Garrett over Sean Payton?

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
I know some believe that Dak going on a hot streak in 2016 was a "bad" thing for the team because it lead to Romo leaving and the Cowboys sticking with Dak.

But, remember how Garrett had the Offense rolling when Jerry decided to make him the next coach after Wade. When Sean Payton had the potential to be the Cowboys coach. Honest question but do you believe that the Cowboys would have at least one Superbowl win by now under Payton. Or is Jerry Jones involvement with the team too much for even Payton to overcome.

I rather have had Payton even though the Saints fell off some. He can't be worse than Garrett is. Garrett looking like he could have been a good head coach just because the Cowboys offense was on a uptick at the time of his hiring, is a bigger fluke that some believe Dak's 2016 season was.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Your timeline is wrong. Payton was long gone before garret arrived in Dallas and got the offense "rolling".

Been a while so I don't exactly remember how it all went down. But, do you believe Jerry should have tried to keep Payton over Garrett?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Been a while so I don't exactly remember how it all went down. But, do you believe Jerry should have tried to keep Payton over Garrett?

Jerry would have loved to have Sean Payton. But, nobody knew that 2006 would be Parcel's last season. BP's resignation was a surprise. So, the timing was wrong. But Jerry has flirted with Payton for years. In 2010 their were rumors of Jerry talking to Sean and again in 2016.

CB61

Reaction score
Yes Sean Payton was gone long before Jason Garrett got to Dallas but Jerry Jones could have made him assistant head coach knowing and anybody that didn't know Bill Parcells was going to stick around long had to have their head in the sand and then Sean Payton could have taken over easily now is he the best coach? Far Cry better than Jason Garrett as far as I'm concerned

CB61

Reaction score
Yes Sean Payton was gone long before Jason Garrett got to Dallas but Jerry Jones could have made him assistant head coach knowing and anybody that didn't know Bill Parcells was going to stick around long had to have their head in the sand and then Sean Payton could have taken over easily now is he the best coach? Far Cry better than Jason Garrett as far as I'm concerned
Dallas had to give Sean Payton permission to speak to the Saints or vice versa same difference they could have been denied that and made him assistant head coach

CB61

Reaction score
Certainly would do more than stand on the sidelines and clap

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Dallas had to give Sean Payton permission to speak to the Saints or vice versa same difference they could have been denied that and made him assistant head coach

I don't think that is true. I don't think you can stop a coach from interviewing for a HC position, only other positions. It used to "a promotion" as the guideline but lots of teams were creating titles, such as Asst HC that they changed the rule. The one exception I believe is that during the NFL season, you can't interview other coaches from other teams, like if we fired Garrett, we couldn't go find an OC of a current team and snag them away. But after the season has ended, any coach can interview for a HC position if they want to.

CB61

Reaction score
I don't think that is true. I don't think you can stop a coach from interviewing for a HC position, only other positions. It used to "a promotion" as the guideline but lots of teams were creating titles, such as Asst HC that they changed the rule. The one exception I believe is that during the NFL season, you can't interview other coaches from other teams, like if we fired Garrett, we couldn't go find an OC of a current team and snag them away. But after the season has ended, any coach can interview for a HC position if they want to.
My understanding at the time as they had to give permission for the Saints to talk to Peyton which they did very quickly my point was no matter how that process took place is that Jerry should have tried to convince Peyton to stay with us although we can't be 100% sure I still believe we would have been much better off than the route we took as far as how it all happened guidelines doesn't really matter

CB61

Reaction score
I tried to look it up and all I could find is we had to have permission from the Dolphins talk to Jason Garrett so I'm not really sure what all happened with it but it's all water under the bridge now anyway again my point was that we should have tried to keep him knowing Parcells wouldn't be around forever

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Yes,. Payton + Romo = one Superbowl and several more playoff wins.

Payton is good buds with Jerry. This idea that Jerry would constantly hamstring him is nonsense.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
The offense was junk when JG was named HC in 2010.

He built an offense that was good in 2007 before defenses figured it out, and it has been an uphill struggle ever since.