Twitter: Garrett PC Thread - 07/24/13 talks Wilcox, Bass, Wilber, Johnson

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Carlos A. Mendez ‏@calexmendez 22m
Rod Marinelli's been talking to reporters for almost half an hour. Dropping knowledge like he's the real DC. pic.twitter.com/TKGV5THVN9
First question for Garrett is about Ben Bass. He's instinctive, Garrett says. 'Just one of those guys.'
Wilber, too, needs time and to get bigger. Just like Bass, Garrett says.
Garrett says Matt Johnson is one of those guys 'you have to protect from themselves, dial them back' in their preparation.
Sounds like Garrett still high on Jounson. But clear he wants him to play. A lot. Soon.
Garrett on Wilcox: 'He hits way too much.' Admires it but needs him to cut that out lol
Garrett evaluates first day in pads: 'It was ok.' Pause. 'It was ok.'
Garrett says Ratliff might still need a couple weeks. 'But that's still early.'

Brandon George ‏@dmn_george 15m
Cowboys DT Jason Hatcher is high on DL Ben Bass: "Bass is going to be the reason I'm playing on a different team next year."
Jason Garrett on Ben Bass: "He was kind of young in his body last year and he just needed to get stronger." He has.
Jason Garrett says DE Kyle Wilber still needs to develop his body and get stronger. Making move from OLB.
Jason Garrett: He just needs to play more. Still like him.
That was Garrett talking about Matt Johnson, who is off to a bit of a slow start in camp.
Jason Garrett: Rookie safety J.J. Wilcox tackles too much in practice. He tells him, "Keep doing that, but stop doing that."
Jason Garrett says Tony Romo and Dez Bryant are instinctive players. Says Dez really tracks the ball well in the air.
Jason Garrett said that DT Jay Ratliff won't be back until at least next week and may not be back for a couple of weeks.

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 13m
DeMarcus Ware told me this is indeed him wearing a Jerry Jones mask at Papa John's commercial shoot. #scary pic.twitter.com/v6ggqrbiBr
Jason Garrett: Ben Bass, an undrafted rookie FA who's working at first team DE, is an example of "it doesn't matter where you come from."
Garrett: Matt Johnson is 1 of those players u sometimes have to protect them from themselves. MJ missed all last year w/ hamstring injuries.

Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez 9m
#Cowboys working Ben Bass with 1st-team d-line in light of Anthony Spencer injury. @Gil_Brandt has championed Ben for a while @SiriusXMNFL

Charean Williams ‏@NFLCharean 6m
Garrett says rookie JJ Wilcox does too much tackling. "Don't do that but keep doing that," Garrett says of Wilcox's nature.

Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr 5m
Jason Garrett compared Sean lee and rookie jj Wilcox to bill bates. They tackle to much in practice. Which is good and bad. Don't slow down

mike fisher ‏@fishsports 39s
Garrett says Kiffin was Nebraska Athlete of the Year in 1958: 'He's told me that 412 times.' Dale Hansen, btw, finished 2nd. #cowboys

[URL='https://twitter.com/nickeatman']Nick Eatman ‏@nickeatman 19s
Cowboys will sign DE George Selvie today..Landon Cohen is expected to sign as well .. Need to cut a player to sign both .. Could be a WR
[/URL]

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
When explaining the situation to Wilcox, Garrett just needs to point to Scandrick, lol.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Good stuff. Having Marinelli is an incredible asset. I feel much better about Kiffin with Marinelli there.

Ratliff out a couple of weeks is, I guess, not a complete surprise. I am hoping Ratliff somehow reverse the slow decline we've seen in his production since 2008, however, I have a bad feeling his body has been too badly beat up playing as an undersized 3-4 NT the past half a decade or so... I dunno if he has anything left in the tank.

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Jason Garrett explaining the hypotenuse like only an Ivy-leager can.