FWST Blog: Wild about Dez/Romo holds court

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wild about Dez
Dez Bryant was first on the field and I think he was last off the field at the training camp opener today. He looked impressive in his debut (yes, it is just one day) and then played to the crowd, which was loving the new kid in town.

Said Tony Romo of Bryant: "We’ve had plenty of players when you come in in the first round, you’ve done something right up to that point for a good reason. Dez is a good football player and I think he’s showing people that. I’ve said it before we have a very deep receiving corps and it’s going to be fun to watch them go out and play."

Said Roy Williams: "Everybody’s seen him. He’s a heck of a player. He’ll help us out. He had some spectacular grabs out there and he’s just a guy who’s eager. We know the technical part of it. You guys just see the catches. You don’t see the small things we do. We want him to help us, so we have to help him help us."

Coach Wade Phillips was reserved on getting too high or low on any particular player, but he liked Bryant's eagerness in getting out there immediately.

"That’s what you want from rookies, no matter who they are," he said. "You want a guy who wants to be out there, wants to play football. I don’t think those things have ever been questioned about him. We’re talking about one day, but I said it in minicamp: He’s looked as any guy I’ve seen in that position in a long time. That’s what I feel about him. Just like all of us, we’ve got a long way to go. But he’s got a lot of ability, there’s no doubt."

Posted at 06:32 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Romo holds court
Tony Romo talked after practice today, not surprisingly with a huge media horde surrounding him. The Cowboys quarterback had a solid first day of training camp, and talked about how he thought he's improved entering this season.

"For me, a big part of the enjoyment of football and athletics in general is just the improvement inside, figuring out a way how to go out and improve and be better than you were last year at this exact time. I’m excited about what our team’s done and I’m excited the growth of a lot of players. I’d like to think that I’ve gotten better. I know it excites me to know that I’m doing certain things with a level of improvement."

Oh, and he also addressed his comments at the kickoff show last night, when he said he'd see everyone at the Super Bowl this year:

"I told them I’d see them (one way or another). I think everybody who lines up and plays this game envisions every season that they play where they’d like to be at the end of the year. You wouldn’t be the competitor or have that attitude if you didn’t think your team had a chance, or individually you would have a chance to play in a Super Bowl one day. That’s the way we line up every time we go out to work in the 100 degree heat. That’s why we do all those things in the off-season so that one day you can play in that."

-- Tracey Myers

Posted at 06:26 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBack (0)

Read more: http://startelegramsports.typepad.com/cowboys/#ixzz0ueHMYrIM

The Emperor

Marcus Aurelius Maximus
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3468240 said:
We’re talking about one day, but I said it in minicamp: He’s looked as any guy I’ve seen in that position in a long time. That’s what I feel about him.

Really, Wade? Even better than Miles Austin?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
speedkilz88;3468272 said:
They didn't even know what they had in Austin until that KC game.
I disagree. Todd Archer was talking him back in 2007.

Injuries more than anything held Austin back. Always getting nicked up at the wrong time.

Primetime42

Reaction score
"I told them I’d see them (one way or another). I think everybody who lines up and plays this game envisions every season that they play where they’d like to be at the end of the year. You wouldn’t be the competitor or have that attitude if you didn’t think your team had a chance, or individually you would have a chance to play in a Super Bowl one day. That’s the way we line up every time we go out to work in the 100 degree heat. That’s why we do all those things in the off-season so that one day you can play in that."

That's my quarterback.

The Emperor

Marcus Aurelius Maximus
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;3468275 said:
I disagree. Todd Archer was talking him back in 2007.

Injuries more than anything held Austin back. Always getting nicked up at the wrong time.

Yeah, but Todd Archer's not on the Dallas staff. So, I think speedkilz88 is still correct. The coaching staff didn't know what they had 'til Week 5 when they were forced to play Austin due to injuries.

Kind of like Tashard Choice in 2008.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Emperor;3468291 said:
Yeah, but Todd Archer's not on the Dallas staff. So, I think speedkilz88 is still correct. The coaching staff didn't know what they had 'til Week 5 when they were forced to play Austin due to injuries.

Kind of like Tashard Choice in 2008.
The thing about the media is you do have to respect that they may know or have access to things that they don't report. Archer's one of those who I tend to pay attn to since his reporting is extremely level-headed.

So while it took them to Week 5 for him to get extensive playing time, no way I can believe that the staff didn't know what kinda player they had in Austin and he'd been on the roster for four years.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Thats the thing though. Its as if they don't know what they have.

Makes no sense sometimes.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
"I know it excites me to know that I’m doing certain things with a level of improvement."

:)