U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By RICK HERRIN
spacer.gif

[size=-1]Star-Telegram Staff Writer[/size]
spacer.gif

IRVING - Cowboys quarterback Drew Bledsoe has been living frantically in his new NFL home.

"I would like to play with a lead for awhile," Bledsoe said.

The Cowboys' wild fourth-quarter finishes have become an early-season pattern, putting Bledsoe in the crosshairs of winning and losing games. He has responded to the last-minute urgency, but he's wondering why the Cowboys can't fire early like they have late.

Dallas has been outscored 24-0 in the first quarter this season.

"We need to come out with the same urgency on the first drive that we seem to have in the fourth quarter," Bledsoe said. "We have the weapons, and we have the horsepower. When you see us in the fourth quarter, all of a sudden we're picking up chunks and moving the ball consistently."

The slow starts have led to a pattern of crazy endings. The close finishes caught up with the Cowboys in last week's 19-13 loss at Oakland. Dallas' four games have been decided by a combined 14 points, and each came down to the closing minutes.

"You can't be in too many games like that," Cowboys cornerback Aaron Glenn said. "They even out on you."

A fast start rates as a must-need against defending NFC champion Philadelphia (3-1) at 3:15 p.m. Sunday at Texas Stadium. The Eagles are airing it out at a record pace behind Donovan McNabb and have beaten Dallas (2-2) nine of the past 10 meetings by an average of 22 points.

"It has become a cycle for us that we haven't gotten out of yet," Cowboys tight end Dan Campbell said. "You just hope that everybody has a sense of urgency about a game like this and everybody focuses on their job from the beginning of the game to the end."

The Cowboys have been derailed in the first quarter by mistakes, protection breakdowns and turnovers. Of their nine first-quarter drives, the Cowboys have two fumbles, a missed field goal and six punts.

But coach Bill Parcells isn't too concerned. Yet.

"I don't think that's something I'm extremely worried about," Parcells said. "We weren't in all-out attack mode in any of these games when we're trying to make plays early in the game."

Instead, Parcells would rather start conservatively and avoid negative plays and turnovers which could create opponents' momentum. But those types of plays are still coming without the Cowboys being in attack mode. Parcells wants to play his style of running and controlling the time of possession to help aid his defense.

Bledsoe said the early play-calling has included down-the-field strikes like the Cowboys are making late in games. Those plays have been thwarted by a variety of errors.

"The mistakes that we're making and setting us back are occurring early in these games," Bledsoe said. "We just have to come out with the focus and the intensity from the first snap that we're going to put the ball in the end zone right away."

Bledsoe has thrown for 117 yards in the first quarter, easily the lowest output of any quarter, and is averaging only five yards per completion. The Cowboys aren't getting the ball to their playmakers in the first quarter like they are in the fourth. Terry Glenn, who leads the team with 400 receiving yards, has only 21 yards in the first quarter.

In the fourth quarter, Bledsoe has thrown for 381 yards and three touchdowns, and Glenn has 215 receiving yards.

"Why can't we give somebody our best shot early instead of taking everybody else's?" Campbell said. "I've never been in a fight where I like taking somebody's best shot before I get one."

Nguyen still questionable

Linebacker Dat Nguyen (stinger) returned to practice Friday but remains questionable for Sunday's game against the Eagles.

Nguyen was held out of practice Thursday to undergo tests on his neck.

Bill Parcells said the tests revealed no structural damage. Parcells said he was going to monitor Nguyen before determining if he can play.

Nguyen, who leads the Cowboys in tackles with 31, has started 43 consecutive games dating to 2002.

If Nguyen can't play, Scott Shanle probably will replace him in the starting lineup.

www.dallascowboys.com

IN THE KNOW

Slow starts

The Cowboys have led after the first quarter only three times in their past 10 games. They are 5-5 in those games.

Date First-quarter score Final
10/2/05 Oakland 10, Cowboys 0 - Oakland 19, Cowboys 13
9/25/05 San Francisco 7, Cowboys 0 - Cowboys 34, San Francisco 31
9/19/05 Washington 0, Cowboys 0 - Washington 14, Cowboys 13
9/11/05 San Diego 7, Cowboys 0 - Cowboys 28, San Diego 24
1/2/05 Cowboys 3, N.Y. Giants 0 - N.Y. Giants 28, Cowboys 24
12/26/04 Washington 3, Cowboys 0 - Cowboys 13, Washington 10
12/19/04 Philadelphia 0, Cowboys 0 - Philadelphia 12, Cowboys 7
12/12/04 Cowboys 10, New Orleans 0 - New Orleans 27, Cowboys 13
12/6/04 Seattle 14, Cowboys 3 - Cowboys 43, Seattle 39
11/25/04 Cowboys 7, Chicago 0 - Cowboys 21, Chicago 7

ghst187

Reaction score
Here's our playcalling if we are ahead after the first quarter:

1st down, JJ runs stretch play left, 2 yards
2nd down, JJ runs middle/right for 3 yards
(JJ is tired and comes out)
3rd down, MB III/Thompson runs left for 2 yards
4th down, Mcbriar punts 60 yards.

we all know its true, eventually, we'll throw a flee flicker or half-back pass in there after we've lulled the defense (and crowd) to sleep.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
ghst187 said:
Here's our playcalling if we are ahead after the first quarter:

1st down, JJ runs stretch play left, 2 yards
2nd down, JJ runs middle/right for 3 yards
(JJ is tired and comes out)
3rd down, MB III/Thompson runs left for 2 yards
4th down, Mcbriar punts 60 yards.

we all know its true, eventually, we'll throw a flee flicker or half-back pass in there after we've lulled the defense (and crowd) to sleep.
Mcbriar is quickly becoming our MVP this season. If not for his punting we'd prob be worse off than we currently are.

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
WoodysGirl said:
["Why can't we give somebody our best shot early instead of taking everybody else's?" Campbell said. "I've never been in a fight where I like taking somebody's best shot before I get one."

Dan Campbell is wise beyond his years and he always seems to have the pulse of the team.

Most everyone -- the media, the coaches, Jerry -- talk about how smart this guy is and what a great leader he is. He has a way of cutting through the crap and providing good analysis.

I think Campbell makes a lot of sense with this statement. Football is a game of energy, violence and emotion and it simply goes against the grain of the sport to come out cautious ... which easily can cause players to be timid.

There are aggressive mistakes, sure, but there also are mistakes born from a player who is playing cautious and timid.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
I hate this response by Parcells:

"I don't think that's something I'm extremely worried about," Parcells said. "We weren't in all-out attack mode in any of these games when we're trying to make plays early in the game."

Reeeeealy???? I'm a bit worried about it. How can you execute your game plan when you are constantly playing from behind? Unless that IS your game plan. Geez.

SupermanXx

Benched
Reaction score
If I don't see different style of play-calling in this game, it's time for a new Offensive coordinator or a new coach

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
Mcbriar is quickly becoming our MVP this season. If not for his punting we'd prob be worse off than we currently are.
Nice sig pic.