side of the field.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
YoMick;2442731 said:
So.....

TO has a BIG DAY....

AND... the media has to get down to the bottom of this.... "How could this happen?"

"Why Mike did you let this happen?"

:lmao2:

YoMick, you seriously need to change your sig pics. I can't get through an entire thread where you post because I stop for 5 min. to stare and Halle's breast.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
joseephuss;2442748 said:
I agree. The defenses have been jamming TO at the line and rolling the safety over the top. They rarely just manned up on him one on one. A CB can be ultra aggressive when he knows he has help over the top. I know in the first Washington game I also saw linebackers shaded over to TO's side to get in the underneath passing lanes as well. When teams do that, then Dallas has to win the one on one battles on the other side of the field.

Not only that but those teams also pressured our QBs or had Brad tonka-toy arm Johnson in the game.

Any WR can take a bit longer to get off the line if he gets a good jam against him. If the QB can't buy any time or can't throw the ball accurately beyond 15 yards then that makes the defensive game plan pretty simple.

People want to go back to the cards game and claim they had this great coverage scheme.... OK, yes they held T.O. to 4 catches for 36 yards... but they basically tripled him. They had a LB shade his way and a CB press him and a safety over top.

All that added up to Romo going for 321 yards(second highest passing total of the week) and 3 TDs with zero picks.

We gave up two Special Teams TDs that week.

So what is truly effective in stopping T.O. is pretty clear... knock Romo out of the game.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
jterrell;2442722 said:
I agree with you and Clove here of course but it makes it worse that Mike just didn't say something to that effect.

Instead of saying Nate just played bad, our safety got fooled and the DL couldn't pressure Romo... just say we didn't do what we needed to as a team and we might have asked too much of them with that game plan.

The issue is T.O. hit them for two big plays but he still put on another 80 yards after that. It was clear they didn't change anything to deal with him. They basically just said, we'll keep trying this even if they score 50... which the Cowboys might have if they didn't start trying to run the ball into a run defense and chew up the clock.

A good coaching staff is judged by the half-time adjustments they make in many cases. That's what makes Belichek so great. I know there is very little time at half-time but you can't just ignore when a guy goes nu'cu'lar on you.
Mike did and then pointed at multiple players....

Mike is in a precarious position. He has been giving chicken **** and he is expected to make chicken salad. Not that I am condoning the fact that he is throwing his players under the bus but I think he is treating this interim position like this might be his last and only shot at being a head coach in the NFL.

The sad thing is that his approach will surely alienate most of the players and I suspect that the gone fishing signs might be coming out early in San Fran and this makes me smile. :)

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
jterrell;2442796 said:
Not only that but those teams also pressured our QBs or had Brad tonka-toy arm Johnson in the game.

Any WR can take a bit longer to get off the line if he gets a good jam against him. If the QB can't buy any time or can't throw the ball accurately beyond 15 yards then that makes the defensive game plan pretty simple.

People want to go back to the cards game and claim they had this great coverage scheme.... OK, yes they held T.O. to 4 catches for 36 yards... but they basically tripled him. They had a LB shade his way and a CB press him and a safety over top.

All that added up to Romo going for 321 yards(second highest passing total of the week) and 3 TDs with zero picks.

We gave up two Special Teams TDs that week.

So what is truly effective in stopping T.O. is pretty clear... knock Romo out of the game.

Very true statements. Also Red has been making an concerted effort of moving TO around while letting him start his routes from the slot.