Generic holdout question

Cowboy from New York

Reaction score
I'm still not concerned about the status of our top three rookies, think they'll all be in by Monday for sure. But it got me thinking, by position, how badly do you think long holdouts effect a players development in that first year from college to pro?
I would think most would agree that QB would be effected the most by a holdout with the need to digest an entirely new playbook and being the director of it all on the field.
RBs I dont see as being particulary effected but a more complex scheme may make some difference. Picking up zone blocking schemes is probabaly what gets the worst of that situation.
WRs, again by scheme and depending on if your a number 1,2 or 3rd/4th guy cold make a holdout quite devestating for this position, and most wideouts even with an entire training camp usually take a year to really be strong at the position.
TEs, blocking TE should have no problems and they dont seem to run as complex number of routes as a WR so I guess this position would be at the lower end of the spectrum.
O-lineman, a center and LT would probably be in a world of hurt the further a holdout went in to camp with the center having the responsibility to make the line calls and the rookie LT having to pickup the speed of the pro game. Teams can hide players at one guard position so I'll grade that position lower and RT would be in between somewhere, depending on the help u could get with a vet TE or vet guard(like we now have with Rivera)
Corners, very shceme dependant, some players can step right in and be effective if they come from a scheme similar to the one their new pro team runs.
Safeties, usually the field general for the secondary, like Woody but if u came to a team with a strong pass rush and were just back playing centerfield or cover 2 help well then a new kid might be able to endure a holdout and still get some playing time.
LBs given the complexity of today's defenses I dont think a rookie could miss a lot of camp and be ableto contribute significantly to his team. Again, I think Ware will be in promptly but as an example, he is already changing positions from college so a holdout in that situation would really be a disaster for his development, although I suppose he could still be used as a situational pass rusher after a presumed holdout and just let loose, where he could still make a good contribution.
D-line, if we didnt have a vet like Ferguson, a rookie coming in to run the nose tackle for a team just switching to it would have a reallly tough time, and in general, like WRs it usually takes a year for guys at this postion to "get it" and really start playing instead of just reacting so a holdout here could really sink a young career.Like the Ware situation a pure pass rusher type might be able to come in and do his thing but a DE required to do it all like Spears will be would really need all the teaching he can get.
Kickers-Punters , just kidding.....
JMO, anyone else have thoughts on the matter?

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
I agree with the QB and Oline but I'd think LB is one of the hardest due to all the coverages, reads, and a much larger playbook. The LB has to normally know what the DL is doing you say the saftey is the general but most teams the LB's call the D coverages when theres a change at the line not the FS or SS if that was the case you'd risk the DL not hearing a change.

So I agree with you

QB then
LB then
OL