FWST - QB getting better with age

k19

Reaction score
NFL NOTES

QB getting better with age

By CHAREAN WILLIAMS

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

When the Chiefs acquired quarterback Trent Green from the Rams, their primary concern was whether he could stay healthy.

Well, Green has made 64 consecutive starts, the longest streak in Chiefs history for quarterbacks, and the fourth-longest active streak in the NFL behind Brett Favre (205), Peyton Manning (112) and Aaron Brooks (69).

But the Chiefs still hope to limit Green's workload in training camp. He just turned 35, and the coaches plan to limit the wear and tear of two-a-days.

"I think he's like Seabiscuit," Chiefs offensive coordinator Al Saunders said. "You've got to pull him back sometimes. He'd work himself to death if he could."

Green was held back during most of the off-season workouts, allowing backups Todd Collins and Damon Huard to get more work.

As for the exact training camp routine, coach Dick Vermeil said: "It depends on how he feels, but it could mean he'll throw in the morning and all of a sudden take the afternoon off. It could mean all of a sudden he doesn't throw at all one day. We run a massive offense, and he needs reps in all of it, but we'll monitor it so he doesn't get too many."

It's a snap

Buccaneers backup quarterback Chris Simms believes he has the solution to his career-long problem with fumbled snaps. The left-hander flipped his hands, putting the right hand on top when he takes the ball from the center. Because centers are more accustomed to right-handed quarterbacks, the exchange is smoother.

"They don't look where they're snapping. They just snap to a spot every time," the former Texas QB said. "It was never bad snaps, just a little off center when I put my left hand in there."

The idea was quarterback coach Paul Hackett's. The only adjustment the center makes is spinning the ball so the laces are on the bottom when it is snapped to match Simms' throwing hand. Simms said he bobbled a snap on the first day he switched, April 5, but not since.

First impressions

It has been 10 years since the Bears had a lineman produce double-digit sacks. Bears defensive end Adewale Ogunleye, the AFC sacks leader in 2003 for the Dolphins, could end that streak this season.

Ogunleye, limited by a lower-leg injury, had only five sacks last season. He is healthy heading into training camp and has second-year tackle Tommie Harris to take off some of the pressure.

"Defensive tackles, Tommie Harris and Ian Scott, are more important to me than the other defensive end," Ogunleye said. "That D-tackle commands the double-team and I get to go one-on-one. I would tell people that Jason Taylor is a great player, but so much of the success I had in Miami was because of Tim Bowens. You can't not double-team him. Tommie is not as big, but he's so fast. He is that good."

Harris, a 2004 first-round pick from Oklahoma, had 43 tackles and 3 1/2 sacks in a successful rookie season.

"He reminds me a lot of [Eagles DT Corey] Simon," Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera said. "Corey is a tremendous player, and I think highly of him, but I believe Tommie will be better."

Price is wrong

It was something of a surprise when second-year pro Michael Jenkins -- a first-round pick of the Falcons in 2004 -- opened at starting flanker, given that he caught only seven passes as a rookie, and spent spring workouts backing up either split end Dez White or Peerless Price. But it's no secret that Price has been a disappointment since the Falcons traded a first-round pick to Buffalo in 2003, and then gave him a seven-year contract worth up to $37 million.

Price caught 64 passes in 2003, and only 45 last season. He scored three touchdowns each season after 16 in his final two seasons in Buffalo.

"We want to stir the pot a little bit, and it seemed the right time to do it," Falcons coach Jim Mora said. "We want to create some competition, and we figured if we really wanted to do it, don't go with what's comfortable. Right now the plan is to keep Mike there and let him compete."

The Falcons also have unsigned first-round draft pick Roddy White.

Vikes DT healthy

Vikings coach Mike Tice revealed that defensive tackle Kevin Williams played with a torn meniscus late last season. Williams had off-season surgery and sat out the team's mini-camp and four developmental camps.

Williams was ordered to lose weight, and he's within 10 pounds of the Vikings' target of 311, Tice said.