Giants fans: Their perspective of the Cowboys

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys, some please explain? : Cyclonus : 8/11/06 5:14 PM
I am just not seeing, so someone please explain to me why the Cowboys are considered one of the better teams in the NFC and possible the NFL.
Maybe im too pessimistic, or maybe im not looking hard enough, but here is what i see: A qb that chokes under pressure, an inconsistent and unproven running game, questionable offensive line, average special teams and a young D. Now i do firmly believe that once some of their younger guys (Canty, Ware, etc.) get more experience that D will be top notch, but right now i dont see them doing that much more than last year. Clearly not like they did in 03.

I obviously didnt mention their pass catchers cause they are stacked there. OH, their backup qb situation is just sickening.

Follow up comments...

The media loves TO : old timer : 8/11/06 5:17 PM
Loves em.

My brother the Cowboy fan tells me : SGMen : 8/11/06 5:17 PM
Their OL will be fine once the season starts as Colombo will be the RT. If that is true then their offense will score some serious points. On D they have some serious potential to be dominant. They just don't have as much depth as we do on the OL or the DL, IMO, and hence they will once again struggle should the injury bug hit. If it doesn't hit then they will be a very strong team. The key is whether Bledsoe can get through a 16 game schedule in one piece.

The other big ? : Phil S : 8/11/06 5:21 PM
is whether TO melts down again. For Dallas the good news is that he usually behaves in his first season with a team. A healthy and productive tandem of Owens and Glenn along with Witten at tight end is a dangerous passing game. If Bledsoe has decent time to throw he is a good passer. The O line seems like their biggest ?. The D looks good.

Cyclonus, : ShOcKwAvE 80 : 8/11/06 5:21 PM
As a Giants fan, I see no reason why Dallas can't win 10 games this year they seem pretty good to me.

Dallas Cowboys : Rick from Dallas : 8/11/06 5:23 PM
season will depend on the performance of their OL.I f given adequate time Bledsoe will complete passes to Owens,Glenn and Witten.Running back tandem of Jones and Barber is young but could be very good if the OL( once again) holds up.
I expect their defense to be a top ten defense.They have tremendous speed on the edges and a very good secondary.Two questions on defense will be the play of Ferguson at nose tackle and Keith Davis at free safety.They have two second year DE's in the three/four that thet are very excited about in Chris Canty and Jay Ratliff.Parcells finally likes the LB's on the team and Ware could be a special player.

Finally the special teams has been improved by adding Vanderjat as the placekicker.They lost two hanes last year on missed FG's at the end of games.

if healthy : Chris in Naples : 8/11/06 5:24 PM
they have some talent on both sides of the ball...that guy who's their coach does a pretty good job too.

maybe : Cyclonus : 8/11/06 5:29 PM
my problem is that i was looking at consistency more than their skill positions. They were erractic at times last year looking like a dominant playoff team then come back and stink it up. If they can stay consistent and healthy they should be good.
i still dont believe in Bledsoe.

For the most part, we match up well against them : SGMen : 8/11/06 5:30 PM
Shockey is a mis-match for their safeties and I believe our OL is experienced enough to handle their fronts. I don't think their OL will handle our DL that easily so I can see Bledsoe throwing pics and fumbling with our pass rush. It is key that Cory Webster is super solid by the time we face them because those receivers are studs.
I also think our special teams are among the league's top five and I'm not so sure their specials are quite that good even with K Mike Vanderjagt.

Their new Kicker has been having a : geemanfan : 8/11/06 5:30 PM
Bad camp and their O line is suspect.

Rick I have a question? : ShOcKwAvE 80 : 8/11/06 5:31 PM
I like to read a lot about other teams camps in our divsion, and for Dallas the player I keep hearing a lot about is Pat Watkins the 6'5 FS from FSU.......... They seem pretty high on this kid from reading about him it seems like Parcells quiety likes him and do you think he might start over Keith Davis. He seems like just the player Dallas needs to put Roy Williams closer to the line of scrimmage and Watkins would play the center field role.

they've got : Sir-Yes-Sir : 8/11/06 5:31 PM
a good coach, two good backs, a qb with limitations but he has some strengths too, an athletic defense which will play well and also make some mistakes, and I'll tell you right now I'd trade all three of our backup qb's for Romo. He's starting to be looked at the way Matt Schaub is, a young guy with alot of promise.

Shockwave 80 : Rick from Dallas : 8/11/06 5:42 PM
Your absolutely right about Pat Watkins who is challenging Keith Davis.Training camp reports on Watkins are very encouraging.In some of their defensive sets in training camp,they have moved Roy Williams to LB as he is a stud against the run and a good blitzer on pass situations.
Romo has shown improvement in camp as well as Drew Henson who has been in the Tuna's dog house for three years.

their running game is : MBavaro : 8/11/06 6:09 PM
more than proven, and their defense, although young, I VERY dangerous. BUT, with Drew at the helm, they've got problems.

