Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Was this posted? Didn't see it yet.

Tank's debut provides added clout on D-line
By RICK HERRIN
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

696-257951-210908.embedded.prod_affiliate.58.jpg

STAR-TELEGRAM/RON T. ENNIS
Tank Johnson, who said getting double-teamed is "the life of a nose guard," finished with three tackles and a sack.

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Tank Johnson says he is "old news."

But the Cowboys' new nose tackle is nothing but new energy and a new piece to what is becoming an impressive and well-stocked defense. Johnson made a mostly quiet Cowboys debut Sunday in the 31-20 victory against the Giants. He had a fourth-quarter sack of Eli Manning.

"I was pretty rusty," said Johnson, who hadn't played in a game in nine months. "It's good I got one good play out of the whole thing."

Johnson played his first game since Super Bowl XLI with the Chicago Bears and after serving an eight-game suspension for violating the NFL's conduct policy. He entered the game on the second series and was double-teamed by the Giants on his first play.

"That's the life of a nose guard," said the 6-foot-3, 300-pound Johnson.

Johnson, who played three years for the Bears, was part of the defensive line rotation and played mostly on running downs. He got a few chances in passing situations. The Cowboys like Johnson's burst off the line and think he can create a pass rush from the inside. He finished with three tackles and said his conditioning was OK.

"People said Tank is going to help you out in the run game, but with me watching Tank in Chicago, I think he is going to help us out in the pass rush more than guys realize," said outside linebacker Greg Ellis, who had one of the Cowboys' five sacks. "He showed that tonight. It's going to be real exciting playing with him."

After the game, Johnson wanted to deflect the focus from him and toward the team. Regarded as one of the NFL's bad boys after arrests and gun possession charges, Johnson was released by the Bears. As a firm believer in second chances for players, Cowboys owner Jerry Jones wanted to provide one for Johnson in Dallas at little cost. Johnson signed a two-year contract for the league minimum.

"It's really not about me personally anymore," Johnson said. "That's over and done with. It's about this team, the Cowboys and what we're doing together."

As he walked toward the field for pregame warm-ups, Johnson held an intense focus on his face while listening to his headphones. He had told coach Wade Phillips during the week how excited he was to finally play again. Despite not having played for so long, Johnson didn't fight nerves upon his return.

"I've been through it all," Johnson said. "No nerves.

"The word is 'focus' more than 'excited,'" Johnson said. "I want to go out there and do the best that I can for this team that has given me a great opportunity."

Behind the line

The Cowboys sacked Eli Manning five times Sunday, including one by Tank Johnson in his Dallas debut.

Player Loss Qtr.
DeMarcus Ware 14 2nd
Chris Canty 7 2nd
Anthony Spencer 12 2nd
Tank Johnson 1 4th
Greg Ellis 8 4th

Rick Herrin, 817-685-3864
rickherrin@star-telegram.com