FWST Blog: Sunday Oxnard Observation Deck/Breaking down the WRs/Flo dominating

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Oxnard Observation Deck: Sunday afternoon edition

Just one workout today...Monday will be a two-a-day. Here are the observations and players of the day.

Offensive player of the day: WR Patrick Crayton. Solid again. Had a TD catch in the red zone drill and got open for deep out route on a flea flicker in team drills.

Defensive player of the day: Not much playmaking this afternoon by the defense. But DE Jason Hatcher had an impressive rush and broke up a Brad Johnson pass during the red zone drill.

Who beat who?: One-on-one battles. ... DE Chris Canty over LG Kyle Kosier. LG Pat McQuistan over Canty. ... C Andre Gurode over NT Junior Siavii. ... NT/DE Jay Ratliff dead even with RG Leonard Davis. ... LT Flozell Adams over OLB DeMarcus Ware. ... C Andre Gurode over NT Remi Ayodele. ... Davis over NT/DE Marcus Spears.

C'mon Bennett: Heard TEs coach John Garrett getting on rookie Martellus Bennett to keep up his tempo and energy. This came when he was lagging back to the huddle. Bad body language continues for this guy.

The replacements: TEs Tony Curtis and Martellus Bennett working with the first team with Jason Witten sitting out. LB Kevin Burnett took Zach Thomas' spot and Sam Hurd worked in Terrell Owens' position.

Hey honey, daughter: Wade Phillips' wife Laurie and daughter/actress Tracy attended practice and sat in chairs near the field. Laurie was looking over the roster picking her final 53 in case Wade needs help.

Still out: The longer cornerback Alan Ball (sprained ankle) is out the harder it might be to make this team. Same for TCU product Quincy Butler (hamstring). CB Terence Newman still out with a strained groin and doing plenty of coaching now. Good thing because Dave Campo's voice is gone.

Wrong spot: TE Tony Curtis lined up on the wrong side of the formation in team drills and Jason Garrett got on his to shift to the strong side. Not good on a day you get first-team reps.

Inside runner: Who said Felix Jones is only a perimeter runner? He is showing a burst through the middle on inside runs and showed a little wiggle on a cut through the defense this afternoon.

There's Pacman: It's been a quiet few days for Pacman. He made a nice play on Sunday breaking up a long pass intended for Miles Austin along the sidelines. He popped the ball up and Austin almost caught it off the deflection.

Bill loved those: Garrett's working with a flea flicker in his playbook which was one of Bill Parcells' staples to try and get his offense going.

What do I do?: Jason Witten didn't know what to do getting a day off for the first time in his six-year career. He looked awkward doing stretching drills on the side.

We're not going out: The players didn't have meetings last night and were given a 1 a.m. curfew. Interestingly, not many players decided to go out. Wade's working these guys.

Being cautious: OLB Greg Ellis' back remains out with a sore back and the Cowboys are being careful with him.

- Rick Herrin

Posted at 08:53 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Ray Sherman breaks down his WRs

Ok, time for wide receivers coach Ray Sherman to give you fans a quick breakdown of his guys after a little over a week of camp....

Terrell Owens: "He's having a great camp. He's a different guy this camp than the last camp I had him. Just the speed factor is the difference. He's faster than last camp.

Patrick Crayton: "He's having a good camp. Steady."

Sam Hurd: "Outstanding camp."

(Q: Ray, of the three young WRs you rank them as far as camp performance.)

A: 1. Sam Hurd; 2. Miles Austin; 3. Isaiah Stanback.

(Q: What is Stanback showing you?)

A: Just his understanding and speed off the ball. He is playing faster and he's not thinking about a lot of things. That's the big difference.

- Rick Herrin

Posted at 09:19 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Flo is dominating people

Cowboys Pro Bowl left tackle Flozell Adams is showing why his re-signing was so valuable to this team. He has been amazing in this training camp.

During one-on-one drills I have not seen him get beat yet. He is dominating everyone he lines up against. Even against OLB DeMarcus Ware, a defensive player of the year candidate. He stops his penetration cold.

Like Pacman getting better going against T.O., Ware gets better facing one of the best in practice every day.

- Rick Herrin

Posted at 09:26 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2174239 said:
We're not going out: The players didn't have meetings last night and were given a 1 a.m. curfew. Interestingly, not many players decided to go out.

What's the betting line on Pacman?