Their run D : Enoch : 8/11/06 6:15 PM
was a weakness last season. They were very good at stopping long runs (i.e., their secondary and non-play-side LBs are good at pursuit tackling), but gave up lots of runs in the 4-8 yard range or so (i.e., their linemen and play-side linebackers got out-muscled).

Enoch : SGMen : 8/11/06 6:19 PM
Interesting because with Diehl and Snee I think we'll be able to run inside very well on them. Ferguson is good but not great. My brother also told me that Ellis will be used at LB this year? Big LB?? Maybe only on run downs???

I cant see a scenario : JoeMP2003 : 8/11/06 6:30 PM
where BOTH Washington and Dallas are good. You are putting a lot of creeky, fragile eggs into a basket by hoping two guys in their mid 30s can stay healthy all season in Bledsoe and Brunnell. Whichever one stays upright will be our comp in this division

JoeMP2003 : SGMen : 8/11/06 6:33 PM
Brunell was not very good down the stretch last year and his arm isn't what it once was. No way he is better this year. What Brunell has going for him is that OL and run game...they will help.
Bledsoe is not very good under pressure which is why I think we'll beat them twice. Yes, twice. That will be the key to our winning the division. Football is all about matchups and while they certainly havesome advantages our D will have geled by the time we play them and be good enough. Our offense has a lot of versatility and we have Tiki too.

Also, they have Parcells : lawrence56 : 8/11/06 6:44 PM
I know alot of guuys hear dont like him. But, he gets results!

lawrence : JoeMP2003 : 8/11/06 6:49 PM
when was the last time Parcells won his division. 1998?

Parcells is a solid coach, no doubt, but without : SGMen : 8/11/06 6:50 PM
Belicik, Weis, Crennel and so forth he isn't as good. My gut tells me Dallas is there to the end but they fade very late because the OL and Bledsoe just can't make it.

i'm not sold on dallas either... : bceagle05 : 8/11/06 6:57 PM
Parcells has traditionally liked to play field position, ball-control type football. He tries to win the 20-17 type game. But his personnel doesn't translate to that. He has a QB that makes mistakes under pressure, a suspect running game, and a talented but young D that may not be able to handle 60 minutes of disciplined football due to inexperience at several spots. I'm interested to see if Parcells can actually bite the bullet and play a more wide open style, something a contemporary like Larry Brown couldn't do

Bledsoe is the weak link : JohnB : 8/11/06 7:00 PM
Glenn is pretty good and deserves some touches and will get them. TO is TO and wants it 100% of the time. So with fewer throws going to the WR's positions due to Bledoe limited abilities and with Glenn getting a certain percentage of those touches, TO will meltdown sometime during the season because he isn't getting enough attention/touches. This willbe bad news for the 'Boys. And the media will be watching like a hawk to see it happen. As soon as a crack appears, ESPN, NBS, CBS, USAToday and everyone else will over-report the story. Good!
The Cowboys are good and will be in the mix but they are not going deep into the playoffs.

all the parcells hate : lawrence56 : 8/11/06 7:04 PM
He has been successful on every team hes coached.

he got to the playoffs with Q carter eh : lawrence56 : 8/11/06 7:05 PM
bledsoe is better than that wouldnt you agree?

icyhot

Reaction score
Gryphon said:
Dallas Cowboys, some please explain? : Cyclonus : 8/11/06 5:14 PM
I am just not seeing, so someone please explain to me why the Cowboys are considered one of the better teams in the NFC and possible the NFL.
Maybe im too pessimistic, or maybe im not looking hard enough, but here is what i see: A qb that chokes under pressure, an inconsistent and unproven running game, questionable offensive line, average special teams and a young D. Now i do firmly believe that once some of their younger guys (Canty, Ware, etc.) get more experience that D will be top notch, but right now i dont see them doing that much more than last year. Clearly not like they did in 03.

I obviously didnt mention their pass catchers cause they are stacked there. OH, their backup qb situation is just sickening.

Follow up comments...
They seem to know their football without the homerism,unlike some of our NFC East opponents.

Gryphon

Merge Ahead
Reaction score
I agree. It is interesting to see how we are viewed by fans of other teams in our division.

Lurker49152

Reaction score
Gryphon said:
Finally the special teams has been improved by adding Vanderjat as the placekicker.They lost two hanes last year on missed FG's at the end of games.

Lost two Hanes? How did that happen - did Larry Allen give Jose Cortez wedgies after each miss?

MONT17

Reaction score
I have to admit I hate Giant fans more than any other NFC east fans... only because they know their football... unlike other NFC east fans who just wanna talk trash!