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
can't believe we may have wasted another 2nd rounder on a TE.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2174239 said:
C'mon Bennett: Heard TEs coach John Garrett getting on rookie Martellus Bennett to keep up his tempo and energy. This came when he was lagging back to the huddle. Bad body language continues for this guy.

This clown better get it together.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just thought I'd post this blurb here that was in an article in the Daily Zone

Coach Wade Phillips on Sunday defended tight end Martellus Bennett, who has been criticized by some camp observers for seeming to lack the right body language and sense of urgency for a rookie.

Sports Illustrated’s Peter King delivered the latest shot at Bennett, writing on SI.com this past weekend that “Bennett does not impress me. He seems to sulk, and he’s not particularly energetic.”

Phillips, who also has been accused of being too laid back, said perception isn’t reality when it comes to Bennett, a second-round draft pick from Texas A&M.

“Some people are perceived that way,” Phillips said. “If they are kind of laid back, people don’t think they are really into it. I’ve been around people like that, but a lot of them have a lot of desire to do well, and I think he does.

“He executes the plays, and that’s the most important thing. He runs well. His blocking is getting better. He’s been a little inconsistent in catching the ball, but I think that will come.”

Pro Bowl tight end Jason Witten said Bennett’s body language isn’t an issue with his teammates.

“I think naturally that his demeanor is a little bit, kind of laid back,” Witten said. “But (tight ends coach) John Garrett isn’t giving him much room to breath. (Bennett) understands that. And naturally he understands he’s got to be upbeat.”

With Witten given the day off Sunday by Phillips, Bennett got reps with the first team.
“He’s doing good,” Witten said. “He still has a long way to go as far as his speed and execution. But it was good for him to get in there some.”

reddyuta

Reaction score
no use complaning now-they must have known about his laid back approach before the draft.It looks like bennett is a garrett pick.We gave up a good WR for this guy.good thing is he has time on his side behind Witten.only thing he has to do before the season starts is get his blocking down together.

Boysboy

Reaction score
reddyuta;2174306 said:
no use complaning now-they must have known about his laid back approach before the draft.It looks like bennett is a garrett pick.We gave up a good WR for this guy.good thing is he has time on his side behind Witten.only thing he has to do before the season starts is get his blocking down together.

Actually-all of the decent WRs were already off the board when it came our turn to pick.

reddyuta

Reaction score
Boysboy;2174375 said:
Actually-all of the decent WRs were already off the board when it came our turn to pick.

I know-i was thinking of JJ's idea of moving up in the 2nd.

Boysboy

Reaction score
reddyuta;2174380 said:
I know-i was thinking of JJ's idea of moving up in the 2nd.

FWIW-despite the Bennett pick, our other draft choices are very good.(In particular, Choice, Scandrac, and Walden could become very good assets in the long run)

If anything-trading up in the 2nd round might have very well prevented us from nabbing one of those nuggets in the later rounders.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
It's not everyday you find a TE of his size along with the speed. Could be a major assett for the run game this year and the same for the passing game more than likely next year. Take 'em when you can get them.

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
Teague31;2174277 said:
Especially since we already had Tony Curtis who has played well IMO.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
I want to see Bennett in a game before I jump on the kid, everyone is diffrent.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Teague31;2174277 said:
Chief;2174289 said:
This clown better get it together.
Coakleys Dad;2174358 said:
Ben_n_austin;2174373 said:
:banghead:

(I'm not a fan.)

We should have known better--he's an Aggie.
austintodallas;2174417 said:
Especially since we already had Tony Curtis who has played well IMO.
Wow this kid hasn't even got to his first preseason game as a rook and look at the heat he is taking. Granted the news in the OP isn't what we like to read, it's still way way way to early for some to be throwing him under the bus already.

reddyuta

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2174473 said:
Exactly who did we give up?

not exactly give up but I was all ready for trading up getting a WR and so was JJ who was persuaded by others to stay put and we got bennett instead.Its still very early though.lets see how he does in the pre-season games.

Boysboy

Reaction score
reddyuta;2174483 said:
not exactly give up but I was all ready for trading up getting a WR and so was JJ who was persuaded by others to stay put and we got bennett instead.Its still very early though.lets see how he does in the pre-season games.

IF we had traded up in the 2nd round, we more likely would have forefitted our other draft picks(i.e. Choice, Scandrac, and Walden-all of whom will likely become valuable assets to us in the long run).

I'm as bummed about Bennett as you guys are, but come on-let's at least be happy with what we HAVE, NOT fret over any of our mistakes. If anything, the rest of our draft picks are very good thus far.