Giants fans will break it down for you... pretty much saying your team sucks and there is nothing u can do about it! But when their team sucks they will rag on the Giants more than anyone!

that makes me mad!!!

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
I like how almost all of them mentioned Bledsoe as a weakness, yet they are banking on Eli. who hasnt proved himself to be consistant either.

J-DOG

Reaction score
i'm not sold on dallas either... : bceagle05 : 8/11/06 6:57 PM
Parcells has traditionally liked to play field position, ball-control type football. He tries to win the 20-17 type game. But his personnel doesn't translate to that. He has a QB that makes mistakes under pressure, a suspect running game, and a talented but young D that may not be able to handle 60 minutes of disciplined football due to inexperience at several spots. I'm interested to see if Parcells can actually bite the bullet and play a more wide open style, something a contemporary like Larry Brown couldn't do

This is what I notice too.
Parcells is very conservative and while at times it helps us...a lot of other times it hurts our chances.
If Parcells can let out the leash just a little bit more I think we can win games without having it come down to the last minute.
Strange seeing an opposing fan noticing the same thing.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Muhast said:
I like how almost all of them mentioned Bledsoe as a weakness, yet they are banking on Eli. who hasnt proved himself to be consistant either.
It doesn't make the point about Bledsoe any less valid.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
Several well informed opinions.

My reaction to Giants fans is just the opposite of MONT17. I don't mind them much.

Actually, I've never disliked the Giants all that much. The Giants produced Landry and Parcells. Dan Reeves went on to coach there. And it is just easier to dislike the Commanders and Eagles more (maybe part of it is George Allen and Buddy Ryan).

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
Heh, its always good to hear wut others say. we aint gonna bash em. If thats wut they think its ok, I really did not expect anything different. Trully enuff, can say its real hard to have division-rivals give props to their opponents. Only good thing I read in there is about our D.

:star:

burmafrd

Reaction score
No depth on DL? uh huh. We were weak up the middle late last year due to injuries. Our secondary is so much better then theirs its not funny but they will not admit it. I can sniff fear of our D. Eli stank late last year and they think he is better then Bledsoe? He was getting good protection while BLedsoe was getting racked up. But he is better. sure. They have a few questions on their O line as well- Pettigout is having back problems all the time and they have no one to replace him.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
they've got : Sir-Yes-Sir : 8/11/06 5:31 PM
a good coach, two good backs, a qb with limitations but he has some strengths too, an athletic defense which will play well and also make some mistakes, and I'll tell you right now I'd trade all three of our backup qb's for Romo. He's starting to be looked at the way Matt Schaub is, a young guy with alot of promise.

Arrest this man. We can't have people like this freely walking the streets.

Glenn Carano

Reaction score
I'm surprised. Most of these guys actually know what their talking about and answered the question objectively.

ringmaster

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
No depth on DL? uh huh. We were weak up the middle late last year due to injuries. Our secondary is so much better then theirs its not funny but they will not admit it. I can sniff fear of our D. Eli stank late last year and they think he is better then Bledsoe? He was getting good protection while Bledsoe was getting racked up. But he is better. sure. They have a few questions on their O line as well- Pettigout is having back problems all the time and they have no one to replace him.
We are better in some areas than the Gints, but yet Eli Manning, is better than Bledsoe, give me a break.

I must admit that Strahan, and Umenyoria are top notch DEs, in the NFL, but how can a Gints fan, say hey the Cowboys, won't be any good this year as compare to last year when they themselves might not be as good as they think.

This division will be wide open as to who might win it this year.

While I'm not yet sold on the o-line for the Cowboys, they might turn out to be good than most people think.

The running game is weak only if JJ, is injured and wouldn't write off MB3, that easily either but Jones, needs to stay healthy this season and if he could and the o-line keeps him clean then he will be a Pro-Bowler.

If I was a Gints fan, I would be worried if this is Tiki Barber's last season if he's retiring after the season and not the the Cowboys.

This fan also touched on the missed FGs, by the Cowboys kickers, but they didn't miss four FGs, like Feely, did against the Hawks, last season so I will be worried about that too.

I would also worry about the status of the overrated LaVar Arrington, and how is his knee coming along.

They too have alot of things to worry about there is no guarantee that any of the NFC East teams, will singlehandedly win the division because this fan was masking his post with the Cowboys' "weaknesses" to tell every fan of the other division teams that they will win the division again.

I must warn him and other fans of every team in the NFC East that it won't be easy.

ravidubey

Reaction score
It's amazing how Bledsoe gets such a rap for "choking" under pressure. I can think of once, Seattle, when this happened, and that situation would never have come about had we not missed a bloody 29 yard field goal and the referees not gotten flag-happy on the Seahawks' last drive.